Michael w's sketchbook

wow so detailed sculpt really awesome.

Thanks Filou and Quickgrid…

I used reference form 3dsk and upgraded the girl texture… so many projections set up on different uv layers then clone brushed into the unwrap it’s good technique as you can warp individual uv layers to fit so it didn’t matter hat the photos were of a different girl in teh end… I did have to hand paint some of teh makeup in teh texture to get it right though.

I think teh photorefs textureing has added a lot!

I needed a break from this model though so thought I’d try a quick self sculpt… point by point modelled rough cage and multires with armature… the likeness is in teh ballpark but to truly look like me needs some tweaks … head proportions, ear and nose especially

Excuse teh dirty BI viewport renders… sometimes I think I should take more care at teh last bit!

and another…

Oh and a wip on the back and better head shape/proportions…

nice to see you posting again, michael, long time… the texturing is great , but what an aggressive pose of your beautiful lady, not fond of that… nice self portrait…the hands though seem way to small… and you seem to sit too often too crouched, if your back is really rounded like that…

refined the face… nose is much more like mine now… mouth too. don’t have enough res to sort the ear… will have to retopologise I think…

Oh, and I thought I’d do a quick cycles render…

and a wider shot:

Thanks Doris… yes it is an aggressive pose…

yes, teh hands shruk as i muti-ressed…

my back is rounded right now… too much cycling and pressups and hunching over a computer and not enough pullups or other back exercises… makes my shoulders pull forward… gives me a terrible posture!

must do some corrective excecises!

Great stuff here Michael! *****! :slight_smile:

Thanks Vicky!

I’m amazed that without facial or bodyhair or glasses it’s still not feeling right… this superquick paintover is MUCH more of a likeness even in this crude state:

makes me want to dig in to teh hair tools again… but this was just supposed to be a quick loosen up sculpt as a break form my main project…

but here’s a closeup with glasses at least:

Here’s a super quick @kit bashed@ concept for a game pitch… I had less than a day to do a key image from nothing.

I used the quad bot and robot hand from Tears of steel )copyright blender foundation) some assets from teh studio I work ats previous games and built a few things from scratch too…

It’s rough but it got the point across and teh studio director liked it a lot…

The above is a video I had to turn around super quick… (rendered in cycles and using cycles based motion blur)

1 and a half days to take base models, make shaders, light animate and render, do an edit and post processing in after effects and output…

Given teh above time constraint I’m pretty happy… it woulld have been nice to be able to do render with more samples and have a more polished environment…

would have been really nice to be able to make the car do something more dynamic… but tight deadlines are tight!

It’s previs for what will ultimately be a game technology rendered in the cloud for car customisation websites… the realtime work done so far is getting close to matching this in visual fidelity!

Just thought I’d share it as it was fun to do!

its been ages since ive posted… thread gt locked automatically! thought id start posting some new stuff

hair is terrible but i got excited about using dyntopo again!

1 Like

and another! preferring blender to zbrush right now… for dynamic sculpting at least!

feels like a weird cop show… or xfiles reboot lol

A sketch of a friend… heavily WIP!

full body sketch!

A"game" style character i worked on a while back when teaching. I’ve just revisited it and have been polishing it up with 2.79 cycles and getting the likeness more accurate (based on a friend)

Dyntopo then substance painter…

polygon hair… its time consuming and tricky… not too happy with that yet. Might need to buy an addon i saw in scripts and themes section! “random walk” SSS is great! loving it.

finally a full body shot!

One more angle… i like the rim light

2 Likes

lucy_eyes

I fixed the bad eye shader! must fix the hair soon!

substance designer and microdisplacement in cycles… textures are intended to be 1k at 2m texel density for a game. I’m quite pleased at this “dirty” test of height blending. I should add that this is 2 materials. at this low resolution they tile really badly so im quite pleased how the height blend and a low res displacement really hides that!

this first has a strong key light to test roughness settings:

!

this hdri is venice dawn from texturehaven

California!

I love using substance designer… have so many things I want to try. gutted i only have it on my work machine.

some more material tests: I’ve been focusing on utility nodes in cycles for masking by arbitrary id maps and height blends and also been looking at fabrics and car paints/carbon fibre… I got the chocofur asset management tool a few days ago so am trying to make libraries for future projects!