Mid Drift 2023

I discovered and started using Blender around version 2.5. I worked on a few game projects. The main one was a game I called Mid Drift. I learned quite a bit in the process and got pretty familiar with the engine. I set it aside for quite a few years while watching the engine progress and grow into something I could use that met the demands of my game. I recently picked it back up when UPBGE 0.3 came out, and I like the new features and UI, but have had to relearn a lot more than I was expecting.

So, after many, many years I’ve decided to pick up the Blender Game Engine and try this project again.

The story is simple. In the distant future we’ve destroyed the earth and have found a new home on a planet far away. The problem is that the planet is already inhabited, so we’ve got to invade it and take it over for ourselves. You’re a space marine sent on a mission with many others to clear the planet of its inhabitants so the last remaining humans can make it a home.
Along the way you receive a distress signal from one of the ships sent before yours and find it stranded. You make it aboard the stranded ship and the rest is still in the making.

This is in a very early development stage using UPBGE 0.3.6. This doesn’t represent the final product and there will be many changes made throughout the development. Everything is REALTIME and there are no optimizations made as of yet.
I’m running on fairly low end and outdated hardware so I hope this can keep going as good as it is and I don’t start running into huge frame drops.

If anyone has any constructive criticism. Please don’t hesitate to give it.

3 Likes

i find it looks pretty nice— i like the mirror effect of the light… :+1:

The problem is that the planet is already inhabited, so we’ve got to invade it and take it over for ourselves.

Wow, your story really doesn’t beat around the bush, does it? lol

Thank you. I’m liking some of the newer features of the game engine. I can get some of the effects I wanted to implement into the game years ago, but it didn’t have the capabilities. Though the game engine still needs a lot of work.

Some day the human race may not be able beat around bush either. I came up with this story years ago. We always hear the story about an alien race invading earth for resources, or habitation. What if one day the the role had to be reversed, and this was the only way the human race could survive, and there were no other options? Would we be able to do it?

Yo, I helped with the Idea of the name…i think? i just came from my old account (@evil_moon_moose) and the thread: Snowblind (help me?) and you state something about me being in the credits (here:Snowblind (help me?) - #9 by turbomonkey). Im a lot older now, it was 2011 we last talked hahah. Im 32. I cant log into that account to prove it was me (it uses an email of mine that was shut down a long time ago) but I assure you that I am the same person.
Neat to see you are still using blender. Im still stuck on version 2.79b, although i have used 3.0 and stuff, just havent used it in a while, instead been using 2.79b. I use Unity now, and I make 3d models for vrchat sometimes, as well as small models that i want for myself

anyways, i just wanted to say this looks cool

Yes. You did. I haven’t forgot. On the original project I needed some help with the title for this game so I asked for some suggestions. I liked the one you came up with, so for your help I said I would add you in the credits somehow. It’s been a long time since then. I’m 43 now. It’s nice to see another OG. LOL… I’ve never used Unity. I actually started to migrate over to Unreal. Then life happened. I didn’t use Blender much for quite some time, but always kept up with the news. I just dove right into 3.0. It’s been a lot to relearn, but it’s still familiar at the same time. Blender has come a long way.

I’m glad you like what little bit I’ve got done so far. There is more getting done slowly, so hopefully I can get that posted up soon.

Nice to hear from you. Glad to see you still hanging around, and you’re still in the Creds if this ever takes off. You know how these kind of projects go for a single Dev.