Mig 21 Fighter plane

Well, I have tried to find the camouflaged MiG from Vietnam, but so far I found none: they could be “silver”, as the F-13 version on the first picture:

or - well - maybe gray (?) as this high-scoring MiG on the second picture:

Could you tell more about the reference you are using?

All what I found is that the camouflaged Soviet and Mongolian MiG-21 had a blue shade on their bottom surfaces…

Hi Witold,

here’s some references I used, even it has been on different versions (from PF to PFM early and PFM’s older versions). The paint seems to have been placed directly on upper alu surfaces, but not sure…

more drawings here http://www.markstyling.com/vietnam_migs3.htm

I’ve not found the picture I spoke about in my PM, but I’ve read in an Osprey on vietnam aces and colours thats the “MIG’s undersides remain natural metal”…

Hi folk… my laptop is VERY close to dead… it smells smoke, It makes a huge sound…
Just some test before it dies, playing quickly with diffuse/specular/bump.

Thanks for viewing !

I think that it looks better, now, with these different shades of the natural dural skin panels and blurred rivet seams!

[SUP]Although the nose cone was made of a dielectric material, I think that on the operational aircraft it might be somewhat more specular. To increase the impression of the “silver” skin (as of the MiG F-13 nr 5063 from the picture in post #42) you can increase the base intensity of the reflectivity map by about 0.1 - 0.2 (I suppose that it is about 0.5 above these two stars on the nose). You can also try to build around an environment, which would produce a more detailed reflections on such a skin…[/SUP]

Keep working, I hope that will find a better laptop, then :)!

Hi Witold.

it is not yed dead yet… I have the bad idea of reading a great book on virtual modelling :wink: that makes me understand I was putting some colors on the diffuse map instead of specularity map for example… So I decided to rework it step by step, to have a more precise (in term of control) and smooth variant and compositing between each maps. But to work on it I MUST make some rendering tests on a real computer haha.

And I’ve not yet implement the so-called Gloss Paint shader on the nose cone… I will edit if I have a render tonight.

Hi all,

just working around an environment before working forward on aluminium :

A lot of work to be done in next steps…
Thanks for viewing !

whoa, I thought this was a reference at first sight :wink:

I really like the look of it and fits into the environment pretty well.

That last render is truly gorgeous, I love your aircraft projects!

I am sold on the last one being a photo :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi
It is great work. I am doing Dasault rafale model and I am horrible in texturing. I realy dont know how to make believable material so can you please give me some tip or link to some good tutorial.

Thank you.

awesome but i always preferred the mig 23. are you planning to animate some dogfight based on the air battles over vietnam, if so i think that will be awesome as well.

Woaw, thanks all !

@chop_suey : thanks a lot. I’m working hard to improve the environment too, I appreciate the comment :wink:

@Owldude : thanks too for kind words. It is truly motivating.

@DDD : not yet so realistic as your car is :slight_smile: But I try to learn working with Cycles. thanks.

@elohim : thanks a lot. Have you a WIP for the Rafale ? For texturing and materials, I think the first thing to do is to learn about UV mapping and 2D texturing. If I have one advice, see the English version of Witold’s book :http://airplanes3d.net/wm-000_e.xml

Believe me, it explains things I have discover after years of self-training, fails and very little successes in BI. If I had this book before, I will have earn a LOT of time (and I won’t get a dollar for this link :D)

@jagdpanther : The mig-23 is a great plane too you’re right. For animate a dogfight, it will be very hard with my current laptop. It use to render a 1024 * 768 picture with 400 passes in more than 30 minutes and it can’t handle the F4 and the mig on the same image… Thanks for comment.

I have try something a little bit different. I’m not really happy with it, but it is a matter of adjustments of the whole aspects now (and setting other textures on the plane…) :

Happy blending and thanks again !

Great progress, ookka! I have to admit, I prefer the second to last picture the most. I’m sure you changed multiple things about it between then and now, but especially I prefer the sun position/shadows of the other image, and the missile/rocket under the wing looks too white now. But, I’m sure you’re still adjusting things!

I more like the old one have much more better shadows.

There are looking awesome. They look like your getting to the point, that they look more like paintings than renderings.

Yeah i am with Kramon here, the previous one was better imo. I think the sun was in a good place in the other one… it seems like it is coming from the right.

Whaaat? my bmw? realistic? thanks, but its obviously cg…

HI, thanks all for comments. I agree, I prefer too the first one. But it has some mistakes I’m trying to correct. Tnahks again, try to update this evening (for me).

Good evening,

I’m trying to adjust things. It’s hard, because I like the metal glossy on one hand, and and the other hand, it is less realistic. Well, I keep working… Thanks for viewing

I saw this image and thought of you, ookka! - http://qmp3l.deviantart.com/art/The-dirty-one-282172935?q=sort%3Atime%20gallery%3Aqmp3l&qo=62
You may already be done with texture painting, but maybe it will be useful as a reference on a future project of yours. The photographer also has other aircraft images in his gallery.

that’s so good work that i have to model some jet too :smiley: and i watch movie sky fighters soo im really hyped :smiley: