Millimetric paper material - Box project?

It was all pink, I erased the image and load it again…and now has the gradient you did. Plugged into the brick and PUM worked!

THANK YOU

1 Like

It is less time consuming, but also the less accurate. Sure, no problem, see attached. I’ve included a Suzanne to show where it might fail because the blend can’t be zero. I used to do blended triplanar mapping way more advanced which didn’t have this limitation. That said, I usually use blended triplanar mapping because I need the blend. This version has a hard normal evaluation, not shifted around with noise to move the blend zone around as it is not needed here.
Stone1.blend (3.9 MB)
However, if LordOdins painted coord hack works for you, you should probably use that one as Eevee can get upset with node groups and slightly complex node trees. Also, if you’re only using the mortar grid, use the fac output instead and just use it to mix between two colors.

Thank you. The solution that @LordOdin brought works really well. Actually I applied to the flying car I will place in the scene, this time with a quixel surface imperfection, and it worked perfect. No mapping or anything the low poly car got wrapped instantly great.

I suggest if you usually use tri planar to give a try to that technique. I will treasure that gradient map in my texture folder. That being said , I really thank all the input you gave into the topic.

1 Like

I tried it, and of course and as expected I ran into problems with it just like regular blended box mapping. Here some examples of blended box mapping vs blended triplanar mapping for nontileable (mirroring the texture along the way - can be visible but often not obvious) and seamless (works perfect) textures. Also a nonsensical texture is used just to show this method naturally has limitations to its - best used on random like textures with no single (woodgrain) sense of direction or double (tiles) sense of direction. Each projection use a blended mix of 4 variations of the texture; scale, position, and rotation, incl mirroring of each axis. Also the blended normal is noised up making it harder to spot the blended seam.

Mapping Box Nontileable:

Mapping Triplanar Nontileable:

If you bake it out you can easily go in and paint over any obvious mirroring effects, but on its own I think it makes a pretty good job of utilizing non tileable textures without and UV or stencil work.

Mapping Box Tileable:

Even though it tiles, you can easily spot texture repetitions, screaming “bad cgi”.

Mapping Triplanar Tileable:

This is pretty much perfect for baking or direct use if you can handle the additional render time cost. I didn’t check if Eevee handles it, but compile time would suffer anyway so I wouldn’t use it directly for Eevee renderings.

Mapping Triplanar Nonsensical:

Yeah, there is no point in even trying to use this method unless you want to produce something abstract.