Millimetric paper material - Box project?

Hi. I am trying to generate a landscape made of paper (with a milimetric grid).
I am using the procedural brick texture in order to achieve the grid look.

I am just “fighting” with the projection type I am getting.

I would like to get a continuous grid and avoid the stretching. I Imagine this could work with a box projection type. Can I decide the projection type with procedural textures.

The blender file here
Stone.blend (575.4 KB)

Here a try with Keyshot and box projection:

This is what I am looking for, any ideas?

Kind regards

You could do it with a box projection. Kind of. But I think you would get the same kind of box projection that Keyshot provides - which is most likely not what you want, based on just a few seconds worth of tutorial I looked up. It appears to work similar to Cycles and will distort.

You can’t do projection mapping with procedurals. You would have to do tri-planar mapping. But I’m busy for a few hours. Maybe others will show you how in the mean time.

Actual non stretched can only be achieved with UV unwrapping with seams, then scaling the UV layout to some object based reference coordinate system.

is it necessary on all sides ?

how about like this ?

z-line1

you could use the wiremesh if edge loops where vert and horiz
but it is not done like this.

happy bl

Perhaps you could set all the edges to be UV seams, then UV unwrap and use the UV coordinates as the Vector input for the brick texture.

1 Like

The problem with UV its the time consuming process that will be for the whole assets of rocks I am building. I am following the tutorial from cgboost (flying car animation).

Many assets there to manually UV I believe ( there are much more rocks that those).

I think so far the box projection is the one that gave me the closest results to the desired outcome.
I still do not understand why I could not achieve the grid come exactly from all the sides in an orthographic manner to the surfaces. I believe the tri planar solution might be it.
Never tried in Blender, but I did in Keyshot and might be the right approach to get the grid projected exactly the same from every plane xy, xz, yz

Not sure if this feature is compatible with Eevee. The animation will be in Eevee (cg boost tutorial).

Maybe triplannar could be faster , not sure I need to research how to do it in Blender.

I am sure there must be a video on youtube

Will see if today I can find any .

Thank you

I think this could work I need to find out time to try it. It could be nice to have a node that does it automatically .

Found the node setup here:

Made some test now:

This is quite close to what I want. The problem is I get the transparency of the sides of each plane …
In a way if I could separate the top plane, side and front without that blend…It will be exactly what I am looking for. The problem is that I am a bit new with nodes and Blender in itself.

I might achieve it after playing a little bit more and getting rid of those undesired nodes.

The file just in case you want to explore it.

triplanar.blend (605.3 KB)

But it’s your best option, at least with best results.
You might want to check this addon… IIRC, it also produces an unfolded UVmap, that you can use for texturing.

Here are some quick procedural grids.

A little messy but it generates a set of 2D coords for each face. It is also pretty much equivalent to the UV process I mentioned earlier, except that in this one set of lines are always horizontal.

This is just the intersection of a 3D grid with the surface. It looks almost like three topographical maps overlaid.

1 Like

Have you seen this, it might help, seems like a good description. Particularly the answer by Rich Sedman, https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/70607

1 Like

I will check tonight, thank you

Did not work. It seems to be working with open meshes.

I think I might go with the first proposal you did…so far the best I could find. The tri plannar alternatives I found …do not give a good result with the bricks.

Did not work with my mesh thats little bit strange.

Which one? If you share a screenshot we may be able to help.

1 Like

I will send to you the result this evening. I did it twice, cause the first time I realized I plug the wrong x y z variables in one of the nodes. The way how the node UI shows made it little bit hard to see where exactly some of the lines were plugged in the screenshot. The result somehow is all black, I also tried the other alternatives suggested by the tri planar methods, but non of them work. One will work with open meshes (like walls) and the other one shows me the blurred translation between faces…which might work with textures, but not with the brick procedural node.

I did find a solution though. I will also post it later. It is basically to UV map ,as some other users suggested previously in this post and I thought was too time consuming. It was really easy, just unwrap the mesh without any previous work and then use the brick node. It works perfect.

I will post the link later, It might help other users.

Thank you

Found the right solution I will share the link later.

The reason is, and this should happen in keyshot too by the little I saw on it, triplanar is great for quick mapping as long as you can live with some distortions where the face is not exactly coplane with one of the cardinal planes. A box would be perfect, but once you start dragging an edge, the projection will remain until a certain threshold is met and another plane or projection kicks in. For a lot of texture work, this stretching isn’t really much of a concern. For millimeter paper, it would.

So the UV’ing or paper unfold method Secrop suggested (I had completely forgotten about that one), sounds like the only plan to get consistently sized millimeter grid on a paper.

You can use triplanar with brick generator, but obviously you will have to use minimum three generators. You could rotate the origin of the mesh to best look for the scene. But you can’t eliminate distortions.