Modelling Jam 01 - Iconic Movie Car - Join in

I like the wheels, Chuk_Chuk. They look good. I like the overall look of the car. Very nice.

I think the tread on the tires looks a bit large. Larger than it should be, unless they are some type of street slicks (dessert pursuit?).

@Chuk_Chuk - looking great.

Sure the treads are large, but it’s obviously a deliberate design considering - so it’s fine imo; the look good too.

Didn’t realise how large they were till theangelroldan and writer’s block pointed it. If it looks really unnatural/out of place I wouldn’t mind changing it. Will keep that in mind when I making the treads for the good cop though.

Looking good Chuk_Chuk!!

I’ve jumped on to the tires as well…

The tire is 16,000 verts, I’m wondering if I should work to reduce the verts, maybe merge some down along the sidewall…

And here’s a quick clay from luxrender:

Randy

Nah leave them high-density; it will affect render time a little, but if they are easily visible then they will look much better; one thing to do, is turn off the mirror on parts that aren’t visible due to camera angle.

Great job on the modelling - looking awesome.

How did you spin the tire? Array and Empty to spin it or…?

I should post some updates on my Anglia tomorrow, too much work and so little Blending and painting time.

@revolt_randy its looking good. For the tires I found separating the tread from rest of the tire can bring down the poly count a lot. You will want to bring that poly count down as it does affect your render times a bit. Because my treads are separate objects I can shave of a minute or two in render time when the are off. for a clay render that is five or six minutes that is a fair bit of time.

Here is a screen shot of how I modelled my tires, this holds up well in far and medium shots. I have not checked for close ups but it should be al-right as I have modelled tires like this before.

wires

smooth shading

Good idea TM…I did my tires and didnt think of doing it that way.
I did ‘pinch’ the loops near the treads though.

Looks good, but yeah the tread could be a bit smaller…looks closer to a motorcycle tire.

@kernal_Sanderz I think the way you did it is fine for your wheel the simple tread pattern you have will mean poly count will not be to bad. If you look at revolt_randy’s tire I think the problems start when the tread is a bit complicated than you end up with edge loops going every way as you try and accommodate every twist and turn in the tread.

For me that tyre is just amazing, for sure, amazing amazing

After looking at the above posts, and seeing TM advice I decided to redo the tyre pattern for the bad cop. It currently looks sort of off roadish at the moment, but I’ll play around with tread depth and length of the tread section and see what I get.

Attachments

Yeah, that tire looks real good…well, the treads anyway. Nice! Aggressive.

Now that is what you call a low profile tire! Lol

The tread looks good, looks like the old GoodYear Gaterbacks.

Thanks to Writers Block for showing the way to make a headlight…a great help! I used an old headlight for reference.

That looks pretty good, I got to try this method out. what little I can see of your car also looks good.

Here’s the tyre pattern for the good cop.
Need to create the rims for the good cop and then attach them on to the rims.

Attachments

@Chuk_Chuk that tread is looking pretty neat.

okay an update on my Anglia I have started to work on the little bits and pieces that add detail to the car, chrome bits air values, wipers, wheel weights etc.

Man I am starting to realize that this car has no good angle from the front, It helps that I am a big Harry Potter fan(the books not the movies) but what were Ford’s Designers smoking, this is one ugly car. From the back and side its not bad but from the front it just looks odd. And to think these guys designed the thunderbird.

A great looking model, TM; agree it’s an ugly car. Oh and yeh the books are great, the films much less so, but decent.

The car is looking good. :yes:

I like both the books and the films, but Emma Watson makes watching the films much more worth it. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Disclaimer: I am 22 years old).