Moving the Origin in 2.8

Not just maya. Basically every 3d app works like that. You can move the origin at any time quickly.

This is c4d btw. :v:

7 Likes

Oh, I would just use the 3d cursor for that instead of changing the objects origin. Set your transform orientation to the 3d cursor.

1 Like

Oh what bs… C4D for example? from my experience it is really painful to use. Been there, done that.
Only thing one needs to do is adapt own mind to changes, while retaining calm mind and a big heart.

Rinse & repeat.

:hugs:

There’s this addon already for 2.79, not for 2.8 tho, so it should be easy to port it http://blenderaddonlist.blogspot.com/2014/09/addon-quick-origin.html

Also with more options there’s Wazou RMB Pie menu which will be ported to 2.8 (if is not ported already) https://gumroad.com/l/wazou_rmb_pie_menu_v2

here are great addons for 2.79 if all people who need it in 2.8 ask it from author i hope he make 2.8 version of it. Because of that - all who need this - hrite some words to author - on youtube or some how - that author feel what this addon needed in 2.8

Before, in 2.79 I used this shortcut:

Shift+Ctrl+Alt+C and select appropriate options in 2 steps.

Now, after also bumping into same problem in 2.8, its:

1. Shift+S to snap 3D-cursor
  2. Object (menu) > Origin > Origin to 3D cursor

See my Modo-Me addon (paid, 2.79/2.80), it offers bunch of pivoting solutions. I made it for Modo expats, but it could be helpful to Maya expats as well. I am always looking for feature recommendations for it.

https://blenderartists.org/t/modo-me-the-modo-action-centers-in-blender-and-more-2-80-2-79/

Just drop me a pm if you can’t afford to buy it, I will provide a license for ya.

I too am finding out that instead of having tools that have their own manipulators (Like all other 3D Programs) they seemed to have tied quite a few things to the 3D Cursor instead. Honestly I wish they would have fixed this instead of making EEVEE. In my shop we have renamed the 3D Cursor to the “Stupid Frigging Circle”, But are trying to get used to it. It seems to be one of those ancient Blender things that their culture wants to keep instead of making the industry standard. It’s kind of like the Flat Earthers or Right Mouse Button Select. :slight_smile: But it won’t change in the near future so we are just choosing to deal with it.

1 Like

In object mode if you have the object selected you can right click… choose Set Origin… and pick one of the options.

'''
BEGIN GPL LICENSE BLOCK

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.    See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

END GPL LICENCE BLOCK
'''

bl_info = {
    'name': 'Move origin to selected',
    'author': '',
    'version': (0, 0, 1),
    'blender': (2, 80, 0),
    'location': '3d view > space bar > Origin Move to Selected',
    'description': 'in edit mode, sets object origin to the median of selected verts/edges/faces',
    'wiki_url': '',
    'tracker_url': '',
    'category': '3D View'}

import bpy

class MoveOrigin(bpy.types.Operator):
    """Tooltip"""
    bl_idname = "object.origin_to_selected"
    bl_label = "Origin Move To Selected"
    bl_options = {'REGISTER', 'UNDO'}

@classmethod
    def poll(cls, context):
        obj = context.active_object
        return obj is not None and obj.mode == 'EDIT'

def execute(self, context):
        saved_location = bpy.context.scene.cursor.location.copy()
        bpy.ops.view3d.snap_cursor_to_selected()

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode = 'OBJECT')
        bpy.ops.object.origin_set(type='ORIGIN_CURSOR')  
        bpy.context.scene.cursor.location = saved_location

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode = 'EDIT')
        return {'FINISHED'}

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_class(MoveOrigin)

def unregister():
    bpy.utils.unregister_class(MoveOrigin)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

This is the old move origin addon modified to work with 2.8 in case anybody needs it.

1 Like

In 2.81 you’ll be able to just move the origin using the usual transforms, with snapping, etc. In object mode, of course.

3 Likes

…except sometimes you need this to “jump cut” that. :slight_smile:
…except I requested this on Blender Stack Exchange
…except this is going to be binded to CTRL+Shift+1 as first line aid shortcut
…except… okay… can we get “reset” origin rotations? because I got this weeeirrrrd…

…except that any script that jumps modes has the potential of ruining your day.

In case, new users are not aware.
You can. Ctrl A > apply rotation.

lol why is everyone making this so complicated?
you can go to view and lock camera to 3d cursor then shift right click anywhere to move the 3d cursor and your origin point will always and forever be “3d cursor”

This addon is fantastic, the way pivot transformation should have been.

1 Like

I should also mention my own add-on (paid) which I created to ease origin/pivot manipulation pains. It includes numerical input, visual bbox placement, size unifying, dropping to ground, component support etc . It has quite a bit of features, and something I use it daily here.

Here is a screen from the 1.3.1

1 Like

2.8n has an explicit “AFFECT ONLY” with an “Origins” option, >only< in Object Mode.

2 Likes

Short and simple question. Thank you