My Star Detroyer

Thanks! I am trying to get as close to the original model as possible. I’ve made changes even from the original as a lot of the original detail was never meant to be seen this closely. It’s a blast though. I am having such a good time using blender.

I second that! Just out of curiosity, how big is the file? I like how it’s all white, like a plastic model.

This is turning into an amazing model.

Steve S

i love it, wow which ref photos give you that much details?

I’m a moderator for a blender community on Google+ and one of the other members of the site (after seeing what I had already started on this model) gave me the below link to a thread of a gentleman building a real 8’ model in his home. He has posted countless pictures of his build and they have been instrumental in my building of the CG version of his work. He is truly inspired and inspiring. Thank you by the way for the compliment.

Thank you very much. The Star Destroyer over New York vid that you made was one of the inspirations for this build so thanks for that. I have watched it on youtube a lot…lol

Started work on the hanger bay on the underbelly of the Star Destroyer.

did some more detailing of the hanger.

Attachments

That’s some stunning detail work your doing. Is the big hull getting real panel work or you doing it with bump?

PS whats your poly count and do you use subsurf?

PS Good luck making the materials on this beast :wink:

Thank you very much for the compliment. I appreciate that. First off, the Shelby Cobra car that you’ve made is outstanding. To answer your questions let me start with the large hull. I am going to combine both techniques, both modelled greebles and texturing which will have displacement (Not much just enough to give the impression of detail.) The face count as of right now is 1,826,000 and 2,074,000 verts. This is pretty good considering the amount of detail involved. I have used “0” modifiers with the exception of the mirror mod for the sake of speed and not having to model both sides of the ship. The original model (and I mean the real one that was built for the original movies) is not uniform and isn’t mirrored from one side to the next but I have made both sides identical. I have been modelling this for about a month now and figured it would save time. As far as Modifiers as I said I haven’t used any others. I haven’t even used smooth shading…lol I have used the bevel option from the “W” menu not from the Modifier options tab. The great thing about creating this much detail but being smart about it is that I don’t have to texture everything and in fact the original model had one colour used to paint it and then some airbrushing to give the impression of the greebles on the bulk of the hull. I can use some dirty vertex and add some interesting textures to the larger surfaces without having to create an entire material library for it. That being said it will still be difficult to get it the way that I want it. Not completely happy with the textures that I already have attached to it.
Thanks for asking and I apologize for the long winded reply.

Finished the modelling of the hanger bay on the underbelly of the Star Destroyer. Pretty happy with it so far. Still not satisfied with the textures I have used on the rest of the ship, going back and starting from scratch on textures.

1 Like

Close up of the crane machine in the bay.

Attachments

The file is at about 159 MB so far. Thanks very much for the compliment and sorry I didn’t answer sooner but I totally didn’t see your post in this thread. That’s my bad. At any rate, the original model, the real one, is kind of an off grey-ish white so it’s pretty close to this. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to have a bit of fun with it…lol

So, there is this little compartment ahead of the hanger, don’t know what it’s meant to be used for or what it’s purpose is but I’ve been modelling it. Some images have it closed off by large doors and others, including the reference images that I am using to build the model have it exposed like this. It looks interesting and kind of cool so I want to be as authentic to my goal of creating the Star Destroyer so here it is. It’s not completed yet, I have one more wall to detail and then it’s on to the larger surfaces of the underbelly of the ship, the dome at the bottom, the engines and then the sides. Then it’s proper texturing, parenting, camera set up and animation along with modelling some other ships to add to the animation, then compositing. I have a long way to go before this is done but it’s coming along nicely.

Attachments

Thanks for the complement on the Cobra, its still not finished though. Have a lot stuff to do on it and im thinking about a proper shot for it, think something with a action shot on a race track or breezy see view or something.

Wow that hardcore modeling, no modifiers!!! no wonder the file size is that big

I actually thought that modifiers made the file larger, not smaller. Am I wrong? The irony is that I made a kitchen scene a long time ago and used not only a lot of mods but it ended up having like 4000000 faces which for a kitchen scene by comparison is a lot. This so far has about 1,830,000 faces. It’s far more detailed then a kitchen but has far less faces. I guess that says a lot about how far I’ve come I guess getting better at managing a project. I appreciate that you’re following the progress of the build.

I think by the way, an action shot would be cool for the car. At the right camera angle it would be really cool. I’m all about the action shot though…lol

Not even close to complete but wanted to post some of the images of what I have completed thus far. I have removed all textures so that the integrity of the model can be seen clearly. (Integrity meaning what’s modelled as opposed to textured.) There is no displacement, this is all modelled. I kept the lights because I think they look cool and relighting all of the emitters would be a chore…lol

Attachments

1 Like

This is looking incredible! Really love this…would love to see you animate this once you’re done. Maybe just a slow crawl over the camera, Star Wars style :smiley:

Merged threads by OP request

That is definitely the goal. Once the modelling is done I will start working on the animation. I want to try to do a remake of the opening scene of A New Hope. I’ll have to model the rebel ship that is trying to escape. Thank you for the compliment.