Need Critiques! How to make character more realistic?

Hi
I’m looking for opinions on this character.
What are your first impressions?
The good and the bad.
In what should I improve?
My goal is to make a realistic human face. The color map is hand painted.
What is missing and what should I change here to make it seem more realistic?
I’m a new user so apparently I can only post 1 picture.
Thank you!!! Have a lovely day!!!

2 Likes

This looks awesome!!
Your sculpt and paint job are very good
I think the skin however is lacking in color, and feels a bit like plastic. Painting in more undertones, and adding subsurface scattering will help with that. The hair on the head is a bit thick too, I think decreasing the radius to match the beard and increasing the number of strands will make it look fuller and like actual hair.

Thanks for your opinion!
Yeah it did felt like plastic, i’m slowly changing that!
Do you know about some tutorials on how to apply subsurface scattering? I never really used it.

Hello ! It’s great ! I get the feeling that some extra improvements are needed in little places but I’m not advanced enough to point them with confidence.

I highly recommend you to take the time to read through this topic : Human Progress
I’m sure you’ll find it quite informative !

There is also that course, that I would take if I were serious with that :
https://cgcookie.com/courses/human-realistic-portrait-creation-with-blender

That said :
The face hairs seems quite dense, it works from a distance, but it seems a bit exaggerated to me, did you follow a reference for that ?

And for the SSS, it’s probably possible to find some tutorials online. There are different approach to skin, some people do a lot of refinement there by using different layers for blood vessels under the skin and stuff like that.

But it can already give nice results in it’s simplest form, it’s subtle anyway, or your character will look waxy rather that plasticy.

The character a self portrait except the part of the scar of course. The hair was made just for presentation, I will have to work with hair cards in the future because I want to put this character on a game engine. But yeah I will refine it so it gives a better first impression.

I’m already making some progress changing some of the maps, adding more pores, blood vessels and creating a SSS map.

I will post the whole character once it is finished.

Thanks for your time brother!!

1 Like

Great !

A more refined texture pass will help a lot, it’s a bit too clean ATM hence the plastic look,
But the face doesn’t feel uncanny and (at least to me) there isn’t proportion or “drawing” issues, which are the harder to correct since a good eye is needed for that.

I’m quite curious about what you’ll come up with !

Have fun !

1 Like