Need help with Geo nodes - Get curve from vertex group and put instances on it

Hi all,

For days now I’m trying to find a solution for something I’m trying to achieve.
Steps that I want to happen in Geometry Nodes:

• Create a mesh model
  • Get a curve from one or multiple loops. Alternatively use the selection without turning it to curves.
  • Array instances of a mesh along the curve/selection in a specified distance between them.
  • Align the X direction of the instance to follow the curve/selection
  • Align the Z direction of the instances to the vertex normals of the input mesh

When I try to use a vertex group as selection for “mesh to curve” conversion, I get this result:

Why does it look like the selection has expanded?

Here is how I’m trying to accomplish this with my very limited Geometry Nodes knowledge:

If you can suggest an improvement or a better method, please do. I’m growing desperate :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thanks

Use Compare node, it’s happens because Mesh to Curve Selection uses Edge domain so the vertex values gets interpolated

1 Like

That’s working! Thanks.

Now I need to align the instances. Maybe I could just rotate the original mesh, but I’d like to see how to control it with nodes. If it’s possible.
I just tried rotating the input mesh and it seems that it’s not even perfectly aligned throughout the whole curve.

Thanks for the help so far. You’ve cleared up something that has been bothering me for a long time.

Use Curve tangent for the alignment

2 Likes