New 2.8 UI is annoying

Do you mean grabbing the separation and resizing each of your views? If so, then just put your mouse over the gap in between views and drag, otherwise I may not be understanding you correctly.

Here’s a video of someone going over how to manipulate the user interface. He starts talking about it around 10:30 in the video.

1 Like

He’s talking about Quad View, CTRL-ALT-Q / View->Area->Toggle Quad View

1 Like

If you think about it, the main reason you need to access that directory is because of your use of 3rd party scripts/tools.

This should ideally not be the case; the install functions in blender should work as expected.

If not then this does not mean that the config folder should moved, instead it means the problem needs to be fixed by those responsible dev wise

Blender already has provisions in regards to interfacing with the settings in the preferences and splash.

My point is that default blender is using the location correctly, as a config directory, not really needing direct interaction.

Ah, gotcha. I’d never used Quad view, you learn something new every day haha. In that case I’d say it’s probably easier to just make your own quad view if you need it to be more customizable @JohnMarchant.

1 Like

I’m curious about how much customization you would need for that. Would you need to move those dividers anywhere at all, within a limited area you could describe, or perhaps select from presets? Are primarily just wanting one particular quadrant larger/smaller or does it vary? Do you know what other apps offer for this?

Actually i saw a video yesterday that answered my question, i just found it hard to get the little + sign to drag out another window. Its confusing because there is a button to allow you to toggle quad view, but you cant move the separators, but if you create using the corner + then you can move the separators, that’s where the confusion was.

I think customisation is great in Blender, i would even say its better than most 3d apps out there but, with more choice comes more confusion sometimes.

Both of these are quad views but the top one is toggle quad view and you cannot move the separators, where as the bottom one you can. Ive also noticed you cannot grab the middle of the separators and move it about to enlarge some.

the quad-view is a bit too hidden, and it’s a shame because it’s really well-functioning

1 Like

Yes indeed it is, mind you with the amount of options available its not surprising. I just dont see the point of having 2 different sorts of quad view. The toggle quad view needs to be the same as if you had made quad view with the corner + tool and you need to be able to select the intersection of the views in the middle and move them as you like.

Do you know if its possible to change the size of icons as well, some i find too big and others a little too small.

the quad-view is only one, and serves for those orthographic projections that require a more precise modeling …
the other configuration is an option that is allowed to you because you use more single 3d view.
quad-view is a sub-category of single 3d-view
of course, the quad view could be made more flexible to allow 2-view, 3-view -5 view etc …

1 Like

I could be talking complete and utter rubbish here because I rarely use quad view but I think the are just regular views that are locked in the ‘n’ panel you can unlock them and IIRC change what view the show and resize them(I am not 100% sure on the resizing part)

1 Like

Ok next question, ive set up mt third party addons folder and put the correct path in preferences. However now when i install from zip file, it does not install to there but to the default addons folder in the blender install directory.

Anyone got any idea how to get my directory to be the default install place.

User feedback from large(ish) studios and their own animation studio. I hope they don’t listen to recently converted Maya and 3D max users. Management has been stellar with Blender and that is why it worked. With a goal and not just ideas.

1 Like

The Blender Foundation doesn’t only take feedback from large(ish) animation studios and their own studios. Somewhat because large(ish) studios using Blender as a main part of their pipeline has been a relatively recent development from what I gather. Also, these forums are proof enough that Blender is a community project that anyone can contribute to. Their ideas have to be greenlit before they’re merged into the main branch, but people fix bugs and add features all the time that aren’t a part of the core group of devs.

For example, the sculpting features Pablo Dobarro is working on. He’s not one of the core developers, and he’s not a part of a large animation studio.

I agree Blender has been well-managed, and I’m not advocating for taking all the rough feedback from new users, whatever their background, hence why I complimented them on sorting through the noise in my comment. My point is that Blender works because the devs don’t only take ideas from large(ish) studios and their own studio, it’s because they communicate openly with all users. That’s actually the main reason I switched from learning Modo to Blender. The Foundry devs wouldn’t openly communicate or give any hints as to what they were working on.

2 Likes

Started working on a new project I can’t get over why they removed A as deselect and then they made it alt+A. Why not just move that command to some other key. There is optional ctrl+I but it makes even less sense. ‘I’ stands for what? If you try to assign it to some other key it’s obvious that key is taken, because every key is in Blender. I guess if you keep hacking you can get used to alt+A. Just waiting for them to change it again when users have used to that.

use AA (double tap)

1 Like

You can switch it back to toggle in the preferences.

1 Like

Because A was not just deselect - it was for selecting all too. This meant users often had to repeatedly tap the key until either everything or nothing was selected. This was slow and unpredictable, and not consistent with other areas (see H/Alt H for Hide/Unhide All etc).

Now, the commands are immediate - A always selects all, and Alt-A always deselects all, so you don’t need to tap many times to ensure you are in the correct state.

I stands for Invert. Ctrl-I inverts the current selection. That was also the case in 2.79 and earlier.

Deselecting with A was not slow or unpredictable if you know what you are doing. It was faster, because pressing one key is faster than two (alt+A). Pro users like me know when something is selected, I’m not a dummy. Thinking about it, I was using A mostly to deselect, not for select all. Maybe I could switch them around in preferences (A to deselect, alt+A to select all). It could be worth a try. And it works.

Must admit, having a separate ‘deselect’ key makes more sense to me, coming from Lightwave where there was a distinct “deselect everything” key to toggling seemed counter productive.

I would have preferred Ctrl+A = Select all, Ctrl+Shift+A = Deselect; it’s a lot easier to press on my keyboard and similar to other software I use (Krita for example). But with the other selection changes, I don’t find I need to deselect nearly as much anyway.