Image To Mesh Conversion
Quick Video Overview:
Pretty self-explanatory (but do check the tool-tips…) ;>
- Added Color 2 Material Mode
• Assigns a material by the most common colors, separated with a threshold value.
• Works with or without Alpha/RGB-as-alpha:
(Worst case example - such high detail images at 1k+ will take minutes. Smoothing is not recommended.)
• Adjust material outlines with smoothing value.
(Tip: Automatic, will not work for all cases: Disable, and use manual smooth-tool for tricky cases.)
• Please Note: c2m mode is intended for distinct color-separation: “Busy” images will not work:
- Color reduction threshold option added for Vertex Color Mode.
- Custom panel location fixed. You can now assign the kit to a custom N-panel location. (in Add-on prefs)
- Add-on category changed from “Modeling” to “Import-Export”
- Add Border Expand feature (dilation). Also works in rgb mode. IMAGE
- Added support for using the same image file on all 3 boolean slots (Front, Right & Top)
- Fix rounding error (bottom left mesh faces were offset issue, noticable on low res) IMAGE
- Fix “reverse” tolerance in rbg mode (behaves more like the alpha slider now)
- Fixed some object invalidation issues when switching between to & from boolean geo ops
- Batch Process bug fixed (invalid screw flip property when redoing batch)
- Custom Work Resolution
- Vertex Color Mode (or, “retro pixel gfx mode”) - uses vertex colors instead of texture(s) for each face converted from the image pixels.
- Video demo
- Fixed Console Text Output Total count error
- Fixed update notification link : should go directly to gumroad instead of 404 the next update ;>
- Added Batch Processing operator for PLANE and SCREW modes. Uses last used settings: Load 1 image with regular method to fine tune settings before batching an entire folder.
There is a chance I make bool mode possible to batch: ~0.01% chance atm.
- Better Dissolve (and just one now) Worst Case-ish example : 1K @ ~1 minute with 12C Threadripper (2017) No multithreading jfyi.
- User RGB instead of Alpha option (in add-on prefs) Note: The opacity tolerance is kind of reversed for RGB; use lower values.
- Developed & Tested on Manjaro Linux with the latest official Blender release
- I do not support alpha/beta versions of Blender.
- I have no way of testing on Mac (& rarely on windows)
zbrush’s shadowbox for blender, using pictures instead of mask.
I did not know about shadowbox, but that seems to be more for ideation?
i2m was created mostly for situations where you (a concept artist or FX artist) needs a picture turned into 3d in your scene, quickly. i2m can save you time if you don’t need perfect results, or save setup-time as a head-start if you need do more accurate manual modeling.
But, I suppose you could actually use i2m in a similar way to shadowbox, if you edit the image layers and just update & re-run (I’d recommend not using the dissolve modes for quicker updates in lower working res for “near” realtime updates in such a case)
Incredible, thank you! Do you think there’s a way to use a white background instead of an alpha channel?
Anyway, incredible tool, thanks again!
Sure, that could be an interesting method: I’d probably add an option in add-on prefs where one can pick an RGB value or Alpha. (So any color can be used) Next version ;> (RGB will be slightly slower but shouldn’t matter much)
New Dissolve method also coming in next version. A bit better
Edit: Done, v1.001
Wow, nice one!
I had a much more limited version of something similar for Softimage XSI.
Thanks for this, it will useful for sure over here
The good thing. Thanks for sharing
Insane! Now the only thing missing is the RGB color selector on-screen in the menu since different images could have different backgrounds. But holy guacamole, I love this. Thanks.
thank you Kjell
I try to upload an alpha channel PNG (below) but there is an error message that reads: “image not found (blend file) Cancelled”
That image does not have any alpha.
p.s. If it did, that would be a worst case scenario: If you find a version with an alpha-channel, expect long process times & very high polycount. jfyi.
thanks, it had an alpha channel when I opened it in GIMP but I went back and created a new alpha channel and now it seems to work just fine
awesome and very usefull - thanks a lot !
is there any chance of using the alpha channel form procedural maps as input ?
cheers . oliver
No, not unless it’s baked down to an image file.
would it be possible with this type of geometry ?
kei2m is probably not the solution for this situation.
thx . keep up your brilliant work !
Is there anyway you can include functionality that would instead of just a png file allow it to operate on PNG sequences
Should be doable, I’ll look into it.
Version 1.005 is out, with new features: