Image To Mesh [I2M]

Image To Mesh Conversion

Quick Video Overview:

Pretty self-explanatory (but do check the tool-tips…) ;>

Note:

• Developed & Tested on Linux with the latest official Blender release
  • I do not support alpha/beta versions of Blender.
  • I have no way of testing on Mac (& rarely on windows)

Downloads, Release Notes & Info: HERE

54 Likes

impressive !!!
zbrush’s shadowbox for blender, using pictures instead of mask.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

I did not know about shadowbox, but that seems to be more for ideation?

i2m was created mostly for situations where you (a concept artist or FX artist) needs a picture turned into 3d in your scene, quickly. i2m can save you time if you don’t need perfect results, or save setup-time as a head-start if you need do more accurate manual modeling.

But, I suppose you could actually use i2m in a similar way to shadowbox, if you edit the image layers and just update & re-run :slight_smile: (I’d recommend not using the dissolve modes for quicker updates in lower working res for “near” realtime updates in such a case)

2 Likes

Incredible, thank you! Do you think there’s a way to use a white background instead of an alpha channel?
Anyway, incredible tool, thanks again!

2 Likes

Hey, thanks!
Sure, that could be an interesting method: I’d probably add an option in add-on prefs where one can pick an RGB value or Alpha. (So any color can be used) Next version ;> (RGB will be slightly slower but shouldn’t matter much)

P.S
New Dissolve method also coming in next version. A bit better :wink:
Edit: Done, v1.001 :wink:

3 Likes

Wow, nice one!

I had a much more limited version of something similar for Softimage XSI.
Thanks for this, it will useful for sure over here :slight_smile:

rob

2 Likes

The good thing. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Insane! Now the only thing missing is the RGB color selector on-screen in the menu since different images could have different backgrounds. But holy guacamole, I love this. Thanks.

thank you Kjell
I try to upload an alpha channel PNG (below) but there is an error message that reads: “image not found (blend file) Cancelled”

That image does not have any alpha.

p.s. If it did, that would be a worst case scenario: If you find a version with an alpha-channel, expect long process times & very high polycount. jfyi.

thanks, it had an alpha channel when I opened it in GIMP but I went back and created a new alpha channel and now it seems to work just fine

awesome and very usefull - thanks a lot !

is there any chance of using the alpha channel form procedural maps as input ?

cheers . oliver

Thx!
No, not unless it’s baked down to an image file.

would it be possible with this type of geometry ?

kei2m is probably not the solution for this situation.

thx . keep up your brilliant work !

1 Like

Is there anyway you can include functionality that would instead of just a png file allow it to operate on PNG sequences

Should be doable, I’ll look into it.

1 Like

Version 1.005 is out, with new features:

7 Likes