New character rig for blender: Little_fella

Hello,

here is another mirror:

EDIT: new version http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/Little_fella_02.blend

FreakyDude, thanks for the rig!

-AntonG

Thanks for the mirrors! And thanks for the hand mod, too!

Only problem I’m having right now is with the fingers. They don’t curl for me, which I’ll need for my short animation I’m planning. I’m going to need them to grip something, and right now they just bend at the knuckle joints.

Anyway, thanks! I’ll keep watchin’ this for updates! :smiley:

He guys, Anton thanks for hosting him man, I’ll update the first post soon with the new mirrors.

Goodguy20k, you can curl the fingers by scaling the bones. It’s the same technique mancandy uses. If you look at the third or fourth bone layer, all the extra handbones, the ones that actually deform the hand, show up. they are connected to the tip with an IK chain. the target is a bone which is parented to the bones you see in layer 1 (the bones you try to rotate etc) when you rotate the bone, naturally the target moves along, making the fingers rotate. scaling the bone makes the IK fingerchain curl, so that’s it basically. Ow, there’s another target bone for each finger to make sure it doesn’t curl inwards…

This one is really easy to pose rig, simple controls but yet very powerful … I’ll try to do some animation …

Hope one day I manage to do my own rig as well :wink:

http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/Little_Fella_pose1.png

-AntonG

MAN! YOU ROCK! :wink:

Sweet! Gonna have to play with this.

(I may shoot you with a script in a little while of the short I’m planning, if you’re interested. Just something to animate. :slight_smile: If you’re interested in what I plan to use him for, that is.)

Haha! It’s Rockman! o no wait, that was that little blue fellow with that helmet… Cool theme man!

and goodguy, yeah I might be interested. I’m a little busy with real life stuff though, and I have some small test animations planned as well. But throw me a line, I’m rather curious…

I’ve made a rapidshare account and a mediashare account, but unfortunately the company’s firewalls prevent me from uploading to them. I’ll have two new mirrors later this evening.

WOOT 5 star ratings!! wtf?

I may be a noob with this rapidshare thing and all but I don’t get a download link or page or options or something. I can copy the direct link to the file though, which is what I’ll do:

EDIT:
links invalid, check first post
/EDIT

( I like that mediamax mirror so far! fast, clear, might be my polorix alternative, mediafire seems slow as a slug, but might be just a coincidence. )

O and Anton, one day you will be able to make your own polished rig as well, it’s just a matter of training/researching and building it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is a short promo animation for this little free fella – http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/little_fella.mov

:wink:

-AntonG

Suggestion: I noticed that the green helper objects are oriented with the Local Y axis being vertical. This could be a bit confusing when fine-tuning in the IPO editor. Since Blender uses a Global Z axis for the vertical, I think it would make more sense to have the helper objects realigned so that their local Z is vertical to match the global axis. Less confusing that way.

Therefore, when you fine-tune in the IPO editor, you know without a doubt that you can select the local Z (LocZ) IPO curve for editing. As it stands now, you would need to select LocY to adjust for vertical movement.

Also, the eye bone helper is currently aligned on the Local Z versus Y for the other objects

The screenies I saw where very nice, so I am downloading the blend now. Can’t use it tho, as I am rendering an animation with the petunia rig.

Looks great though!

Heh thanks Andy, let me know what you think of it when you’ve tried it.

Room335, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check it later today, I might have to fiddle around a bit to make some of the helper objects make sense again after rotating them.
I think I’ll upload a new version to all the mirrors with that issue fixed later today. Won’t be early I’m afraid though. work and all…

EDIT:
Just did some quick testing, (soo easy when it’s hosted online) and I can flip a few bones around so that their local y is pointing up and their local Z facing forward, but it doesn’t work on the hands, since they copy the rotation of the helper object.
I take it you were not referring to all the bones? the footroot bones had their -y axis up, I can “fix” that, in fact I just have, but bones like the head, and facial helper bones are allready local y pointing up. It doesn’t really matter what local axis is pointing forward does it? I’m trying to keep that uniform as well though…
The bones you mean are the shouldertargets, the torso, the eyebone, the footroot and maybe even the footroll bones right?
If you mean the hands, sorry I don’t know how to fix that right now. You can’t copy a rotation value and paste it to another axis’ rotation value, not that I’m aware of anyway. If I’m wrong, please DO let me know. If I choose local, the hands keep inheriting their rotation from the forearms, disconnecting them is not an option, arm twist needs it connected. and hinge doesn’t work, it’s just the local thing that does it. I can make the hand follow nicely along and all, but when I rotate, all the rotations happen according their local axis, and since these are different.
Or you’d have to use drivers in the IPO window, but then you’d have to use another out-of-armature target right?

I’m just thinking out loud here.

I think the best “fix” right now would be realigning the shouldertargets, torso, eyebone, footroot bones. Maybe even the footroll bones, but would those be very trivial? I’ll fix the shouldertargets, torso, eyebone and footroot bones later today in the original file.
/EDIT

Sorry I read it too fast, mixed up a certain axis, erhm. fixing it now, bug testing afterwards…

Hey Freaky Dude, very nice rig you got here. I made him become a zombeh! But now I need to know how to dup the walkcycle without him magically teleporting away to the start of the new cycle… Any help peeps?

new file uploaded, old filesharing links now invalid, I’ll remove them from the first post and the net shortly.

Fixes: the local z axis of all control bones now point up, with the exception of the waist, since that is part of the spine.
EDIT:
links no longer valid, see first post
/EDIT
and the googlepage link should still work:
http://tieleman.m.googlepages.com/home

No weird things noticed after some testing, I think everything works as it should, but if you guys find anything please do let me know.

EHhm, could you be a little more specific? I’ve had no trouble doing walkcycles with him, and I’ve made about 3 or 4 with him by now.
did you set something wrong in the NLE editor?
Are your “endframes” set properly in the timeline? have you set the red record button for auto keys when flipping poses or something? I’ll need some more details.

Hello,

my mirror was updated as well —> http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/Little_fella_02.blend

I’ve removed the old one.

-AntonG

My turn. :wink:

Here’s a cartoon shaded version. (Just had to try it. :slight_smile: ) I use a cheap shader ramp method, just in case anyone wonders.

Attachments

Well to be frank, I don’t know how to do a walkcycle. I set some IPO’s for some positions of the guy to make the “walk” part, but that’s about all. I prolly need to find a good tutorial on this.

you can get a long way by doing the BSOD walkcycle tutorial. the legs in my rig are a little easier to control, so for the footpart, you never need to use more than the foot control and the footroll control bones

EDIT:
hey goodguy, nice idea, try to disable the black outlines and make him total shadeless, wonder what that would look like.

Here is my attempt trying lipsync animation - Little Fella the Singer
I know it sure lacks for some realism, but I’m still learning :wink:

http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/little_fella_the_singer.jpg

Movie (5.3MB) —> http://www.renderplace.com/blenderfiles/little_fella_the_singer.mov

-AntonG