New Game Engine!

Hello guys, i’m here to present our new project!
Called Range, it aims to improve upbge 2.7x.

Previously it was called upbge 0.2.6 which would be the definitive version of upbge with blender 2.79x, however we decided to try to continue the engine with new features and improvements.

Common questions:

Why did the name change?

If we want to keep updating we need a new versioning system because we have the small range of versions between 0.2.5 ~ 0.3.0 where the new upbge works.

Why didn’t you change it to a name similar to BGE or UPBGE?

Believe me, we tried. however this is not very good for marketing.

We need your help:
A patreon was created for this engine to be supported by the community and we also need new collaborators in the project.

Learn more at rangeengine.tech.
If you have any questions, leave them below and I’ll answer them all! thanks!

10 Likes

It will be more about adding new features , optimizing existing tech or implementing/updating new ones ?

The goal is long term maintenance or switching to new render tech later ? Blender 2.79 has some bottlenecks to unlock or is just about finding some room for optimizations ?

2 Likes

Yes, we are thinking about long-term support, with new features and improvements in the gameengine. :slight_smile:
The renderer issue we need to continue the refactoring.

3 Likes

are you going to stick with the Blender 2.79 OpenGL 2.1 or there’s any major upgrade planned ? I never understood if UPBGE 2x improved the BGE render engine itself.

1 Like

We stopped updating to openGL 3.3 because it will leave many users unable to use the engine. maybe in the future the range will stop using opengl2.1…

upgrading to another opengl is such a big deal to remain compatible and it’s feasibility ? I see that opengl 2.1 is very old it explains that upbge 0.25 makes games that looks like 2005 (Quake 4 for example)

Im really not a pro with those render technologies running behind, but what would be the big milestone for Range engine to make games look more modern visually ?

Also, i remember seeing some very incredible stuff made with python shaders on BGE many years ago … i feel all those “hacks” and “good practice” are like forgotten knowledge …

About materials , what about embedding into Range some materials by default ?

There’s some many things in UPBGE/BGE that seems unclear and being mastered by only a few wizards … that should be compiled directly into Range and/or provided as a documented asset.

There’s a roadmap ?

1 Like

There is a lib called Zinc for Mesa that emulates openGL using vulkan.

If you want longevity this is it.

2 Likes

This looks interesting!

1 Like

We still need an 0.2.6+ (Please!)

IWvro2y

Don’t abandon the UPBGE Versions its still very relevant not everyone will just jump over to range just because its got major updates or because its reskinned and renamed.

Fred/K.S

1 Like

Fred,

I think they are doing well to raise some funds to motivate the troops. You can still finish your Blender Soon Wars on upbge and polish it with Range to benefit latest updates

2 Likes

That’s what Range releases are all about: legacy oriented UPBGE releases.

It’s the exact opposite, Range releases are picking up the slack of legacy development of UPBGE releases.

2 Likes

I do have prototyping ambitions for Range Engine just to test the performance!
I don’t think I will make my games on the engine because of codebase issues it may mess up my libraries, but I will definitely compare performance with UPBGE 0.2.0 and 0.2.5 using range and see if I’m on the track!

I will use range to see how it runs my optimizations; so far it behaves! but I may have to get quite more stuff done first.

I did test one of my prototype Alpha maps in Range its promising, I don’t see much of a difference with UPBGE 0.2.0!

Take note im testing it on my Low-End pc and its holding up nicely this pc uses Open GL 3.3+

Fred/K.S

1 Like

Fred/K.S

why are you posting this here ? lol

Could REngine include lamp textures to fake shadows ?

Range engine youtube channel should post a video every week to maintain the hype

Its nice to see how animations have vastly improved in RanGE!
With the new GPU Skinning update…

Fred/K.S

it makes for impressive tech demo showcases, but i would actually like to see actual gameplay of an actually fully made game on this version or variant of UPBGE

Fred/K.S

looks cool for ocean Realtime waves simulation

Fred/K.S

1 Like

is Range able to use gpu acceleration or does it run only on the CPU ?

1 Like

It should be both under user preferences Ii’e seen the option to switch but in the case that your pc doesn’t have a GPU it automatically uses CPU Acceleration or skinning tech.

I will test out its performance on TBW next month if i get the chance to really I will see but I’m sticking with UPBGE for the long term.

Just a Quick Update guys:

#Soon!

Fred/K.S

1 Like