New icons for Blender 2.8

Nothing stopping there being a future addition to the theme code to use RGB channels as you suggested later. At which point, the theme colours won’t have to be baked in.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one. I think we’ve pushed as far as brecht is willing to bend on this (and it’s pretty clear that jendrzych is not interested in going further than monochrome at this point). Custom icons is a pretty big step and given timing + past history on UI changes, I think the best we can hope for in 2.8.

FWIW, when it comes to the UI, good ideas take some time to grab hold in Blender. We’re STILL waiting on that (consistent/functional) left-click select keymap default. :wink:

1 Like

Screenshot of some of the latest icons. I noticed the Soft Body icon is still a wrench/spanner—not sure if that is intentional.

1 Like

and the dynamic paint looks like a human foot lol, maybe a circle would have been a better choice…but it’s fine i like these new ones :slight_smile:

@xrg
Well, I don’t know why ist this way… There should ba a Flag icon. @William what happened with M6 icon?

@Zino.G
The most spectacular use of Dynamic Paint, which I encountered, was “painting” traces on the sand. The choice of the icon was therefore obvious: D

1 Like

I found a missing icon, maybe you are already aware of that, but juste in case :slight_smile: when you add a force field (or maybe just an empty I don’t remember) one of the properties editor tabs uses an old icon :slight_smile:

Thanks for spotting, will fix.

2 Likes

It’s an empty. GUI uses old T1 icon. I made one for Grease Pencil Blank ObData (not in interface yet, but present in the sheet) it could be reused for time being. Or - since the Object icon is bold now - the button may use old version of the Object pictogram. The thin one.

1 Like

hihih i don’t mind it, just find it funny and btw great job on these new ones.

Soft body icon could be like

A flag is still something you’re more likely to do with a fabric sim.

8 Likes

As someone who has never used dynamic paint and didn’t really know what it was, I got a good idea with the footprint icon: an object leaves some kind of textured mark on another one, which can include not only color, but depth etc.

Icons are not meant to explain the functions to those users who are first in touch with it. That’s job for a manual. Icons are meant to be just a visual anchor, logically associated with the represented function.

BTW You’ve just desctibed a footprint :smiley:

1 Like

I deffinitely have to give it a try!

1 Like

Tweaked Collision icon, new Particle Instance one and revisited Softbody (thx to @yogyog):
soft%20body%2C%20collision%2C%20particle%20instance

10 Likes

Tweaked Safe icon (the Fake User) - it depicts two states now - 0 user (opened safe) / Fake User assigned (closed safe):
fake%20user_5

7 Likes

Yes I found this to be somewhat confusing. If you can show some screenshots of exactly how and where these icons are meant to go, I can fix it.

Yes, that it was I was saying: it is good, and I even got an idea of what the modifier did.

Can you make it more of a heraldic shield, with a flat top? This one reminds me too much of law enforcement.

Also, how about inverting the symbology here? Instead of something indicating protection, how about something that indicated scheduled deletion? Like a trash bin maybe?

My reasoning here is that no newbie will understand what he’s protecting the data from. The whole fake user behaviour is one of the least intuitive things about Blender.

love these! easily understandable what they do

2 Likes

Yep - now I’m convinced that the safe is better idea then the shield, despite the funky, unintuitive Fake User conception.

I think the jello should be more pyramidal (larger at the base) to be more recognizable