New icons for Blender 2.8

Damn it! I knew something will be wrong :smiley:
So lets just say that they are transgender jellyfishes. Fixed.

Not yet - BAME transgender. Now itā€™s politically correct.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how it came out.
softbody_4

Itā€™s way better than a jelly.

7 Likes

Damn youā€™re good.
Maybe this is better after all.

ummm after all the work you have put in, I say you just switch the jellyfish icon to your avatar. They almost look alike. lol

My avatar is a sphere with reflection and refraction. When Youā€™ll see a sphere, the jellyfish will dissapear and vice versa - thatā€™s how our brains cheets us.

If thereā€™s at least a slight possibility for those boobs getting into 2.8, youā€™ve got my vote! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really liking the progress here! One minor gripe I have is about the material and shading icons.

The look dev one is flat while the rest are rounded, and the wireframe doesnā€™t quite represent a sphere like the others.

Would something like this (but cleaner) work?
svg_%20%40%20600%25%20(RGB_GPU%20Preview)

Or if one is flat they could all be flat.

The material icon in the properties tabs has a lot more solid color than any of the other icons in the properties tab, so it stands out a bit too much. It doesnā€™t seem to match the perspective either - top 3/4 view vs. straight on for all the others.

It could very well be intentional and Iā€™m just looking at them wrong, but those are my first thoughts. Thanks again for all this hard work!

1 Like

Idk if the jellyfish would work it doesnā€™t convey softbody very well imo

If consistency is what you are going for, I think there is still work to do.

7 Likes

I like your first one. The squashed shape on its own wouldnā€™t be understood as a squashed object if it werenā€™t for the 3 lines, so the combination does convey the idea quite efficiently.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny because itā€™s really just five or six people who reply to every tiny detail with total dislike. They are pretty much discussing the issues with each other and they all agree that they hate it. So obviously, if you come in here and see how many negative reactions there are, it would seem as though everyone hates the new icons.

However, if you look, youā€™ll see that itā€™s actually a small group of people. The same group who dislike the general direction of the new UI by the way. In fact, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll see most of the negativity in most threads coming from these same people.

But you know how it goes. Itā€™s the internet. :wink:

By the way, Iā€™m not referring to simply disagreeing with the ideas of designers. What Iā€™m talking about is when the criticism is purely emotion reaction followed by statements that read a fact without the consideration of others.

6 Likes

Red and green: These options mean ā€˜enable in viewportā€™ and ā€˜enable in rendered outputā€™ respectively. It is consistent.

Yellow: Perhaps, yes.

Pink: It could be more different, I suppose. At one point, @Jendrzych had this as an easel, which in many ways makes more sense than a camera. Because these settings affect the viewport, itā€™s not so much about developing a film roll, but more about how you ā€˜render your sceneā€™ - just like a painter decides how to render a scene.

He changed it because many people preferred the camera, but it does create this inconsistency of meaning. These settings also affect the viewport, not just the output render.

Purple: This problem has to do with the way scrollbars have changed. This problem we could fix simply by moving these toggles in a bit. It is unrelated to icon design.

1 Like

Red and green: I think what he meant is that in the outliner, when you toggle either of those, it changes the icon, which doesnā€™t happen when you toggle them in the modifiers tab. But that was the same in 2.7x, although it doesnā€™t mean we should keep it that way. I donā€™t see a problem with having the icons change in both cases.

2 Likes

glad that u liked itā€¦maybe @jendrzych could do a cleaner one.

Ah yes, we could probably fix that, so they reflect the correct state for the modifiers. As you say, this was the same in 2.7x too, but could be improved.

1 Like

To be honest, I loved the easel icon - it was so much appropriate, that I was really dissapointed, when people started complaining about it. Iā€™d say, it should be revisited for sake of consistency.
Hereā€™s a quick mockup with some other tweaks and changes (the bold Object icon must go - it was a mistake):
tweaked
or
tweaked_2
Mind three different icons containing a cone and the sun - if only I had an idea how to incorporate this into the World iconā€¦

And the current one, just for comparison:
current

I kinda like the abstract World icon (a spinning sphere), but all other icons in this category are quite realistic, so a classic globe is on its place here.

8 Likes

Yes please, letā€™s have the easel back :wink: Looks so good.

2 Likes

Unsure about the easel. Difficult to tell what it is without knowing itā€™s an easel, especially because the mountain(?) part of it looks like itā€™s an inverted completion of the ā€œtriangleā€ that the easel legs imply.

I do really like the camera option though.

Also, I love the world icon over the literal globe.
The world icon also clearly reads as a picture of earth, the globe is a bit questionable, especially without the stand and lack of land masses. If you must do a globe, maybe consider a stand like this?

guys, tell me what you want, but I these 3 new icons can not digest them.
do not tell me vertices segments and faces but the buttons of an old video recorder or at most the very old gui of the Amiga of the 90s ā€¦ and itā€™s not just the monochromaticity that already creates problems for me ā€¦

if I did not know how my pockets blender, and come from another 3d modeller I would have serious difficulty understanding what these icons are ā€¦
and if I had never touched a 3d program, it would be the end.

and I did not investigate all the other icons in detail ā€¦

asking the question from the point of view of a person who has never seen a 3d program in his life, how would he get out?

I started to analyze the style itself, I admit that for many years of use of professional applications, initially I also let myself be carried away by the ā€œmodernā€ stylization ā€¦
but now I have made some reasoning ā€¦ if I were a kid, who would like to try to use blender, for the first time, what would I have?

and I think, that blender is no longer friendly. nothing from this point of view tells me sympathy, ok now is ā€œamong the professionalsā€ but novice people, with these icons and colors come out definitively scared. they say alt, this is not terrain for beginners. Itā€™s adult stuff.
and thinking about this I became very sad ā€¦ this is not the effect that I first made this program many years ago ā€¦
for me it is not a positive thing.

bad

wb_10

4 Likes