NITROX3D: A new hard surface workflow for designers

I understand the hurt feelings, but it’s not like you turned around and spun it into a $100 course. I’ll be buying it as soon as I get paid.

It’s a fun topic. It’s almost “Blender as puzzle.” Some other programmers and I compared it to those “minimum lines of code” challenges.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is the whole"Free" thing, Blender is free as are many addons, so when someone charges for something to some it will irk. Of course are they the same people who in a few years time work in a VFX company or create their own stuff, charge for their work or expect to be paid.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario where in a few years time a major VFX company had all changed to Blender and turned around to their workers and said to them, well Blenders free, so your services are free.

1 Like

Since I want to talk about almost anything other than the money stuff, Chipp: Did you figure this out from trial and error? Or did you bring insights from other modeling software?

Thank you for your guide :smiley:

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this!

Regarding diverge/converge process:
I’m familiar with it since we also work in a similar fashion. Some team members will only sketch during the diverge phase, I prefer to do a mix of several tools like you also seem to do. I can make several very quick concepts using CAD, as well as using zbrush, 2d sketching or subd modeling, but some types of objects are just easier to model using specific tools.

On the topic of vitaly bulgarov being able to model any helmet you can think of:
Military helmets concepts are done in a different manner as, say, a bike helmet. The main point is that there’s very minimal styling, but the real important aspect is the surface layout, which can’t be done in any useful manner other than in CAD. Then we can get these to engineers as fast as possible and involve them in the process early on (I’m not willing to divulge which company I work for).
That said, I have no doubt the top guys in the 3d industry could model a helmet that looks fairly similar in no time, much faster than CAD. But that wouldn’t really help the design process.

On NITROX3D for complex stuff:
Yes, I could see that being another useful tool that designers should try out and see if it fits their project/style. But I still think that it’s either marginally faster than CAD (like fusion 360 which I stand by my point, it’s fast when in DM mode), or slower when dealing with anything more complex than simple boxes.

Keyshot:
I use Keyshot on my i5 thinkpad tablet, and it handles just about everything, from assemblies with thousands of parts to heavy zbrush models (not retopo’ed). So it really doesn’t need a powerful computer to do most things at all. And in my experience it takes about a minute or two to put those last fillets in fusion 360. I strongly disagree with Keyshot being anything less than a super fast renderer, but I do agree that eevee is obviously faster for previewing cmf in context.

VR:
I have my own kit at home and use it to design for fun (gravity sketch, and CAD mockups using Unreal Engine for interactions), but I’ll admit we don’t have a lot of use for it at my job. But I do believe it’s a formidable tool that will end up standard in virtually all design teams at some point.

My conclusion would be that yes, blender ND workflow can be used by designers, and I encourage them to try it to see if it fits with their project/workflow, but I think that the use is going to be very limited compared to other specialized tools.

1 Like

I would not argue that Blender can take the place of final CAD designs. Only that it can be used earlier on in the diverge process.

I doubt you’ve seen Octane or even Cycles with GPU rendering. With the right setup, they are faster than Keyshot. BTW, are you rendering splines or polys?

After masterxeon schooled me on the basics (and some of the advanced techniques, like double solidify), then being inspired by Cedric’s wonderful videos, I decided to dig deeper and see what was possible. Thus NITROX3D was born :wink:

I really appreciate the effort you put into explaining the fundamentals, i was struggling with booleans and beveling but after watching a couple of your videos everything clicked, even the fSpy Camera Matching tutorial was really useful and straightforward with a great explanation of the fundamentals I already bought KIT OPS PRO and I’m thinking about buying all your other products too! I don’t understand the hostility you’re getting for providing this great service for a super reasonable price AND a lot of other free content.

1 Like

Thanks ARC9 for the nice comments. It is a challenge to balance the correct content for people starting out along with folks who have been using Blender for awhile-- not to mention throw 2.8 in the mix and things do become even more complicated from and end-user expectation.

I suspect it has to do with how people see the world.

1 Like

No but that’s what I’m saying. There wouldn’t be any use to these guys making 3d models in Blender in the diverge process in this specific case (military helmet), because they couldn’t provide surfaces that are useful for anything. Bike helmets, sure, that’s mostly styling. I’m talking about the early design process here, not the final CAD.

I’ve been working with Octane for years now (on and off for personal projects). It’s the perfect example of needing an expensive computer to be able to render fast. On the other hand, I can use Keyshot with my tablet, workstation, any computer that I use, and it’s going to be at least decent (or very very fast on a half decent computer), which isn’t the case for gpu renderers. Same goes for Red shift, prorender, cycles etc. There’s a reason why Keyshot is so widely used in industrial design, and that’s because of the very simple nature of the renderings needed for products. I think it would be very hard to convince any designer that Keyshot isn’t the best renderer for their application. If we take Keyshot out of that specific context, such as rendering anything with volumetrics and large exterior scenes, then sure, Octane is going to do better, but that’s not what we do in industrial design.
Also, I render polys.

That is inconsistent from what you’ve said before, “Some team members will only sketch during the diverge phase.” How is ‘sketching’ in Blender any different from a marker sketch in the diverge phase?

In my experience, Keyshot blows on an underpowered computer. In any case, you still need a powerful computer to use Solidworks for CAD documentation. I agree, gpu renders don’t work well (if at all) on cpu only machines.

I’ve had a subscription to Keyshot since it first came out. Now that I use Blender, I’ve let it lapse. So we know at least one designer doesn’t think that way. :wink:

1 Like

Ok, I shelled out the $$$. Hopefully get to play with it this weekend.

1 Like

Thanks for your patronage. I hope you enjoy the lessons.

Bought the videos myself, been using Hops & BC for a while, but always interested to see workflows I may not be aware of. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although this workflow is unsuitable to my hard-surface asset creation(game dev) I am always interested in and appreciate any hard-surface workflow that I come across.

As for the commercial aspect of all this I am 100% behind what you are doing. As someone who has over 130 free 3D tutorials on my YT channel, and a few paid on Gumroad, I fully appreciate just how much time and effort and work that goes into an endeavor like this.

The problem with the world we live in nowadays is that everyone just feels entitled to ‘free’ online by default. These same people gladly and nonchalantly pay $5 for a cup of coffee daily, but whinge when there is a $1 paywall for an asset or resource that someone has spent weeks or months creating with the purpose of helping the community at large. It’s pretty depressing, really.

Best of luck with everything, mate. :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks! Hope they lend some insight w/regard to those other addons.

Your sentiment is much appreciatd :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, will there be more parts / videos, like for example that part you showed by Vitaly?

1 Like

Yes, I want to do that one next as soon as my last treatment is finished.

Get well soon!

Thanks for your work. I don’t have an issue with you selling your workflow, you gave the bulk of it away in the first two videos anyway. I did get something out of the full version as well.

What’s your feeling on starting with a point and then applying two screw modifiers to get a plane? Then with an additional solidify you could change any dimension of the rectangular volume by changing values in the modifiers.

I’m also curious if you have any good ways to limit downstream changes when you change the initial volume. Say you need to make the body longer and the booleans in the front no longer are in the correct position.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

1 Like