NO UNDO? still?

Hey, a brand new release. Where is the undo?

We don’t need undo.

Env

O.K, I will create something in Houdini and you create the same thing in Blender. I will save my scene and exit and reopen houdini and change something in the scene that I have created in houdini and I bet you a billion dollars that you can’t duplicate it without starting the whole thing over in Blender. Better yet, I will change everytthing obout the whole thing by just appending operators. If you have to restart, You loose.
I am talking about a scene that has taken both of us about 72 hours of hard work to make. I will build my 72 hour scene and you build yours and lets change something. The client that we are cometing for will want the fastest results. I don’t think in a million years you could come out on top.

Harlequin, if you have nothing constructive to add to the forum, I’d suggest you refrain from posting until you find something that is.

If the people in charge of the programming of Blender would get off of thier asses or the people that think that Blender is the best because it is open source would get off of thier asses I might leave.
The fact is, all of the Blender users think that Blender is the best program because it is free and open source. Open source is only good if people who can program put thier skills to use and improve upon it. If you fuck heads would improve upon Blender instead of waiting for it to get better, saying that it is open source therefor it is better I wouldn’t belittle your dumb asses. As it stands now with the people who brag on open source but don’t improve on it, are deserving of my critisism.

one of the great qualities of open source is that the product they are working on is done when it’s damn well done.

and if you are so compasionet about blender why don’t you start building the undo function?

Dear mister Harlequin,

Stay at your Houdini, it’s a great program, so is Blender, but don’t compare a water with fire.

Thank you

Harlequins an idiot. just look at his posts in"hey guys, you got to check this out" Do you notice how Harl bashes the program and then calls everyone else lazy, but Harl is the one that’s complaining. I wonder if Harl knows how to program an undo feature into blender. He/she acts like because of a lack of undo, blender is a piece of garbage. Oh yeah, Harl also said that everyone should get pirated copy of the software he/she’s using. Thats harls solution to a lack of undo in blender. complete idiot

haha

You guys are so funny. I told you about the new ferrari’s and you would rather take the bus.
SAD REALLY. No hope for you doomed bastards.

I’ve been listening to some of the programmers of the Blender updates at blender.org and they say they’re aware that undo is the most requested feature. They think it would be quite difficult to implement in Blender though.
Their current priority is to clean up the code and make it easy to keep it cross-platform I think, and fixing bugs (adding undo involves adding a feature not fixing a bug) and adding minor features like zooming with the mouse-wheel.
Some of them are looking into adding an undo feature so there is a good chance it will be there in the future.
See this thread:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=974

Well I’m using Blender because I’m doing a commercial project and I’ve got no money. (A lot of free software is for non-commercial use only)

Houdini’s free version, the apprentice edition is for non-commercial projects only, it adds a watermark, and the output is limited to 640x480. I am doing animations for TV, so the output has to be 720x576.

The commercial versions of Houdini range from US$1,299 to US$17,000.

Also, I’ve spent hundreds of hours learning to use Blender… it would take ages to learn all the things I know in Blender in other software.

Actually in that thread it was talking about learning the value of good project management. I have to admit that did make sense to me.

My main music making software has an “undo” similar to Blender’s. It’s not a history as such and I don’t often notice it’s absence even though I use it so often.

Also, the project management aspect actually makes quite a good point. Undos are usually no substitute for good organisation and file management.

I’m not saying a “historical undo” feature wouldn’t be fantastic, but without one you do tend to concentrate a little more on those fundamental project management tactics of versioning.

I’m glad I read that now.

Reading that thread was quite informative. Also made for a good laugh when I got to this part:

1. Objects undo:
  • weird harddisk buffer system
    {ctrl-w} {PlusSign} {Enter} (yes saved the file with an added number)
  • fumble around with the objects, not happy? {ctrl-o} {enter}
    Nice note on this, when NaN went banckrupt all the W keys in the content room where worn off.

Poor W keys but so true. Makes the people who worked at NaN sound like they were either over zealous or spent way too much time modeling heheh

They make a good point that undo would for the most part make a waste of memory. A lot of people love blender for the simple fact that it does not require a lot of power to create some amazing scenes. Burning up memory with an undo history when there are quite a few ways to “undo” the mistake you just made already, seems to be step in the wrong direction really. I recently bought macromedias flash mx and the history cache if not reduced to something rational can use more memory than the lastest fps in a 30 player game. Basically just save your work harlequin and if you are an amature then go back to houdini since you are so fond of it.

Harlequin, if you’re still obsessed by the tool you use rather than by the work you do, you’re very far from beeing an artist, at best you could make a good technician.
There is NO need to judge a product better or less good than another excpet in a context of productivity.
And Productivity isn’t Art. If you think that way, go and make SFX, but leave other people alone.
You feel at ease with Houdini? Great, but stop making stupid provocations. It only prooves you’re stupid, nothing else.
Or maybe you’re laughing in front of what we call ‘primitive art’, cause they use wood tools and natural materials, and you use a computer?
That shows a damn ridiculous egocentric and arrogant mentality, instead of a technical power demonstration. But after all, if it’s your fun to loose time on this instead of practising, just go ahead ! :wink:

OK, thats enough. Harlequinhas been flamed bad. Go home everyone.

Actually the plus sign seems to only work after using F2 (save as). Ctrl-W is just save. Also, Ctrl-S seems to do exactly the same thing as Ctrl-W.

We don’t need undo.

Hate to disagree, but this is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Don’t let blind love of Blender make you think such nonsense. All of you out there who use professional applications know how important and significant an ‘undo’ function is in your daily work. It lets you take risks and be creative in a way hobbyists can’t imagine.
If you think Blender is popular now, the undo will only exponentially increase its use.

Undo is good, people. I love Blender, but there is no more important function that could ever be added.

Can you imagine After Effects without an undo? It would be freeware too.

If you had any brains you would save each version of your creation in a new file, and make sure you always save a new version before you try anything risky. I try risky stuff all the time and if it didn’t work, I just reload the version I saved before I tried the risky operation. And no you don’t loose hours of work cos if ya cleaver you save just before you do the risky operation. Blender doesn’t have a proper undo, but I’ve never needed one and never will.

Keith. 8)

I say again: GO HOME