Node Kit - Blender add-on to manage (save and load) nodes in Node Editor

Hi, can you please update to the latest version of Node Kit, and try again?
BTW, the latest version is Version 1.3.12.

I am using the latest. I have to say this problem is only happening when I try to save something using an older project. If I create something on a project saved in 3.0.0 then it works as expected. I have to test more in order to see if everything works.

Edit: Found out that simply selecting something the problem doesn’t show up and it loads the preset just fine. So it was just an issue when something wasn’t selected. This was a world node preset.

The other issues is why the old preset do not port? Where is this all saved? I remember talking about this a while back but I totally forgot.

1 Like

The early version of Node Kit saves all nodes in node_kit_default_json file, and new versions saves in NodeKit_Library folder.

Try renaming node_kit_default_json to any name (like a.json) if node_kit_default_json exists in your home folder, and try again.

I can’t find that file. What’s the path? I can see the new folder in my user folder. Can we change this folder somewhere else? I don’t like saving any libraries in my C drive.

2 Likes

I asked for that, too. :upside_down_face:
As well as the option to save images with nodes OR not !

Yeah that could be very handy too. I have packed materials in the past but I prefer using a simple path to my textures library now instead in order to save space but I get the risk if that library disappears one day.

1 Like

Yeah, Setting a custom path for nodes was in my plan for a long time, but I was thinking how to mange this feature well, because different versions of blenders would have different user path. Some users may confuse at the first time. Well I will do it in the near future.

Why not always save images with nodes? This is what Node Kit dong right now.

Hi

storing images in nodes makes no sense, because when you for example have 50 nodes containing 4 image nodes each for materials, displacement, etc…
THEN your NodeKit folder will blow up a big time, doubling the file size and creating copy’s what fills the storage. Then you have all images used twice or more on your storage PLUS that this folder would be in the user folder in the MAIN/SYSTEM harddrive.

Makes more sense to just store the path to the images etc. AND choose the right path that isn’t the SYSTEM drive path…!!!

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Well, at the very beginning, Node Kit did not save images in nodes, and just save it’s image name, and assume the image is in the open blend file. But, haha, a lot of users just want this feature, and they need it to just export all nodes, and import in another PC, without handling (copying) images to the new PC.

I think adding a new option to not save images in nodes will make all users happy, and I know it’s hard to make all users happy.

Sounds good to me.
But please don’t forget to add the option to save the nodes in a user choosen FOLDER!

Same for me, maybe for the others who need the image save option, too.
Because it’s never good to save such things on a SYSTEM drive.

I know it’s a bummer with the customers, but if you look on the other hand, we paid for an addon that’s supposed to help and make things easier, otherwise we would use the Assetbrowser, already able to those things except the n-panle menu.

And for the images save/no save option, only a tickbox is needed between the save/no save option already exist && the where to save the nodekit folder option, is a view lines of code + saving location in the nodekit preferences.

Maybe thinking of the ability to save the nodes, so they can have access to network drives or the net.
That’s useful for companies, storing their assets on servers all over the world or just on a office server…

Thanks in advance and your patients

Hi, this is not just a few lines of code, it’s more complex than you think.

Let’s take an example: You set your node folder path to A in your Blender 2.9.3, and than you install blender 3.0.0, and you set a different path B, and we need to copy the node folder in path A to this new folder path, and you install blender 3.0.1, you may set an new different path C, and here which path to copy to this new path? (A or B? Assume A and B folders have different nodes)

Why we need to copy new path here? Because you want to get exists nodes to work on new path as well.

Because different blender can have different path, and make these different paths consistent is a hard issue. This is why I did not implement this feature so quickly, I need to think about it, and don’t make users get confused.

I am planning to force all blender versions to use the same custom user set path, you can set a path to store nodes, but all versions of blender must use the same path. Once you set a path in Blender, all other versions of blender will have the same path for storing nodes.

It’s meant to be like:
You set a path ‘X’ for the nodekit folder in it’s preferences and AWAY from the system drive AS USER.
This path X is used from all blender versions installed. (every time you setup another blender version and the nodekit addon you set nodekit preferences to this path X).
The user sets the folder path when he is installing it. So he can always choose the shared folder X.
OR
If someone installs different blender versions with nodekit AND different path for each, then it’s his resposibility to copy the nodes from one path to the other, and not yours.
And when the people know where they have there different path folders they can install the nodes via the backup option.

In the ADDON folder from NodeKit you store in preferences the blender VERSION that was used to save a path for the individual nodekit nodes folder the user has set. You can use the file information of the blender app to get the version and date.

But mainly most people will set a shared folder away from the system drive to get used by all the blender versions they test or install.

1 Like

Mose users just want to custom the path and set it to Google Driver, DropBox folder and sync with cloud, so I think simply force all versions of blender to share a custom path is okay, and I can copy old nodes to new path, I don’t suggest users to do copy themselves, because there is some risk to damage the folder structure which can lead to bugs and errors.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Could be a X-mas present. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have 3 issues (2 issues are from you) to be updated for Node Kit. And I will try my best to implement them before this Black Friday sale.

Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Hi, Just want to let you know I have fixed your 2 issues, please update your Node Kit, make sure to restart Blender after re-install Node Kit.

Version 1.3.13:

• Add an option to not save images in nodes
  • Add ability to load shader nodes for FONT(a.k.a. Text) object
  • Add ability to save nodes in custom path
1 Like