Old Kings Crown with Rubies WiP

So added a velvet pbr material with some alterations to make it look like crushed velvet.

The rope looks better & tassels looks better, but I really need to figure out the material for the cushion.

So worked a bit with the scene, I think it’s nearly done.
I am just going to work a bit on the materials.

Added a little gold-name tag.

Started working on the Scene, might need to rethink the composition of the scene.
I think I am going to add some low poly elements in the background for depth.
Move the logo from the cushion to a plack in front of it.
I also need to change the material of the cushion, it feels towel-like.
Work in Progress.

I have done some work with the tassels and added my logo, I think its time to start working on the scene.

I have made the pillow a bit bigger, made the crown a bit thicker. Going to work on some tassels for the pillow a crest and maybe a better velvet plush material.

I have started working on a pillow for the crown, changed the top of it a bit and made it
a tiny bit thicker. Now the big question, should I have tassels on this pillow.

Been working on this crown for a while, I think its getting there.
Thoughts and feedback are welcome!

3 Likes

Figured I would add some renders with the model without any sub div on it.

1 Like

This looks nice I think overall the crown could be a bit thicker to make it look more sturdy and expensive. Maybe the presentation could improve to add a story to it. Put in on a fancy cushion or something similar, or maybe on a throne?

The first version I did of this was way thicker, I thought that it looked way to heavy for someone to wear.
But maybe there is a good middle ground. I cushion might do it! a throne might be an entire project in itself! :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNP6q6vDfts/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So have started working on a cushion, also changed the details of the top of the crown.
I also made it a tiny bit thicker let me know what you think @Regono.

I like it haha, I would scale up the cushion so there is no chance the crown will fall off. I think the background and lighting needs some work, the solid green is not appealing. Maybe light it with a more contrasted hdri, I find dark background work really well for shiny objects.

Having an appropriate scene really enhances an image. Look at these for insporation.

Crown-Jewels-London-display imagen

Yeah, I have not started on the scene itself, the backdrop is just for contrast mostly used for my clay renders, it is there to have a contrast. I am not in a place to start working on the lighting in a more “final” kind of way yet since I am not done with the modelling of my crown. But I do agree on the scale of the pillow is a bit small.

So worked on the crown a bit, its a little bit thicker now, made the pillow bigger might need to get a better material though. I am going to work on creating some tassels and maybe a crest on the pillow.
After that I will try and create a better scene and lighting for this. Work in Progress.

This is progressing very nicely. It’s looking better every render. How did you make the pillow? Is it a sculpt?

Nah, with cloth you can use pressure to inflate a simple shape in Blender, that way you get the basic shape with creases and stuff. Then I sculpt it a bit to make a little pocket for the crown.
There are a lot of tutorials about it like this one from Blender Guru:

But if you want to get the gist of it quicker check this one out:

So been working a bit with the tassels, did not expect this to be so tricky.
Might need to redo these. Work in Progress

Added my logo to the cushion of the crown. I think it’s time to start working on the surrounding scene.

Yeah it’s looking great. I can’t wait to see it in a scene.

So I have started working a bit on a scene. I am going to build some low poly things in the background I think for depth. Might take out the logo on the cushion and do a golden plack in front of it.
Also, the pillow might need some work, I feel it looks like a towel material. Work In Progress.

So I worked a bit on this, I need to fix some of the materials, but it feels almost done now.

1 Like

This is looking excellent! The changes you have made in this last edit have really pushed it into photorealism.

I am not happy with the cushion material and the gold fabric on the rope/tassels.

The rope looks better & tassels looks better, but I really need to figure out the material for the cushion.

Maybe @moony or @sizzler have any ideas? you helped me out with the Ruby material for the ring I did some time back.

I don’t have much experience making fabric type materials. Maybe have a look through these threads

1 Like

I did some combination with a little of a cc0 pbr material in there. It looks OK I think

1 Like