Open source anatomy: Who wants to develop it?

Hi,

This project:
https://www.z-anatomy.com/
is an open source 3D atlas of human anatomy within Blender.
It is meant to be used by healthcare professional and students that do not master Blender.

If some people have the time and will to:
-make an app out of it
-or create scripts to make a user-friendly interface within Blender
it can easily become an interesting solution for all the people working with the anatomy.

‘Centauri’ and ‘Ziel’ created a script that will allow to add labels that:
-beautifully resolves the light issue -they are now kept visible when isolating structures-
-keeps the labels facing the 3D viewport
-and link the children’s visibility to the one of their parent:
z_anatomy.py (6.6 KB)

I now wish to involve open-source-lovers python-coders who want to take part in the development of this learning tool.

The following steps needed are to show/hide the definitions when clicking on the corresponding button:
-Only the labels (objects whose name contains the chain ‘-label’) of the active object should be visible,
-The objects containing the chain ‘-button’ should move 3mm to the right in delta location when clicking on it, and m mm left when clicking a second time. This behavior has to be a loop.

I can only work on the content and explain what is needed, but do not code.
(Modellers and animators are welcome too, there are plenty of things to do)

Hence, the question is:
Who wants to develop this open source 3D atlas of anatomy?

5 Likes

please join hands with https://mblab.dev/ to make it a sustainable venture

Thank you for your answer.

It is worth a try, although there is quite a difference between both the public and the ambition of our respective projects.

It’s certainly valuable and interesting, but I’m wondering if it’s targeted at medical professionals or artists?

Also, I noticed that fat pads aren’t implemented, are there any plans for them in the future?

Lol, many things are missing, the complete lexicon of the anatomical structures has about 20 000 names. That is why there is plenty of room for other modelers.
Most of the structures will be displayed as labels with a definition hooked to a vertex of another object (example: the greater trochanter) because it does not make sense to grab only a part of a bone ot the tip of the tongue.

You are the second person who asks about the fat pads.
If you want to model some of them, they’ll be added for sure,
just try to keep it light-poly, and no textures for the moment.
I can share anatomical references, in case of need.

It is targeting anatomy researchers, professors and students.
Artists can use it too, obviously, but the originality is to hack a software meant for artist for a scientific/educational purpose.

1 Like

I was waiting for you to hop in

1 Like

There are many worse ways to dedicate your talent, I guess.

This might be a better fit as an Unreal or Godot project to make sure this tool will be available on different platforms including the web. While using Blender to make this is totally doable and has its own charm as an anatomy tool, I feel like it will just create friction for non-3d/Blender users if they want to utilize it. Plus Blender is not going to be on Mobile any time soon which makes distribution to be limited to the desktop platforms only.

Sure.
Unfortunately, I can not afford to pay for its development outside Blender, and do not have the skills to do even a part of it.

If some people are willing to create an app out of it, I would surely like to participate;
and if they prefer to do it on their own, please make sure to give the attributions and to respect the license, sharing the result under CC-BY-SA.

A short ‘license.txt’ file was contained in the ‘z-anatomy.zip’, I forgot it on the last update but will put it back tonight.

That is fair. I was not recommending that you would take it on your own. I just see Unreal or Godot path to be a more long term solution. Maybe this is something Epic might have interest in providing funding for. On the other hand, having an internal anatomy reference in Blender for sculpting and modeling would be definitely very beneficial.

It has already gone far enough to justify going on with the same principles in Blender.
Even to create a game afterwards, keeping it organized is helpful and not much more work.

The project is also meant to be built by many contributors, and Blender is the way to do it.

Fundings would be welcome -especially if they keep a place for me-, I would like to let the logic questions to others and dedicate myself entirely to anatomy and modeling.

2 Likes

I thought about making fat pads but I’m still researching them, not sure I’m qualified for them, however, you’re free to use Reom[Link below)] as a skin since it’s Lightweight and follows the anatomy

I support the idea of collaborating with MB-Lab since it can be done without contradiction and can be beneficial for both parties

And I’ll make an attempt at fat pads once I got something in hand

1 Like

Thank you for this brilliant idea.
I contacted the group and presented the atlas on the Discord tchat for REOM.
We’ll see.

@ComplexAce @kkar @hrijul_dey

File:
https://pasteall.org/blend/322d8202edf345a6aabc3c1063e9ed62

Hi dear Blender addicts,

Here is the armature that I will use to translate .bvh files into biomechanic-friendly movements.
It goes with the skeleton made by ‘BodyParts3D’ and shared in the blender anatomy atlas ‘z-anatomy’.

It has two modes, one to copy the .bvh, and the other to pose manually the armature (See Armature>Properties>Object>Custom property>Motion Capture)

There is one problem left:
The cervical vertebras are rolling around when the animation is running.
It seems linked with the parenting of ‘Cervical Bendy Bone’ to ‘Spine1’, but I did not find the solution.

If somebody could help me on this one, I would greatly appreciate.

I still have to add the system for the rib cage, but will do it on monday.

Cheers

2 Likes

ok we will look into it

https://pasteall.org/blend/7af5f7d329f44bd7adc108054f8d78b6
Here is a version with the ribcage.

I thought that I could fix the glitches ‘baking’/creating the copied animation into a new one, adapted to the biomechanic armature, but until now, when I try to save a pose or to insert a keyframe, it does not.

Edit:I just understood this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_Q1LwpJJU
Unfortunately, just renaming the bones and setting the action to the armature does not really transfer the animation properly.
When I try to transfer the action to my armature; the rotations seem locked:
https://pasteall.org/blend/decb4c60bcf247e7b7a9faa38af8dd8f

OK, nearly there:

There is only the spine to attach, with a fading of rotations between vertebras, while keeping the possibility to manipulate the armature manually. (without creating ‘glitches’ where all the thoracic bones get mixed up because impossible parenting/limit constraints)

https://pasteall.org/blend/d7d9a24efff9423793d1f0fa10050704