Osborne

Credit to Denis Stephane for the Osborne Vixen model, an early portable computer released in 1984. I retextured it using Materializer to help it fit within a retrofuturist context, but the original design itself was already so fitting for the genre. I couldn’t resist making a scene for it.

Props and environment are a combination of modelled elements, megascans, assets and AI generated imagery.

I sprinkled a few Tarot Frank Easter eggs throughout the piece, can you find them? :green_heart::yellow_heart:

100 Likes

Really nice work, the volumetric lighting especially is really something special :slight_smile:

Can you clarify which parts of this work were made in Blender?

Thanks Joseph. I faked the volume stuff around the lamp with a gradient → emission → volume node, that’s actually the only volumetric in the scene!! And sure, the final render, modeling + arranging of assets, texturing of objects, lighting were Blender. Aside from Photoshop to do touch-ups and grading I used Midjourney to generate imagery to use as additional textures like the graphics on the computer, the poster in the background, the images I used as textures for some of the background lights, and the various pictures by the desk. Hope that clarifies!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

An honor, thanks Bart! And thank you for what you do for the community :grinning: this is a great space for Blender.

1 Like

Very atmospheric.

1 Like

Ahh the memories. I can remember learning to program in BASIC on a similar machine. Probably in 1980.

1 Like

That’s very cool, thank you for sharing that. I believe this specific model came out in 1984, right before the Osborne Computer Corporation became defunct.

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this incredible artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist himself. It describes the step-by-step process of creating the artwork and provides insight into scene-designing in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

1 Like

nice volumetric, the quality is amazing, the details found and put in the scene, the model is amazing, and very creative! good work! :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats for the win. Really great work.

1 Like

I appreciate the generous words of support. I was really surprised, honestly.

1 Like

Very nice! - I still have a working model 1!

1 Like