Painted texture empty

I’ve painted 5 images in blender. Have not closed the program since I started, saving regularly, including ‘Image → Save’. Just noticed 1 of the 5 it completely transparent, nothing there. All other images are totally fine. What has happened, and is it gone for good?

What do you think… how should anybody know if you don’t show any screenshot? … version, OS, saved in what format, viewed in what program… anything ??

I’m unsure what help a screenshot would be. Screenshot of what? Blender 2.92, Windows 7, saved internally, and viewed in no other program. Just vanished. Going to always save externally now since it’s so ridiculously unreliable. Nothing but problems and crashes since 2.8 onward.

Of course of your workspace/settings in blender… but i see you don’t want help… but just complain… this is so bad that’s why nobody is using it … whatever…

No I can just guarantee it won’t help, since 4 other images treated exactly the same have remained as painted. The image has 2 users but frankly none of this matters because the program was never closed. By all means - prove me wrong:

I have no idea what this is about or how it related to this post. Why are we talking about nobody using it?

Yes in general I do complain about the increased instability, decreased reliability and loss of capabilities which have come with blender 2.8 and beyond. Are you suggesting no one should complain, or that it is wrong to complain and these are actually good things? I should be rejoicing when I find that work has been deleted with no method of recovery?

Regardless, claiming that in future I will save externally if data is going to otherwise be lost does seems like a rather odd conclusion for you to take issue with. (And by externally, I mean as a separate file Blender has no awareness of).

You was talking about painting and now you are showing the UV-editor and something about your skin material…

:question:
:person_shrugging:

But of course you are free to go back to 2.79…

When I open the UV editor and select my image, ‘y1’, should the image not be visible?

Was it transparent before painting? As in did it revert to original state or was it replaced with something new? :thinking:

Yeah, it was created as entirely transparent. I created 5 in total, painting each one then creating a new one. This was the second one. I left blender minimized for a while, ~6 hours, and when I returned to blender this one had reverted to entirely transparent. I’ve checked all the other images in the blend and they are as expected.

It would seem I am not alone:

Two people make similar claims:

Looks like you didn’t save your texture regularly while painting, so all your strokes were on ram, which was needed when you started doing something else.

Yeah, Blender doesn’t really save texture changes until you tell it to-- it keeps it in volatile memory, and eventually, it decides it doesn’t need that memory anymore. It’s dumb, it’s annoying, it probably qualifies as a bug but I’ve never reported it.

Obviously can’t confirm that’s what is actually happening but it fits. I wouldn’t expect an image to be wiped even if it was unsaved, provided the program remained open the entire time.

You have to save them internally pretty regularly or Blender might “forget”.
If you didn’t do that then it’s actually an expected outcome :person_shrugging:

Sad, but at least manageable. I usually don’t even leave the Paint mode without clicking “Save All”.
I’m sure devs will figure it out when they get to upgrade paint mode eventually as it’s a common issue.

But if you did save, then this might be something else…

1 Like

So your image in blender isn’t any more… but you regularly saved images is… also transparent now ???
(You also now that a generate image can be discarded and will be replaced by the original generator? )

This is the most likely culprit - that, in the process of creating a new image, you overrode the data block for an existing one