Particles for texture placement

Can you use particles or geometry node particles to generate texture placement in a shader?
So in other words, the particle defines where a textures is placed in the shader. Either as a separate object or a geometry node modifier?

Hmmm :thinking: … you may have a look at the Dynamic Paint Modifier … ??

1 Like

Yeah, but that doesn’t work with geometry nodes, which is needed to place the particles.
Also I want to avoid texture baking.
But thanks!

Hi there,

How about something like this? It may help somewhat :blush:

Cheers!

1 Like

How about Signed Distance Fields - SDF’s…
I am watching a new Bad Normals Tutorial on YT - Morph anything into anything. The start, where he is explaining the concept reminded me of your question. When you see those concentric circles…
What he has plugged into the viewer node instead gets plugged into the GN output to be used as an attribute in the shader…
I shall certainly be trying this myself… Need to study this SDF concept more.

Thats part of the problem, getting thing in and out of geometry nodes, If seems limited.
In theory you can take any object as the center position of a texture, So, you can project multiple textures. But, it seems not to work with particles

You are right. Not with particles. But you can use GeoNodes to scatter points.

Points are particles. It would be cool to have an position output for them. Wasn’t there a way to use them to paint dots?

Ahem…
You mean the Dynamic Paint that Okidoki mentioned in the first answer???

Perhaps more info would help…
Must it be particles or are you looking for anything that will give a random pattern - so a material would work?
I am not a GeoNode guru - yet. But perhaps you want Geometry proximity or Sample Nearest Surface to be creating your paint mask

Hi thanks.

Well its basically quite simple. I have points that are generated in geometry node and I want them to affect shading in the same object. So basically output the point position and use it for the position of a texture placement.
Textures either need UVs, which wouldn’t be possible that way, or they can be projected by objects. So you could take an object position to do so. I that could be done by particles e.g. points it would be awesome.
There are some attempts, mostly using vertex colors for that, but the only output color, not position.