Petition to add the Merge modifier to Blender

Hey guys, please, sign this petition to add the Merge modifier to Blender.

Don’t forget to validate it by mail.

I know there are several posts on RCS, but even with that, nothing append.
So, I’m trying something else.

Thx for your support :wink:

20 Likes

I’d love to sign the petition, but I’ve left Facebook more than a year ago.

Did you also post a topic about this at the Blender Developer Talk forum? I’ve noticed that several Blender developers tend to read those topics.

Also, Blender Chat has channels where multiple developers are frequently present, such as the UI channel.

Finally, you can reach a lot of Blender Developers via Twitter.

Good luck, I hope you succeed!

1 Like

It says ‘OR’ right under that, where it lets you sign up by email!

2 Likes

I did all that but nothing works.
No need fb indeed

1 Like

That would indeed make a lot of sense!

I have some shallow memories about reading that no major changes are planned for the modifier stack as they are going to be converted to nodes and with it, they will be rethought and likely be split into more basic functionality. Unfortunately, I can’t find that source. If anyone has it please let me know or correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the plan, they would already have it on their roadmap, but in a slightly different way.

3 Likes

Everything nodes is far from now, the merge modifier can be done in several hours by a dev since the code already exist and there is already a patch.

3 Likes

LOL. Why are they refusing to add such basic feature?

1 Like

Nope, this is a choice.

They are doing stuff with modifiers https://developer.blender.org/D5766 so why not?

Maybe they don’t see too much value in it? :thinking:

@pitiwazou instead of a petition why not raising funds for paying a dev to do that ?

2 Likes

Seems a bit odd that a feature that is working fine and is useful can’t be accepted. Hope the devs change their minds. :slight_smile:

If people don’t want to sign a petition, you think they will want to give money?
Also, a patch is already available, they just have to validate it, you want to pay them for that?

1 Like

Signed! I hope this gets added to blender as a standard feature!

1 Like

Where is it?

Link on the petition…

I understand that it looks like a reasonable assumption. But there is always more to it.

If you know that there are going to be major changes, you always try to only make absolutely unavoidable ones. The more things you add and modify, the more likely it becomes that you are going to have additional, avoidable work in the future.

When a programmer is now assigned to do it, that person first needs to get used to this area again, make sure they are not missing anything. In the case there is even a small issue, the few hours become easily a day or two. Every new feature always has the risk of introducing bugs which can increase the time investment even more. This is very inefficient from a planning point of view, if it is clear that this area is going to be worked on in the foreseeable future anyways.
Everytime a programmer has a look at the code, it takes time getting used to it and this in turn takes them out of another topic.

You may certainly argue that it doesn’t matter for just this feature, but there are for sure several features which could quite easily be integrated and you would likely find a group of people who support you with that idea.

Let’s face it, at the end of the day the Blender Foundation has to ignore it or even if it was planned, they would likely need to delay it. It is not a healthy way to work based on how loud the community is. We would have a petition that no features are added and all programmers have to focus on viewport and undo performance.
Making suggestions works, increasing the pressure and trying to micromanage in this way is not desirable in my opinion.

3 Likes

Are you serious?

They add a lot of new feature to blender every day.
I saw a patch for the solidify today.

When it’s not the devs who block the suggestions, it’s the community.
How can we move forward in this situation?

2 Likes

I am not involved in the development of Blender. I described my experience as programmer.

It is well known that the communication between the developers and the community is difficult. In my opinion it has become a lot better and there is now a lot more openness and transparency from the developers. There is the devtalk forum and the programmers seem to have a look at rightclickselect too. And there is also Pablo who reports about development updates every Monday and answers questions. There is clearly quite some effort from them to improve the situation.
Starting a petition and trying to scream louder than what already happens on rightclickselect is not a respectful approach from my point of view and it will definitely not increase the openness and transparency of the developers.

Contrary to many other subjects, this one is likely on their radar. That’s already better than many others. If they decide to spend time on it to review and maintain it, that would be great. If they decide against it for now, it would also be reasonable in my opinion. Accepting patches is always a long term commitment and it can not be taken lightly.

Dude, you’re making a mountain over a mole hill. It’s literally already a fork, it just needs to be tested and merged in. Maintaining a basic merge modifier is hardly an issue.

1 Like