Photographer - Camera Exposure, White Balance, Autofocus, Physical Lights, Bokeh, Render Queue

Hi @chafouin,

The addon is great! Some request/question:

Is it possible to avoid that vigneting and bokeh affect the transparency of the alpha channel?
One thing, I notice is that the vignetting makes everything slow.

Cheers,
Pato.

Good call, I’ll look into it.

Well, it is an expensive effect… Not much that can be done about that.

Hey @chafouin, been following Photographer’s development for a while now and have been consistently impressed by your attention to detail with new features, the thoughtfulness of UI/UX decisions, and the support you offer here! :slight_smile:

Excited to upgrade to Photographer 4, just wondering if there are any updates as to when it will be available on BlenderMarket?

Hopefully this week!

3 Likes

A lot of new stuff is coming in version 4.1, but I just wanted to share some amazing news :smiley:
While the bokeh texture won’t work, the optical vignetting does work with the new EEVEE DOF (and a lot of samples). Amazing work by @hypersomniac !
One is Cycles, one is EEVEE, will you find which one?

13 Likes

Cycles at the top?

Wrong! :wink: Eevee top, Cycles below. It does require a lot of samples! But that’s still faster than Cycles by a long stretch.

1 Like

While wating for the upgrade to be in BlenderMarket, I’m using v 3.7 and I noticed something really annoying.

Not sure if is a bug or a Blender “feature” but when I’m looking through a camera and start Walk Navigation, the camera follows that walking navigation and for me is fine if I decide to enable it but not being enable always.
Would it be possible to have an option to lock or not the active camera while walk navigation?

Hope it makes sense :smiley:

It’s Blender’s behavior, you have to get out of the camera before starting to walk.
No real solution, unless you are ready to use a button in the Photographer UI or remap the default Walk Navigation to a new Photographer Walk Navigation… I don’t like duplicating Blender functions though :confused:

1 Like

No need to duplicate and make the addon convulted because of that, just need muscle memory to remember to get out from the camera before walking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to it!

Just updated my add on the latest version, great stuff!

Would you be able to add the alexa mini lf and anamorphic lenses?

There are already Alexa LF presets (for Camera and Resolution, click on the 3-bars icon on the right of the panel name) and a Cooke Anamorphic 50mm for lenses :slight_smile:

Any other lens you would be looking for? Keep in mind that these presets only apply the number of blades, anamorphic ratio and focal length.

@chafouin

I just want to chime in here and say I’ve been using version 4 for a couple of days now, and it has been such a game changer for me personal. I was always rubbish when doing interior archviz renders but with the new light mixing features I not hindered by the mindless slow process of lighting, being able to solo light , mixing, switching between different light units(lumen,candela,etc) has made lighting FUN, whereas before it was a PITA. I’m generally more geared toward product shots so any future features make that easier would be most welcome :wink:

Right now I have to manually add a softbox HDRI to a Area Light via the shader editor, if that can be done with a simple couple of clicks within the GUI of the addon, that would make things go quicker.

PS. you’re addon is priced too low for what it offers.

edit: When Soloing a area light, my mesh lights(mesh with emission) still won’t turn off, would it be possible to turn them off during soloing a normal light ?

1 Like

I am working on something similar for Emissive materials. I will have a look about adding it to lights.

Yes, coming in the next version 4.1 with the Emissive Mixer :slight_smile:

Haha, you are probably right :smiley: I just know that a lot of Blender users are hobbyists who don’t make money with Blender, and I prefer to keep it affordable for them. Professionals who make decent amounts can always decide to pay a higher price on Gumroad :wink:

9 Likes

It seems to be impossible to apply a HDRI image to a Area light? The mapping is all wrong(I just noticed that recently)

But seems to work with a polygon with emission with a proper shader setup:

edit: updated mesh light setup, lets light pass thru the polygon from the back - I have a sun light along with the emission polygon light:

I can’t remember if it’s supposed to be mapped to reflection or what, but I think there’s a way to get it working on an area light. What I think you won’t get is the light visible to camera.

Edit: In the following example I used camera in the textures coordinates (maybe there’s a better way to do it) — I also duplicated the area light as I haven’t found a way in Blender to have bidirecational lights

I tried camera it does not work correct. but this setup seems to be correct:

it doesn’t adjust the aspect ratio of the area light to match the HDRI though. Guess we can’t have it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds like using an emissive plane would be better in that case? If your surface is large enough, sampling an emissive surface shouldn’t be much slower than sampling an area light. If it’s small however…

@chafouin Normalize by Color Luminance is not working in 3.7.1

I started with 1000 W in default blender power:

Then switch to Lumen, and change the color:

Now if I switch back to Power, it should have changed the power number, but: