Photographer - Camera Exposure, White Balance, Autofocus, Physical Lights, Bokeh, Render Queue

Wow yes, in combination with some other addons it’s a paradise in 2.8.
You’re featured on blender-addons.org !
Thanks.

1 Like

Post process materials support should be added directly as EEVEE compositing nodes in my opinion. I am not aware of the future plans but maybe @hypersomniac could give us some information. This is probably not a trivial addition :slight_smile:

In my mind, add-ons like Photographer would only help by providing presets of effects, like ones you can find on the Unreal market for instance. I also have a lot of experience with optical camera phenomena reproduction in realtime engines, this has been my job / specialization for the past 10+ years ^^

About GitHub… I have thought about it, but I first wrote this add-on for myself, as a way to learn Blender API and to fill a gap that existed in my lighting workflow. The code is dirty as hell and would require a big clean-up first, for anyone to have a look at it. This is no small task, it would take quite some time and I would also need guidance from good coders to teach me what is the correct way to do things.

Unfortunately, right now, I need to focus on other projects, the ones that can pay the bills :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always hard to pick between making cool new features to make people enjoy the add-on, and spending time to clean the code with no added value for the users.

1 Like

Thanks @anon72338821 ! Which other add-ons would you recommend to use with Photographer?

I suppose most of us use the photographer in a particular stage. That could be somewhere a moment after modeling, shading, animation and texturing. So quite in a later stage.

A stage were we setup the camera, the lighting, the render settings and prepare compositing nodes. In that stage I can turn off most addons and use for example the following addons:

• Photographer,
  • Cameras lister (That was to select camera’s, add markers, etc.)
  • EV Express (Quick render settings, backdrops, lighting, color management, compositing nodes).

I think that is it. Then you have everything for that “After-modeling” stage.
Quite complete and convenient and just a few addons.

Sure you are right. Conpositiong Nodes would be the rightest place for customisation of post process effects.

But bloom and dof are located in eevee settings for now too.
Realtime Lens Flares and Glares are mostly modifications of the bloom post effect already there.

However. Photographer delivers some nice real world logical parameters to develop them more physical based.

We should ask Mr. Foucault were to start.

I looked into eevee source code to extend bloom. But i am little lost.

In my vision, all of this realtime post-pro effects that simulate lens phenomena would fit very well in a camera nodetree, as a “camera shader”. Also for Cycles.
That would also clear some postprocessing work in case the need is just some fancy optical effects and no real layer compositing

1 Like

@chafouin
Do you know, is it possible for color picker to “work” on selection area (‘sample average’ in GIMP)?

It’s definitely possible, I’ve been willing to do at least an average of 5*5 pixels in the future. Do you think that would be enough or you want to be able to select a zone manually?

That’s great!
Selecting a zone is an “all suiting” solution, but after a while of tinkering and working i settled for 3 presets: 5,10 & 25 (those i use most often in GIMP, depending on noise). So, Yes, i believe presets would be enough.

Hi, Thanks for this cool addon, I was just wondering if it was possible to render the Master Camera animation ?

Yes. there is a future project about realtime compositor in the viewport. I’ll be working on later this year.

9 Likes

I haven’t tested it but you should be able to activate auto key for the master camera location. If you need to animate all the other camera settings, I will have to add that in the add-on.

Hope you will consider to add it as a “camera shader” as i wrote earlier in this thread. This would bring all the bells & whistles in a single place (node editor) and take away a whole bunch of knobs and options from the render panel, which I think it would be nice for UI simplification and reorganization.
And I hope that also Cycles can take advantage of this realtime postpro stuff

1 Like

It would be great to simulate different types of bokeh - swirly, bubble or vintage lens… :slight_smile: Excellent addon!

Great but it seems to have a bug when adding multiple cameras. The addon forces to apply the Custom resolution to all cameras. Can you add a plus button to add multiple resolution setups?

Thanks in advance.

I can’t reproduce the issue, can you provide more information?

If your camera doesn’t have the custom Resolution override in the Photographer properties, I can’t really know what resolution should be used, so it will default to the resolution that is in the Render Output Settings, which will be the one from the previous camera you were looking through if that one had a Resolution override.

You need all your cameras to have the Resolution override if you want to use different resolutions.

Nice. After several years i finally got most of the yebis glares and flares working. They are ready when you could provide an easier access. Meanwhile i try to find your bloom implementation.)

Wish you an fast access for the Vulcan swizzle.
When finally additional some RT reflections arrive in EEVEE i buy you a beer. Did some test in the Unity DXR experimental and they add the most value to an rasterized scene by an moderate framedrop.

In case you did not now you can download from github and there is an office scene integrated. You can additionally enable RT Shadows, RT AO, RT Reflections. They simpy replace VSM, AO, and SSR. Nice experience to mix around with lots of frame drop.

Also phyton access of irradiance probes would be cool.
Allowing export and modding would be fun.
From my side IBl , Reflection Probes and Irradiance Probes should go to glTF export, too. Could influence quite some stuff.

I met Ton and team some years before at Siggraph and we went for some beers.I told him he really needs to have a look on your PBR branch. Amazing what you did out of it.

BTW.
There is a nice Floating Window addon for Blender.
You could cutout the EEVEE 3D view and overlay the Unity or Unreal 3d view on an second monitor and make some show.
Enable Photographer AutoDOF.
Bats PBR painting.
I tried it with some Colleagues and Unity and Unreal employees.)
They did not know the edit and pbr paint mode and such HQ SSR.
It s quite some fun.

Cheers.

Hi, I’ve downloaded photographer… I’m new to Blender - Installed the add-on - It shows up when I select a camera, however I’m not getting the ‘master camera’ or camera ‘list’?? I’d like a link to the latest version - Please advise as I really like to use this awesome add-on!

Hi!

• Are you using Blender 2.8? Master Camera isn’t present in 2.79
  • Did you check in the View panel of the 3D view toolbar (N shortcut)?

Let me know if this helps! I will triple-check that the version on Gumroad is the latest one in the meantime.

Hi Chafouin,

I’m using the latest version of Blender 2.80 I checked in the view tab in 3D view toolbar (N Shortcut) Photographer is available in the properties panel. Please advise,

Thanks,

Clive.