Photographer - Camera Exposure, White Balance, Autofocus, Physical Lights, Bokeh, Render Queue

Can you check in the Console (Window > Toggle System Console) if you can find any error related to Photographer in there?

When you say latest, you mean the official 2.80 version? Or the 2.81 experimental build?
I have tested both with a clean install and can’t reproduce the issue unfortunately.

Please send me screenshots of your Blender viewport and where the panel should be in private message.

Hi Chafouin, Please let me have an e-mail address to send screen-grab to. I tried replying to your e-mail but server is bouncing it. tsk

Hi everyone!

I just released an update of the Photographer Add-on, here is the changelog for version 2.2.0:

• Now that Blender 2.8 is clearly explicit about the lamp units being Radiant power in Watts, I adjusted the default exposure value to make sure exposure is physically correct.
    WARNING: This means that old scenes that were using previous versions of Photographer will look darker by 1.61 EV.

• New Exposure Compensation slider, similar to real cameras. This can help to adjust for the 1.61 EV difference.

• Compatible with LuxCore. You can now easily switch between Cycles and LuxCore using Photographer and physically based light intensities.
    NOTE: – LuxCore uses Watts in combination with Luminous Efficacy. Use an Efficacy of 683 Lumens/W to match Cycles light intensities.
    – Point lights will match perfectly between the two render engines, but Area lights and Spotlights will unfortunately render slightly differently.
    – HDRIs in LuxCore require a gain of 250 to match Cycles HDRIs with a strengh of 1.
    – Photographer doesn’t use LuxCore ImagePipeline Tonemapper and relies on Blender’s exposure the same way it works with Cycles, for ease of use. It will force LuxCore Tonemapper to do nothing by using its default exposure settings. Do not be alarmed if the LuxCore Tonemapper doesn’t reflect Photographer Exposure settings.

• White Balance picker now samples a square of 9*9 pixel for more accurate reading on noisy renders.

• Small fix to disable the Aperture setting if “Affects Depth of Field” isn’t checked in EV mode.

Please report any issue you may find! I apologize for the exposure inaccuracy that was present in previous versions.

For artists who are unsure what values to use for your lights when using Photographer, here are some guidelines:

• Sun: with a clear sky, a sun at its zenith would have an intensity of 441 (Johnson Martin explains it nicely here: https://blendergrid.com/news/cycles-physically-correct-brightness). Keep in mind that thin haze, pollution and sun angle can affect this value, so it is not uncommon to have to use a lower value for you sun, like 100 or 200.

• Sky intensity: from 10 to 30, depending on cloud coverage and sun angle.

• Light bulb: 2-3 Watts. Spotlights in Cycles tend to render darker than Point and Area lights and will require brighter intensities.

Have fun!

10 Likes

Small update 2.2.1:

• Fixed LuxCore Depth of Field F-Stop issue.
  • Fixed restoring previous selection when creating AF-Tracker.

Hi, is it possible to donate after download and test your addon?
I don´t want donate to little if I like it.

Cheers, mib

Yes, you can “Purchase again” on Gumroad if you go to the product page (https://gumroad.com/l/FWQf) instead of your library.

with gumroad, how can I download the latest without registering?
If I follow your gumroad link and I put the email address it said me that they already sent an email (Yesterday I’ve download your addon and I’ve actually received their email but I’ve deleted after so now I havent’ got anymore).

I am not sure, I think registering is the best way to use Gumroad… An account has probably been created automatically with your e-mail address, whether you wanted it or not. You just need to login and pick a password to access your Library page. Their UX is pretty bad, I got lost a few times as well.

If you don’t want to register, I can send it to you by in a private message later today.

I’ll try as you suggested. I’d like to avoid another register but I don’t want to make you mad and send me every update…so I’ll do by myself.
thank you for your support.

I’ve just installed the latest 2.80 blender and installed 2.8 from gumroad. I was having an issue where the addon was not displayed in the addons list. I noticed that in 2.79 the file was named photographer.py and in 2.8 it is the default __init.py__. I renamed it to photographer.py in my addon folder and now it seems to be working.

You have to copy the Photographer folder into your add-ons folder, not just the init.py.
You can also simply remove and install add-ons from Blender User Preferences windows.

This is what I did but I think my mistake is that I unzipped the file to begin with.

1 Like

Hi,
it looks like resolution override doesn’t work. I’ve made simple setup, 2 cameras - first: 1920x1080 landscape, second: 1280x720 portrait. Override checkbox is checked. When I change active camera nothing happens, neither resolution nor orientation change. Please, have a look on this gif:
PhotographerBug
I’m using stable Blender 2.80 and Photographer 2.2.1
System console doesn’t show any error

1 Like

Thanks for the report, it’s very clear and well written. I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue unfortunately… Making it the active camera properly changes the resolution for me.
Is there anything special in that scene other than a cube a two cameras?

I have a feature suggestion. Would it be possible to have a copy of the Color Management settings attached to each camera? Something of an override, similar to how you have Exposure set up?

One reason for this is ease of use. For example, I often am checking my exposure using False Color View Transform. In order to do that I have to hop back and forth between the Camera and the Render settings tabs. Having it attached to the camera itself will save users even more time. Of course the other obvious benefits are that each camera can have custom Look or Curve settings. :slight_smile:

I tend to be against having settings duplicated in too many locations to avoid confusion for new users, but to be fair, this annoys me as well when I have to change panels all the time. So I’ll consider it for a future version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
another finding is that when I have “Exposure” checkbox set then resolution is updated.
Nothing special in the scene - freshly started Blender.
Thanks!

1 Like

Very useful information, I found the issue and fixed it.

2.2.2:

• Fixed settings that wouldn’t update if Exposure controls was turned off @yodus
  • Added False Color checkbox in Exposure to validate your exposure @vfxninjaeditor
5 Likes

Hi man. Every time I switch using the make active camera button the F-stop gets reset. How do you prevent that value from resetting to 0.03? I think is the only value that resets.

Another addon that completely flew beneath my radar!.. was completely unaware of its existence… I think I have to get a better radar! So does Photographer play nice with E-Cycles?