Physics objects colliding too far from surface

hey all, I have this tube with a cloth modifier on it, all collision distances are set to the lowest possible option, all scales are applied, cloth and collision modifiers are both second after the armature, is there a way to make the cloth sim collide closer to the body?

the cloth sim object drives a mesh deform modifier on this chain, the goal is to have the chain lie neatly on the collision mesh.

or is there a better way of doing all of this in general? like, I need this chain to be dynamic and part of the rig, I’ve tried the hook curve thing but that just doesn’t work at all, I’ve tried bones but you need so many for the overall rig and the physics end up being just as if not more wonky.

If there is no specific reason to use cloth, try the method of video

1 Like

Scale everything up by ten and then try it

1 Like

ok this seems to work alright, scaling everything broke some other things but it’s fixable in this scene, though for other projects, is there a way to just tell blender to treat an object as if it’s scale is 10x while interacting with the rest of the scene at 1x (for shaders, lighting, rigging, other sims, etc)?

So, simulation in Blender has some issues, the main one is that you have to work at a very large scale. However, you can scale up, bake your simulation, then scale back down. It’s not ideal, but it works

1 Like

Also look at the content of the link

1 Like