Piranha4D's Learning and Practice 2022

2022-06-22 Isometric Bedroom

The next episode of Karim Joseph’s Curve Encyclopedia is about using curves for particle systems and I decided to wait with that.

Instead I finally did what I had been eager to try: make one of those little isometric dioramas.

I followed this tutorial by Left Brain CGArt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3hI38dAaI0

It’s a good tutorial, though it is considerably faster than Grant’s are. But I was fine with this at that point. He speaks clearly, has thought through the process, doesn’t ramble, displays screen cast keys, has subtitles, and keeps a small copy of what he is modeling on-screen. That’s as good as it gets. It’s too bad he has only a couple of other tutorials.

I don’t have many notes, because I didn’t have many difficulties and none of this was new; this was all stuff I had already done in one or another form. It was relaxing to feel basically in control and rarely confused.

One issue I had right at the start, when making the floor boards at 2:51 he says to make loopcuts until you have 7 segments, but he means 7 loopcuts, which makes 8 segments of the floorplane. If one does as I did and just listens while doing, one ends up with a floor that goes beyond the right wall. It didn’t hurt me to have to do it over, twice even (practice is good), but it was a bit confusing depending on how one interprets “segments”.

That method to make the floor boards is something to remember; it’s really neat.

I made lots of small changes just because I could – different bed frame, created the blanket and pillows differently, used radial arrays for the night stand legs, made the baseboard with a curve extracted from the wall and a profile curve, ditto for the ceiling moulding (ah, those curve lessons paid off right away), gave the floor a procedural wood-like texture, made a different window…

I’m pretty happy with how this came out.

Music: East Asian folk fusion that I found through @Rigoletto in the long-running thread What are you listening to? – I quite like it.

7 Likes