Pixar RenderMan for Blender!

Hi, am sort of a quiet/ghost member of Renderman. For now more an observer and tester.
It is a great engine, in top row when it comes to simulating light with a great control. Very technical and with lot’s of specifics, details which one should know. Hard to start with, yet pleasure to play when one gets acquainted with. Almost blender like. :slight_smile: And it shows maturity as a gentleman. Wise, accompanied by an amazingly open philosophy. Community is small and great, the way i like it.
Slowly, like walking the long path, in a steady pace, over the wide planes of steppe. As i get more confident, will walk further, faster, on and on… until i’ll be running and flying with hope to hand it over - on to kids.
This one has the force in it :smiley:

Thank you pitiwazou, for your amazing effort.

I made some heavy tests with scenes from Maya, and some of these took hours to render noise free in rman, but they usually looked better, and both are very easy to use, its a bag of mis feelings for me!

Glass and hair are amazing in rman, also I find that very heavy and detailed mesh render more accurately in it then with Cycles!

If you use the denoiser in PRMan then it is quite a bit faster than Cycles to get a noise free image. There were some problems with artifacts at first but those were fixed a few weeks ago and now it works great.

Like we said earlier in this thread, Renderman should not be compet with Cycles, I use both and for different usages.

We should use renderman to help the dev to make a really great version for blender users, repport bugs, give ideas etc.
If we have this renderer correctly integrated inside Blender, it’s good for everyone.

People can use cycles, renderman depending of what they do and having both good render engine is really good.

Don’t forget it’s pixar tech, the engine cam make true displacement, vector displacement, UDIM texture, denoiser, very good SSS (Cycles use this SSS now) etc etc.
The 21 will be here soon, so it will be even better, so we should use it.

I really don’t want the dev drop the blender version because there no one posting on the forum, repporting bugs etc.
For the repport of bugs, you add your repport, it’s fixed in less than 24h, nice !

I agree, a very good render engine, very slick and easy to use, and the Blender integration is pretty good, only bug I have found is when I try to convert a Cycles material to a RMan material, it makes Blender crash, I need to delete the material, then create a new one, no biggie really, and it’s actually the way it should be done in my opinion, but sometimes I forget.

I find that the denoiser looses details when I use it, maybe I use it the bad way?

I get the same, so that´s my issue then, I´m too experimental :slight_smile:

(Biased opinion of someone who works on the addon here)

Cycles is an awesome renderer and probably exactly what 90% of Blender users need especially with being built in to Blender. And I think you can compare it with Cycles in that both are path tracing renderers. However I think if you’re doing professional VFX and animation RenderMan has a ton to offer. Basically RenderMan is a more heavyweight renderer but might not be worth it if you just want to render a Cornell Box. Plus if you’re looking to learn a new renderer that is used in production at larger studios having it available on Blender is great. There’s also the point that you get to play with cool features developed at Disney/Pixar like the denoiser and actual Pixar shaders like the Marschner Hair shader in RenderMan 20 (and more coming in 21). Anyway that was the idea with making a Blender addon, didn’t want to make a comparison to Cycles, just give people an opportunity to see the cool features in RenderMan.

Keep in mind everyone who works on the code generally does it in their spare time, but we all try to stay on top of issues, and work to make it better.

I tried another e-mail but still the same story, I tried turning off my firewall as well it see if that would help but still nothing

I only manage a few renders (a test with one of my unfinished characters) then a restart of my computer and it can’t find or access my license…

Maybe one day when I am bored I will try and make my pc dual boot and try it from some version of Linux something but my windows installation makes this a no go for me. Pity because I am kind of getting into animation this year and it would have been nice to have a render engine that doesn’t keel over when you throw motion blur, sss or hair at it.

Oh, I´m definitely going to give Renderman a try, lot of cool stuff going on, and can´t wait to play around with it. Just need to install the official release of Blender to get going :stuck_out_tongue: Python changes causing issues again, but that´s Blender´s fault :wink: Pixar is an inspiring company, giving back a lot to the community and we really appreciate the effort :slight_smile:

^ in reference to python import dll error

Hmmm are you building blender from source? I tried this locally with python3.5 and seems to work fine to import prman. Also with latest buildbot builds on OSX.

Bsavery,

You are correct, the latest build of blender from the buildbot from today works OK (Thu 4 Februari 2016 / Blender-2.76-50a19cc-win64.zip).

The import of prman works again.

Hmm. I tried the same build as grayscale, and I get this when trying to activate the addon:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\User\Desktop\Blender 2015-12-16\2.76\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 330, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\PRMan-for-Blender-master_init_.py”, line 38, in <module>
from . import engine
File “C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\PRMan-for-Blender-master\engine.py”, line 70, in <module>
import prman
File “C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-20.2\bin\prman.py”, line 77, in <module>
import prman_for_python_3 as prman_for_python
ImportError: DLL load failed: No se puede encontrar el módulo especificado.

Did try with latest official Blender release, and it works just fine, no load error. Speculating, but, could it be a conflict with another addon?I did notice 2.75 warned about certain addons not found.

No, the issue is loading a python dll included with Prman (not the addon). It would be an issue with the version of python perhaps in the latest builds, but seems to be fine on osx. I’ll test on windows.

By the way, any news for v21 release date ? :slight_smile:

The render is very slow. Anyone where to download Pixar Image Tools. I can only choose display tiff or openEXR.
I am using this plugin https://github.com/bsavery/PRMan-for-Blender/

Really, the rendering is too slow. Maybe there is a settings mistake somewhere. Any hint about this?

Actually it’s pretty fast for me. especially with the denoiser.

When you install the RenderManNC-Installer, you have to check the box “Show All”
And then check “RenderMan Studio 20.6 for Maya 2016”

=> Now you have IT installed and yeah it’s much more stable with it (little play of word ^^)
DisplayDriver => IT

Seb

What is your PC, it’s pretty fast for me too even if it’s in CPU.

Don’t forget it’s a CPU renderer, you will not be as fast as cycles, but on big render, the timing will be better than cycles, except if you have 4 TitanX ^^

The new version will have little boost with the “Blender” mode in the DisplayDriver ^^

And Maybe the render in the ********, what ? ^^

I am using GPU and fast CPU also I was used to cycles. But the result with Renderman was very good.
Have not seen a checkbox SHOW ALL I will reinstall

Renderman is only CPU.