Pixar RenderMan for Blender!

Only CPU is fine.
I can start Image Tools (it) outside blender.
But it is not starting when I choose display - it.
How to connect Image Tools within blender.

Normaly you ahve nothing to do.
Have you installed the renderman engine ?

You have to install it and the renderman addon for blender.

Yes I did installed the renderman engine with the maya 2016 option enabled.
I also did a new renderman blender addon install.
Renderman is working but Image Tools (it) cannot be found.

Really strange… huum, did you install RenderManNC-Installer to the defaut directory ?
If not, I advise you to do so :slight_smile:

Got it work did a new install. Bxfd: PxrDisney made the render slow.

I’ve been playing around with Renderman for about 2 weeks. I’m enjoying it a lot. Really hope support continues for Blender integration.

I really like the emission area light option something I miss with cycles.

I am happier than a pig in mud, I finally have a stable install of renderman gping. I gave up on trying to get this to run on Windows seeing that I had a 3TB HDD I decided to dual boot and got Ubuntu installed I followed some online tuts and got it running:D.

It would be really good if there was a renderman test thread going like the the dynamic topology one I think it would help in getting more Blender heads interested in using renderman.

I started to play around a bit with this engine and well… needless to say it looks really cool (guess there is a reason why it is/was one of the industry standards when it comes to high level productions.

I have a question: is it possible to mix to bxdfs inside the same material? I mean like mixing a diffuse and a glossy in cycles with the mix node, and then using a texture to drive the mix.

I found a PxrMMixer node which looks like a layered material kind of node, but I cannot see any option to tune the mix with a texture. Then there is the PxrMix node, but looks more for colors or other functions, but not for bxdfs… any idea?

Thanks!

You can’t mix bxdf’s directly in Renderman as it has a slightly different operating philosophy than Cycles. In Cycles they give you the raw building blocks to a shader and expect you to put them together. In Renderman they give you complete shaders and allow you to tweak parameters with a greyscale map. This is still pretty powerful though. For instance the Disney bxdf can create a plastic look and then by moving one slider (Metallic) it becomes a metal. So using a greyscale map and attaching it to that slider allows you to control it’s distribution.

Nice thing about this approach is you get correct fresnel behavior in Renderman, which is still a sore point for Cycles.

thanks for the answer… so how would you approach eye shader for example, where I have to mix SSS and glass on the same mesh?

By assigning different materials to faces, also this scenario of layering/mixing bxdfs will be handled a bit better in RenderMan 21.

well that’s not exactly the same, as in this way I cannot have a smooth transition. But if this is the only way for now, it will have to do! :slight_smile: Thanks for your help!

If you need to mix materials you have to use LM materials. Check renderman docs, and maybe check the video tutorials on the RenderMan community (even if they are for Maya, it’s not that hard to translate it to RenderMan for Blender).

I uploaded this scene I putted together while testing RenderMan’s shading system. There you can grasp some simple eye shaders: https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/1159/victor-and-frank-in-renderman.html

thank you Dario, that file looks really helpful, I will check it out!

You’re welcome. These are the video tutorials I mentioned, they cover the basics in RenderMan:

Stirling! : Automobile rendering in RIShttps://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/177/stirling-automobile-rendering-in-ris.html

Bitesized Lessonshttps://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/181/bitesized-tutorials-for-renderman-19-ris.html
https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/113/bitesize-tutorials-materials.html
https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/723/bitesized-lessons-3-ris-lighting.html

RenderMan for Blender is AWESOME!!! Still bit buggy on Windows… but AWESOME!!!

[TABLE=“class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container”]

v0.8.0 03/22/2016

• Lots of bug fixes!

• Fix an issue with artifacts in denoise

• Added controls for aperture shape to camera

• Open last rib button for debugging

• UDIM textures fix

• Adding and Deleting lights in IPR should work now

• Material color is set in Blender for viewport help

• Support a “World” light that can be either daylight or an env map

• Shader Parameters get soft min and maxes (can set values manually)

• Point lights correct when moving in IPR

• Copy and Pasting nodes should work

• !!! Longstanding IPR bug, the initial rendering with IPR no longer locks up Blender.

[/TABLE]

Thanks a lot for supporting Renderman in Blender, this is really amazing :slight_smile:

great! I am going to try the new version out as soon as I have a moment!