Pixar RenderMan for Blender!

Blender plug-in is not up-to-date :roll_eyes:

Maybe after B3D 2.8 is released, works on it will start again & maybe it will then become functional when PRMan 23 XPU is released… if there is enough interest.

For now, enjoy watching or start learning to use Maya… or Houdini (but support will come later on).

GPU Ray Tracing for Film and Design: RenderMan XPU
by Max Liani, Pixar Animation Studios
at SIGGRAPH 2018

Thank you so MUCH !!!
Those two links saved my life.
THANKS A LOT!

Genius!

RenderMan 22 for Blender 2.8.

Enjoy.

4 Likes

Thanks @Astorous !

After installing the add-on I get this error message when I want to activate it in the Blender 2.8 preferences:

Am I doing something wrong? I’ve installed Renderman version 22 in the default location.

It’s old. From November 2018 IIRC, probably needs to be updated to adapt to present b2.80 state.

Thanks. I just read that the Renderman 22 API hasn’t been released by Pixar yet. I’ll keep an eye on this topic for news about this.

Any developments regarding using Renderman in Blender 2.8, or is the Blender to Renderman connection dead and buried?

1 Like

They are working on it. I guess it could be released in next couple weeks/months, maybe on Siggraph ?

3 Likes

Thanks. Is Pixar maybe deliberately delaying the API publication for some reason? Renderman 22 was released several months ago.

I can’t imagine that they are doing it intentionally. I obviously have no idea for sure but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s an issue of getting all the documentation done. That can take ages.

1 Like

RenderMan is a pretty awesome renderer I have tried it myself once in 2017 and early 2018 now what i’m hoping for is RenderMan to be available for blender or at lease RenderMan 22 for Blender because the original RenderMan for blender doesn’t work anymore. what Im planning of is having my films rendered in RenderMan. but i’m hoping RenderMan 22 will eventually arrive in Blender 2.8

I agree with @Indy_logic that it is not intentionally. It is probably just not a priority. Maya, Katana (soon Houdini) are meanwhile supported.

Blender itself is in a similar boat with not having a C++ API, making external render engine integration painful. The Cycles devs have all the access to Blender’s internal functionality they need but for 3rd party addons it is not accessible. So investing time and developer manpower to implement a clean, well documented API was so far not a priority.

1 Like

I understand. It’s a pity though, as Blender was one of the first 3D editors that was officially supported by Pixar after the first free release of Renderman.

This is not a priority for pixar, excuse my english.

I use Rm with B279 for character, the rest for my scene is b for modeling & compo.

I think Pixar is also part of Disney , no?
This currently is the last comment on the blog post about USD . Just use the link of the time stamp below to get there

I currently work as the Lead Technical Animator/Supervising Animator for Fox VFX Labs (now part of the Disney family). Since our pipeline is very movie driven, so far we’ve been a Maya studio. Yet with the latest underwhelming releases with 2018 and 2019 I gave Blender 2.8 a look and was floored with how much progress had been made to have it be a production ready content creation application.

I’m in the beginning stages of talking with my engineering team about having it in our pipeline as an optional rigging and animation tool with the eventual goal of dropping Maya. Epic and Ubisoft’s funding is paving the way to getting blender the professional attention it deserves IMO.

3 Likes

Renderman just got another update:

Still no sign of a Renderman add-on (update) for Blender 2.8?

The last news maybe from here… https://github.com/tyler-furby/RenderManForBlender
??
Cheers…

1 Like

Blender render addon for Pixar’s RenderMan 21.0 .
won’t work with 22.6 no sign of update,probably due to rewrite of pixar code.
i believe its closed for now,blender wise.bsavery would be the one to ask,he is the original maintainer.

1 Like