Pixar RenderMan for Blender!

There’s another fork here:

The add-on seems to load with Blender 2.80 using NCR RenderMan Pro Server 22.6 but I haven’t tested it thoroughly yet.

2 Likes

Hey thanks alot for that info!i really miss using it.
i will do some testing as well.cycles works fine for me,but there is just something about render-man i like.
wanted to buy a license till development on the add on stopped.
Again many thanks.

It doesn’t work with Blender. I just tried it.

Okay thanks for the update. That sucks. I have sent an email to haikalle on Github.

Don’t hold your breath. The RenderMan 22 API has not yet been made public, so there is no working implementation for Blender. All ports to Blender 2.80, once you get them to load, will probably only work with the older RenderMan 21.

Is this the latest RenderMan API?:

Looks public to me.

The older v21.x RenderMan for Blender add-on needs to be updated for Blender 2.80. I do have RenderMan 21.8 as well but I’m not skilled enough in Python to rewrite the add-on myself.

In the mean time, here are some free alternative renderers for Blender. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to the C++ API.
Seems though not all of the API is available and Blender developers would probably want Python bindings to the C++ classes for easy integration:
Please note the new interactive API introduced in RenderMan 22 is *not yet* public.
https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN22/Developers%27+Guide

Okay, thanks for the correction.
Update:
There’s a work in progress RenderMan 22.x add-on for Blender 2.79 here:

Unfortunately Blender 2.79b segfaults every time for me when I try to render an example scene using RenderMan Pro Server 22.6 NC.

just to note, v23 is on…

https://renderman.pixar.com/whats-new

and maybe now things will shift a bit

1 Like

Yes, I’m curious to see if Blender support will be revived soon or not.

2 Likes

Nope! for what I think

1 Like

I’m also sceptical.

Strangely, Pixar was one of the first parties to acknowledge Blender as a platform for Renderman, years before the big rise of Blender. But I guess they lost their interest somewhere along the way, while the 2.8+ revolution would be the perfect moment to resupport Blender.

because thé dev who made the blender part works for AMD now

2 Likes

i saw it on a Houdini Workstation and it is very fast. Many new options to play around with it. So sad that there is now way to integrate it in Blender. It would be a great free bundle. But maybe some developers get some attention as RM23 is out.

Since the renderman hydra delegate is officially out, and it is the direction that other apps seem to be going. I would guess that the only way Blender can get Renderman now is through some kind of usd export or hydra viewport integration. With that integrating any renderer which has hydra render delegate should be easy.
I doubt pixar will now invest into developing some blender plugin done the “old” way.

Everyone interested in renderman for blender should check out the webinar tomorrow!

https://app.livestorm.co/pixar-animation-studios/new-bridge-tool?utm_source=Livestorm+company+page

20 Likes

I finished watching the new presentation. Well, it’s pretty much what I was expecting. Another outstanding achievement integrating RenderMan into Blender. Highlights include:

• Full screen, interactive, in viewport rendering. Just like Cycles. That means you don’t need to have the IT window hovering above your Blender window while rendering.
  • Light mixer look interesting. It’s nice to see that they added their own little floating windows for us to use in the viewport.
  • They added a bunch of little icons with menus for controlling different aspects of the rendering right up alongside the overlays menu.
  • ILM’s LAMA “Layered” shading integrated alongside older shading networks.
  • The level of interactivity is far beyond what we had before and matches Blender better. He showed adding and removing objects without a recompile of the scene right in the viewport. That’s a huge step forward for them and shows what can be done in Blender as far as render integration.

There are a bunch of new features in RenderMan 24 but I haven’t watched that video yet. All in all, I was very impressed and it’s great to see Pixar’s RM team getting excited about Blender. One thing I thought was really interesting was how the developer basically said that he really enjoyed working in Blender. He said It was a labor of love and a really great place to learn the RenderMan API better. :wink: He also said that Blender’s Python API was one of the best out there and made it a lot easier to integrate. So, good news all around.

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing

Hi Indy_logic,

Thanks for the kind words. Can’t wait for folks like you other Blender users to try it out!

Ian

10 Likes