Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

This actually makes me sick to my stomach every time I open task manager… :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Cycles Subsurface Scattering tips

Pixologic purists unite! :fist::laughing:

3 Likes

Bad decision to switch back to mac :slight_smile:
I will test the sss from octane and the addon news is great. I am also looking forward to the eevee rewrite but thats 3.2… Maybe finally with a bsdf hair shader…

Zbrush still currently has that 800 bucks and its yours perk, but not sure how fast you want to jump on it. Its not worth me though.

1 Like

first you tell me you were an Amiga owner…and now this! :grimacing: :laughing:

2 Likes

:laughing: As an ex-Atari ST owner you should remember the bliss of having one solid piece of hardware with its own stable OS, as opposed to hundreds of different PC configurations. :wink:

I was a content Mac user until Apple announced that they’d drop support for OpenCL, OpenGL and NVIDIA. I can tell you ZBrush runs a bit smoother and feels more solid on macOS. :slightly_smiling_face:

In early 2019 I switched back to a Windows PC with NVIDIA GPU, because it was just a better choice at the time. But with the current Apple Silicon chipset advancements and Metal support for Cycles, I’m longing for a return to Mac. No more blazing fans, and I just like macOS more than Windows, among other things.

3 Likes

I just had a look myself and it seems they still haven’t added this.

How many times a day do you change your socks? :wink: Fair points. I’m just VERY anti-Apple. More ideological than technical, but it was always way overpriced and I hate the fact that it…maybe we’ll leave that for another time…

3 Likes

Hahaha! I realize that I’m establishing a reputation of fickleness. I just like to hop back and forth between hardware and software, depending on my desires and whims. :wink:

Haha, no problem, to each his own preference. I’m glad we’ve got a choice.

But… The Amiga was better than the Atari ST! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Useful info back and forth, @Musashidan and @julperado , we never stop learning. :smiley:

Yeah, sorry everyone, we drifted off a bit. Back on topic: Maxologic! :slightly_smiling_face:

─ Edit: I’ve moved the SSS discussion to a separate thread. Next to cleaning up this thread I think it’s a useful discussion.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cycles Subsurface Scattering tips

It really was, and I say this as an old Atari ST user.

Though to be fair to it, I was 11 when I had it, and didn’t use it for much more than games. But still…

3 Likes

We’re about to reach the end of 2021. Pixologic and Maxon announced “The acquisition is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2021” so I really hope more details will be disclosed a.s.a.p…

5 Likes

Is the era of Zbrush end and the era of Maxbrush coming? :upside_down_face:

Maxon will rename it to ZBruscription. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I discovered today that my Artstation Plus subscription has become more expensive than an Artstation Pro subscription used to be not long ago. That is undoubtedly caused by Epic Games having recently taken over Artstation. I guess we can conclude that it is rarely beneficial to users when software is acquired by a big company.

1 Like

Wait a minute… Zadd… Zsub !! It was there all along !

4 Likes

PG seems pretty excited with the acquisition… so I guess there’s nothing to fear? :smiley:

3 Likes

They’ve got to make up for the free Artstation learning material they are handing out :laughing:

3 Likes

He may be excited about the money he will receive. Or maybe it’s the contract itself that makes him excited. :smiley: Looks like we’ll have to wait for next year to see what happens!

2 Likes

Paul is a great, sympathetic guy. I’ve had multiple e-mail conversations with him. Of course I wish him and the rest of the Pixologic team all the best, but at the same time I’m hesitant to keep using ZBrush, because I just can’t imagine that a commercial corporation like Maxon will not pull profit from the status ZBrush has in the digital sculpting world. And I wouldn’t mind paying a few hundred bucks for yearly upgrades, like I’ve done to keep up with Keyshot for ZBrush, but to me, $40 a month does not weigh up to what Blender Sculpt Mode already has to offer right now. I’m also anticipating investing in an iPad and an Apple Pencil, then jump on the Nomad Sculpt bandwagon.

But, having said all this, I still hope ‘Maxologic’ will soon make me happy with a reassuring announcement, so I won’t have to leave good ol’ ZeeBee. :slightly_smiling_face: Actually, I think it would have been better if they had waited with the announcement until the regulatory stuff had been completed, to avoid all the speculations.

5 Likes