Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

Whoops, didn’t expect that. :blush: Well, anywhere I used it I’ve placed it between apostrophes, that should suffice.

2 Likes

I actually do not want the liability of naming the next big evil corporation, thankfully there has been couple companies with the exact same. As usual we just copy from others or the nature.

2 Likes

This thread will now be used as evidence in court illustrating willful infringement on the part of the defendant, one Mr. kkar. We expect you to respond to the ensuing lawsuit forthwith, at risk of forfeiture.

4 Likes

For the price of one year Maxon ZBrush license (probably just $ 9999 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I can delete the evidence. :wink:

5 Likes

Let it be shown that one Mr. Metin Seven displayed blatant willingness to destroy evidence for monetary benefits. The damages committed by the defense against the plaintiff, and the conspiracy to hide said damages, plainly detail gross negligence of the rule of law and outright malice, illustrating to the court that the demands of $15,000,000 in compensation are reasonable and just.

4 Likes

Damn, the agents of mentioned corporation is already at work.

3 Likes

Lawyers are always watching.

2 Likes

When compared against Maxon licenses, this is definitely a bargain!

2 Likes

An interesting Reddit discussion about the Maxon takeover of Pixologic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZBrush/comments/ry48r2/thats_settled/

2 Likes

I particularly found this comment an interesting read.

3 Likes

Hi there.

Checking in once again to the Blender Artists : ZBrush or Maxilogic whatever thread. Coming here has felt a bit like huddling round a campfire in a circle of shared deep anxiety before the encroaching cold and dark. All the while sharing what little scraps of info or rumour that are there to be had. The EULA’s posted here sound so absurdly harsh and obtuse. Borderline comedically so I think.

I know it’s really not looking great right now. But let’s hope for some more positive outcomes. * Somewhere somehow. * To quote Stephen Sondheim

2 Likes

Oh dear.

2 Likes

$200 just for a license transfer.

3 Likes

I just deactivated my licenses and reinstalled them via the offline method. At least I can then reinstall them if I have to on my current machines, without having to use the existing license servers… which will be gone before you can say “WTF”. Maxon will move licensing over to their own servers, so beware, as they will most likely have a requirement to “phone home” on a weekly basis for license checks.

As an ex C4D-Redshift user and someone who is familiar with current Maxon business schemes, my prediction for the future of Zbrush pricing is:

• $500 yearly upgrades for “perpetual” owners
  • penalties if you skip a year and will then have to pay $750 for an upgrade
  • if you miss more than 2 years you will have to buy a new license from scratch
  • Maxon needs to recoup the massive cost of buying Pixologic, so I think new licenses will be increased to somewhere between $1200 - $1500 (they are currently $895).
  • Subscription will possibly stay at $39.95 but only if you pay for a year upfront. True month to month will rise to $49.95 or more
  • There will be less resources spent on ZBrush and development will become glacial within a year or 2
  • Perpetual licenses will be phased out within 2 -3 years, with the perpetual licenses being made gradually less and less attractive, by missing out on mid year updates that only subscribers get. Also perpetual and upgrade fees will slowly rise over this time.
  • Maxon will become the most despised CG vendor on the planet, even more so than Autodesk and Adobe. They will also buyout a few other smaller, well loved companies…maybe Marmoset Toolbag, Embergen and Cavalry…hopefully not Serif/Affinity…yeah I know, I shouldn’t be giving them any ideas!
6 Likes

Well that would be a shame! had enough of ADSK carpet-bagging tools then burning the ‘carcass’

Here’s hoping…

1 Like

If Maxon management drives the Zbrush developers beyond the brink of resignation with frustration, maybe the Blender Foundation can hire them to write a new view port/renderer to join Eevee and Cycles and have a bit of a go at the sculpting tools. I know I would throw a bit of money at them, despite my truly low spec and erratic demands of Blender.

The utter joy of doing everything in a single program cannot be described, a hang over from fighting Adobe/Corel/Quark/MS Office/Publisher et al software during my print media days. Needed to be more than competent using the myriad software that clients used, as none of them seemed to be able to follow the comprehensive provided instructions and deliver adequate PDFs, and always so many last minute changes after final proof signed off. So much time wasted waiting for software to load, waiting for brain to comprehend new UI, fighting muscle memory, consistently pressing wrong keyboard short cuts, importing, more waiting, exporting, more waiting, switching, more waiting…, over and over again. I find myself wanting Godot/Inkscape/Krita code added to Blender, with OpenSCAD, terminal, browser and a proper production/versioning server thrown in for good measure…

5 Likes

Great time to promote and put as much effort into Blenders Sculpt mode as ever before imo.
Sculpt vertex painting needs to be polished and into Master asap as a first step. That would be a cool new feature for 3.1 final.

4 Likes

Blockquote maybe the Blender Foundation can hire them to write a new view port/renderer

I hardly believe that the Blender Foundation can pay competitive salaries. From what I found out, a developer there earns max. 60k per year. But I may be wrong.

2 Likes

I’m planning to check out 3D-Coat this weekend, just to see what has been improved since I used it years ago. The 3D-Coat App Link add-on provides interesting interoperability with Blender:

4 Likes

Optimistic estimate of 230 000 Zbrush users, times $39.95 (one month subscription) is $9 188 500, 153 developers paid for a year at the cheap price of $60 000. I was only semi serious/tongue in cheek and if developing sculpting software is your passion, better than sitting of your hands I guess…

1 Like