[POLL] Armory3D šŸ†š UPBGE

I think there was is a slight miscommunication on my part. Yes, the Python source is part of Blenderā€™s GPL. I was referring to the C++ source part relating to Blender, which, I standby, is not used with Armory3D. Feel free to educate me if Iā€™m mistaken or missed something. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like blender add-on game engine. UPBGE is good but not full compatible with blender I guess. for example, mouse click select is different, I must hold command in MacOS. and, if UPBGE file is modified by blender, logic node will be lost.

1 Like

UPBGE is not only compatible with Blender but actually is Blender with additional features needed for game development :slight_smile:

As such, if you see any difference in behaviour between the two, it might just due to the fact that they donā€™t share preference settings, or it could be a version difference (UPBGE 0.3 is based on the master branch of Blender).

You can just copy the content of your Blender configuration directory (e.g. ~/.config/blender/3.2) and paste it over UPBGEā€™s counterpart to ensure they share the same settings.

Editing a file created by UPBGE in vanilla Blender is still discouraged, though as it will likely result in data loss. But thereā€™s really no need for that since UPBGE is pretty much a super set of Blender for the most part.

1 Like

Created a ā€œlicensesā€ section in the comparisons list:

This new addition isnā€™t meant to antagonize anyone and Iā€™d genuinely appreciate it if someone pointed out any incorrect information.

Random panda, Why not make a game instead of fan boying or go help someone with armory.

Itā€™s sad that we are here.

They are all good engines.

1 Like

This is a bit of ā€œapples and oranges.ā€ Last time I checked, Armory3D is a system built using the ā€œhaxeā€ cross-platform programming language which is capable of working directly with Blender files as input for models and such. It also has a nice ā€œvisual programmingā€ system which uses prefabricated logic modules.

But ā€œhaxeā€ goes considerably farther than that: it is is indeed a full-on programming language system. (For example, I rarely write JavaScript ā€œby handā€ anymore, and I like it much better than other tools for this purpose.)

I definitely encourage ā€œthe computer programmers among usā€ to check ā€œhaxeā€ out, because it is a very solid tool to add to your ā€œtoolbeltā€ (apart from Blender ā€¦) :+1:

If you & mysticfall would bother to check your facts before making conclusions; like with licenses, you would know that I am actually more busy helping with Babylon.js - not Armory3Dā€¦ even @mysticfall is currently using that game-engine ironically as you know.

Indeed they are, I absolutely agree.

Whether you and others choose to believe me, I made this poll because even back when I was helping UPBGE, a great amount of people were asking me publicly & privately what were the pros & cons were. I created this poll to answer their questions and if you do not believe that I am honestly telling the truth that is your right.

If you think one game-engine has a better ratio of flaws then the other, maybe that game-engine is not so good? Comparing game-engines does not make one or the other a bad game-engine, take the Unreal vs Unity vs Godot comparisons that have been going on for years.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever said anything incorrect about Armory3D here, while you falsely claimed that it does not use ā€œBlender sourceā€ and backpedalled from it only after I pointed out the fact.

By the way, Iā€™m still working on my UPBGE project and I use Babylon.js for my companyā€™s work for which Armory3D wouldnā€™t be an option either. So thereā€™s nothing ā€œironicā€ about it.

I still donā€™t have any intention to criticise Armory3D and even less inclination to have anything with you personally, especially after having witnessed your failed attempt to ruin the UPBGE community.

I know you have a grudge against me but please, leave me out of it.

1 Like

Last I checked, the dev. paused work on Armory indefinitely to work on Armor Paint. The latter seemed to attract the attention of a lot more people, so that is his priority.

UPBGE at least is continuing to be updated by people who will crawl across broken glass to make sure it does not die or see even a temporary halt in development (ie. there is a lot more passion involved).

I think itā€™s the opposite? If both software can be actively maintained, thatā€™s awesome, and I hope all the best for both of them.

For the record, youle has returned from a temporary leave and been merging the Blenderā€™s master branch to keep UPBGE up to date.

And Iā€™d suggest you to stop spreading FUDs about a project that doesnā€™t concern you any longer.

waiting for 0.26 . Hope to see new features

.26 has not really seen any work I know of,

I did port my world streaming system, itā€™s in resources.

1 Like

so upbge 0.25 is the last one ? any news on 0.3 armature modifier performance ?

Upbge 3.3x is being worked on right now, in the prototype branch, I donā€™t know when the next long term release is, but we backport bug fixes to those.

Itā€™s not ā€œthe last oneā€ upbge legaxy/ 2.5x just has no development that I am aware of

Meanwhile 3.3x has BGUI being restored =)

Like the use of scenes will also be restored? because that collection stuff is crap xD

1 Like

There work for realtime composition that is supposed to take place soon, around the time vulkan port starts winding down,

I think that pulling from multiple scenes / cameras is part of the design

BGUI in upbge 3.3x - by @lordloki_reloaded

Well, my choice is bge/upbge as game engines, in terms of export and compatibility with Linux distributions with Nvidia drivers, such as openSUSE/lmde5, armory3d and game game will not work in krom at all on such distros, also, most of blender shaders will not work with armory on export at all.
But upbge has its drawbacks, for example, it does not have an ide for bge scripts, so you will need to run the engine using a terminal to check all the problems with the code if at least one object behaves incorrectly; bgui will be a function of upbge in version 0.33, whose release is very long to wait, but in version 0.30 you will need to manipulate 3d objects to create at least some kind of menu.
So, for a blender user who uses Windows as the default OS and doesnā€™t care about exporting his game anywhere else, I would recommend armory3d as a game engine, but in other cases upbge would be the best choice.

Personally, Iā€™d recommend externalising all scripts and edit them using either PyCharm or VSCode. Itā€™s the way Iā€™m developing my UPBGE projects and I made upbge-stubs (bpystubgen) for that purpose.

Working on an UPBGE project isnā€™t much different from the way youā€™d do with a regular Python project. Iā€™m even managing all its dependencies using Poetry and running UPBGE inside the virtual environment.

I havenā€™t yet used Haxe. But considering its popularity, I doubt it has a better tooling support or development ecosystem than what Python has.

1 Like