[POLL] Who is actually using 2.8?

Yes EVEE , stable or not , which its pretty good.
20 time faster renders for me makes me look like a super hero.

Love your user name :wink:

1 Like

2.8 master is coming very soon so it makes sense to develop for 2.8 now

I donā€™t want to be harshā€“but unless your using 2.7 still because of features it has that 2.8 doesnā€™t, I donā€™t know why youā€™d be using 2.7.

2.8 is a FAR better application on so many levels. Start learning the UI now, or youā€™ll be behind the bell curve.

1 Like

Honestly, it took me a little bit to get used to using 2.8, but now I can never go back. Itā€™s just so good!

1 Like

Thanks all for new votes ! :slight_smile:

Just to make sure :
For me the goal of the topic is not to compare 2.79 and 2.8, I think it has been done again and again, every where else ^^ The goal was more to know how fast people are switching, how many people are still on the previous version, and why, etcā€¦ Of course every one will switchā€¦ One day. This vote is a good way to put a number on it. :slight_smile:

Yep, indeed for now Iā€™m using only 2.79 and itā€™s because Iā€™m using pretty much all the Python API, in a huge automated process, merging blender with some deep learning neural networks, and Iā€™m waiting for 2.8 Python API to be totally done, before switching to it.
In addition I need my renders to be unbiased and as realistic as possible, thatā€™s why, 2.8 or not, Iā€™m staying on unbiased raycasting rendering (Cycles, or others) for nowā€¦ So Iā€™m not in a hury for Eeveeā€¦ (I have the big chance to be regardless on the computation power, meaning ā€œfasterā€ render is not my point, for now)
In addition Iā€™m computing and rendering 24/24 7/7, so, the more stable the better :slight_smile:

It would be a pleasure for me (really :slight_smile: ) to go into further details, unfortunately it would be subject to a lot of professional confidentiality issues

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

Skynet? :wink: Iā€™ll sign an NDAā€¦

Well, exactly, in your case 2.7 is the way to go. All other reasons point indubitably to 2.8.

1 Like

Blender 2.8 has lack of game engine and even interactive mode. Thatā€™s why i see no point for me to switch. So i would like to have new cool addons for 2.79. There are already couple of cool addons aviable for 2.8 and unaviable for 2.79 (like Wiggle bones addon with collisions). :pensive:

We do not want to recommend 2.8 to a real newbie. 2.8 is certainly a usable beta, but it is still in beta.
Unimplemented features, detailed lags, fixes to speed and UI tweaks are still fine-tuned.
Those who are keen to 2.8 will use the beta version for that and give feedback.
But will it be possible for beginners to get there?
Some things that can be done in 2.79 are unimplemented or development stopped in 2.8, which is still being changed. Itā€™s like a game engine.
This is because novices who are the purpose of it may be discouraged.

And we are developing a simple add-on with 2.79. However, We will still look at 2.8 for changes and many improvements.
As 2.8 is still a lot of improvements and corrections, I do not think that I have to respond in a hurry.

But the important thing is to use the version you want to use, either 2.79 or 2.8, according to your own feelings =)
Be honest with your own feelings, even if you are a developer.
Do you do it because you want to do it, or do it at your own self-sacrifice for others?
Thatā€™s the difference.

2 Likes

Almost all the time I work with 2.8
I love Blender 2.8 but every new ā€œversionā€ is an adventure :sweat_smile:hehehe And more for me that I work on Mac Os x (with nvidia gtx, but macosx)
The question is to download each new version and evaluate ā€¦
Another drawback are the Render farms. For example, in RenderStreet they recommend a specific version (March), and that version is now old and outdatedā€¦
It is worth looking for the version that is most stable for you, just to enjoy EEVEE

how much would it cost to render a 1200 frame (1920 x 1080) sequence on renderstreet using blender? I need a solid animation render farm these days.

well ā€¦ that depends on the render time of each frame. Without that data you can not calculate it on any farm. If you want I talk to you privately because here they are talking about another topic.

1 Like

I am new and canā€™t make new topics so I will try to ask here

I have just downloaded Blender 2.8 on pc after having used it on mac, and here on the outliner I only see the hide/ unhide toggle and not the hide from blenderā€¦ etc. I tried downlading it again and the problem continues

I use Blender 2.8 to build models and transferring it to 2.79 for exporting because the system of exporting in 2.8 and 2.79 are very different. I heard 2.8ā€™s exporting system is very similar to Maya.

When the game I imported the model into have updated the system that can use the coding of system that was exported from 2.8. It wonā€™t be anytime until 2.8 is finished.

The cardinal changes, apart from reworking the interface with a huge pile of jambs and unwarranted rearrangements (especially a 90-degree turn of the panels and generally trying to make under Maya (and eventually get Frankenstein) and adding so-called ā€œcollectionsā€ and a new render, is not something I was expecting after two years of updates.

4 Likes

Had to choose ā€œi only use 2.79ā€ because there isnā€™t a ā€œ2.78ā€ option.
Jokes apart, I donā€™t feel that 2.8 will ever be what I look for in a software. Hoping Iā€™m wrong, but I donā€™t like the developement path (it seems more difficult to work alongside other packages, mainly due to the material/texturing/rendering system, which I find excellent for Blender itself, but very limiting when it comes to convert data fast for eg. use inside games and so on).

2 Likes

I used 2.8 on for a really tiny job ( 2 days ). The ā€œisolate object / renderā€ bug where it renders you whole scene when youĀ“re in isolate mode caused a lot of trouble.
I wonĀ“t use 2.8 again for work until things like that are fixed.

2.8 only for me at this point. Yeah, keeping plugins updated is a bit of a chore and as a general statement the software has still got a way to go in ironing out kinks. However, Iā€™m feeling very positive about the direction and features of Blender 2.8 and am looking forward to 2.81 in particular. Iā€™ve been updating my 2.8 build weekly since Alpha last August and Iā€™d say itā€™s been good enough for my daily work uses in the last few months. Also of note is the fact that, for me personally, 2.8beta is already more stable than my installations of 2.79 (which are both quite laden with plugins, to be fair). I managed to cope with right-mouse select for 5 years of daily use, but since 2.8 beta, Iā€™ve dropped that oddball behavior for left-mouse select and wonā€™t be looking back. The LMB-select and Wacom tablet workflow in 2.8 is fantastic and I no longer have to reorient my brain every time I switch between Blender and another software like ZBrush - thatā€™s mega.

One thing that worries me in particular when it comes to long-running efforts launched now on 2.8: is there a transition path planned for asset management, as soon as the deprecated proxy mechanism is replaced by overlays? If thereā€™s no smooth way to switch over this could drive large projects relying on library linking and proxies right into a brick wall.

Despite all the enthusiasm about that UI and stuff, I just canā€™t see where the thing is headed at the moment, continuity-wise, too much battle fog in the air yet. I have a feeling that using 2.8 in those situations is best planned wisely and in expectance of all kinds of trouble later on, or there might be some nasty surprises waiting.

1 Like

Iā€™m more using 2.79 because I am more to game development.And since blender 2.8 does not have game engine,I need to use blender 2.79

1 Like

I agree to @Gnrl_Azr. EEVEE looks incredible, there is no question about that. It was also a welcome surprise, that the Video Sequencer got some love as well. But unless 2.8ā€™s interactive mode is established, Iā€™ll stick with 2.79 due to the BGE being still there.

3 Likes