[POLL] Who is actually using 2.8?

if someone were to help youle - upbge eevee merge 8 is working now

interactive mode sounds great , but upbge using eevee does as well and it’s tangible now.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was always bugged one way or another.

In 2.7x you only get the object in the rendered view, but the entire layer is loaded into memory and the entire layer’s BVH is built. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cycles just did not know how to handle it properly.

Miratools and textools

no replacements for those.

I do not use 2.8. At least not yet. It will be difficult porting my scenes to 2.8 as 2.8 creates collections based on layers, and not groups. If there was some way to set the conversion to prioritize groups into collections, then ungrouped items to a generic collection, I would hop right in.

1 Like

Click the little funnel filter icon at the top of the Outliner and you can enable all the other visibility toggles. It just defaults to only showing the viewport visibility one now for simplicity.

1 Like

thanks!! I had already solved it haha

How can I save that preference?? It resets every time I restart Blender

Start with a new document (so nothing else is changed from the default that you don’t want) then set everything you want custom (that’s not a Preference) and then do File -> Defaults -> Save Startup File.

You can customize all your window and workspace layouts, open panels, tool options, global properties like render settings, renderer preference, etc. this way.

Even if the whole scene was loaded it was still a good way to quickly check things that are hidden by other objects. Now with the current bug you have to move the objects you want to see rendered to another collection and hide the other collections. This takes vastly longer and was a real deal breaker for that specific project I did.

I’m just a beginner and hobbyist so I’m not pushing the limits of the program. I tried 2.79 briefly and couldn’t stand it. I’ve been using the beta for a couple of months without significant problems and I’m starting to use add-ons, which also seem to work fine - no need to develop for 2.79 for me. :slight_smile:

Not for large scenes, it takes a long time to get through the preparation phase before you can even get a glimpse of the isolated object. Then there’s the potentially long rebuild if you change certain attributes of your shader or some of the settings.

The best way forward would be to have Cycles be able to handle this properly, which would be akin to treated the isolated view as a unique collection and therefore only load and calculate data based on what the user sees.

Well, obviously that would be better but the way it was handled in 2.79 was still better than the way it is handled now. Even for large scenes because at least you have the option even if it takes long. Now you don´t have the option at all even if you are willing to accept long preparation times.
I´m sure this bug will be fixed in the future but until now or at least until the last time I tried it wasn´t.

I use 2.79 professionally as I’m not handing clients beta software files.

I’m using 2.8 for my game modding and animation personal projects as it’s just so much cleaner and more polished than 2.79. I can’t say enough nice things about Eevee, even if you just use it to preview scenes for Cycles. I love the container system as well.

Multires based sculpting on 2.80 is not ready yet. I already shred my own works with it. For Multires, safer choiche is 2.79b. Alternative renderers (except Prorender) require me to return to 2.79b.

For many other applications, Blender 2.80 does a great job. If not nescesary, I wont renturn to 2.79b.

I switched very quickly to 2.8 because of EEVEE. My hardware-of-choice is a laptop that very quickly overheats when I try to use Cycles, so until now I used BI. (And I still need it, by the way, to support legacy projects.) EEVEE provides significantly better results, significantly faster, and it’s especially nice that it also works in the 3D viewport. This is using the system’s graphics hardware for its intended purpose, and it works extremely well. It has made an immediate and lasting impact on my productivity, and I generally haven’t run into bugs that interfere with that.

Purely the only reason I am still using 2.79 is add-ons that I purchased not working in 2.8. Once they are updated, I will probably stay with 2.8 going forward.

I still do my modelling in 2.79, its way more snappy and responsive. I don’t know how to explain it, I just don’t like modelling in 2.8

I m still using Blender 2.79 because i m feeling lazy to update some Blender 2.79 projects to 2.8 but mostly i m using Blender 2.8 for any new project and i m tracking bugs and working out to have a user friendly workflow.

I have been downloading the various zip builds of 2.8, but still revert back to 2.79 as that’s what i’m most familiar with.

I tend to do quick and dirty experiments and as such I dont really do enough in Blender at the moment to make the effort to learn the details of the new UI.

As soon as 2.80 is officially released and has a full installation executable, i’ll probably bite the bullet and make the switch.

Thank you all for your votes and your comments !
And thanks again @bartv for pinning this topic, I think that after >350 votes and >50 constructed response posts, the results are quite stable and explicit.

It was very usefull to get an idea of who has already fully switched, and who has not.
So to conclude I think that I will fully focus on the 2.8 part of my addons, and get the 2.79 part available as much as possible, specially when it’s only minor fixes.

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

3 Likes

just thinking about the much more user friendly UI, when the new GSoC 2019 outliner will be completed and implemented, I believe there will be a new overflow of external users and even the most attached to blender 2.79 paradigm, they will be tempted to make a final switching

2 Likes