Poly Haven's "Hidden Alley" Event, Submission #1 (Saber)

Start to finish, this Saber model took me 10 days to make, and I started almost completely from scratch. The blade was taken from the Machete model I submitted for Poly Haven’s previous competition (The Shed), but then I modified it extensively to give the blade more of a stylish, saber-y curve. Most of the texturing was done in Blender, as was the Normal map baking for the bizarre design on the hand guard.

Armor Paint was used to create the branding on the Saber’s base. You can’t really see it in either of these renders, but it says, “Elise Armory Est. 2018”

8 Likes

I was under the impression that sabres had either a half-basket or a knuckle guard? But sword classifications confuse me. Still, regardless of classification, it’s a pretty neat sword. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could be right about the guard needing to be a certain way…but I don’t know for sure because I’m not an expert, either. :sweat_smile:

One of the reference images I found had this kind of guard, though, so I’m hoping it’s still somehow accurate and on-point.

Small Update 17/05/23:

Something wasn’t sitting right with me regarding the initial two renders for the Saber, and I couldn’t put my finger on it until this afternoon.

Below is my attempt at addressing what felt ‘off’ about the first few renders. Hopefully this is an improvement, not a regression.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you, Bart! :partying_face:

1 Like