Polypaint in Blender! Its happening :D

Nope, sorry. I’m on ubuntu 16.04

When I get a moment, I’ll see if I can fix the paint ignoring the selection mask.

Hey Pachupp, could you point me to a page that explains how sample merged works? I’ve never used it before, I can’t seem to figure out what it’s supposed to do. If I can figure out how to get it to work, I think I can fix the bug.

It’s a bit of a mystery why undo remembers the size, strength, and color. I just shot Bastien an email.

Thank you very much Nathan for your work on this!

I really do not use much texture paint, and I had given a very basic usage to Vertex Paint so far. From the comments in this thread I’m just now discovering the “S” shortcut to select colors in Viewport. So now I am also just discovering “Sample Merged” and “Add to Pallete” options that appear in Operator properties menu when you press “S”. So now I have a question for those who are more used to working with texture and Vertex paint. Is there some way to make “Add to Pallete” option (with the “+” and “-” icons) always available there by default, and not only when you press “S” in viewport and by selecting “Add to Palette”?

I can not find any of this information in the online Blender manual.

edit:
I found it, the field with the text “New” and color palette icon. As you can see I do not use much texture paint :o

I really like your test! Impressive!

Sample merged “unchecked”
Color sampler should sample color of vertexes from current vertex paint slot. (Blend betwean two vertex colors should be taken into account).

Sample merged “checked”
Color should be sampled as it is in viewport. With shading etc. This mode works fine right now.

Edit: (didn’t know about vertex colors in the object data tab…)

not sure if we are talking about same thing. In blender you can have 8 vertex paint layers for mesh. I want to sample vertex color with this mode from selected one.

edit, check this, thats same thing but made for texture paint
https://developer.blender.org/rB93f107729cf7ab650716f525f2af8cd2a780e56a
you can ask this guy, he was kind to add this feature

hey, pachupp, how do you mix different vertex paint layers? I kinda tried to do that for the face paint in my last test, but couldn’t get it to look right.

Wow, I totally missed this… Things are making more sense now. I wonder why only 8 vertex color slots are supported… Trying to increase the max cap to 16, but that might break some stuff.

I found the method that adds vertex color layers in mesh_data.c, and from there I should be able to determine how to access the different layers. I’ll check out that link for texture paint too.

@sick, use blender node eidtor. In geometry node you have vertex color output and box where you can specify which vertex color layer you want.

@nathan, if its easy to add more layers then awsome. If its not easy, dont bother its not super important. What do you think about adding ability to add flow maps to blender?

@edit, sick. I see what you want to do. There is no way to mix vertex paint layers in photoshop style cause there is no alpha channel. All you can do is to multiply them. Thats the way polypaint in zbrush works. If vertex would have 4 values rbg+a it would possible.

Is possible to get a mac version to test it?

What the reason to use this, but not the regular texture painting?

Avoiding the tedius retopology and baking maps process. Obviosly only valid for certain works, like one simple render shoot or whatever, but not for animation. Also with the permanent improvement of software and hardware, why not to say, as a visionary thinking, that will be the futur of texturing.

To me vertex colors are a great way to blend shaders/maps/whatever through cycles using only a few strokes.

Also, consider that this more complex vertex paint is the basis for further texture paint since you can bake it to the uv mapped image of a lower res retolopologized object. Then you have the ability to really take advantage of the look development at the sculpt stage, and then transfer that look dev to the low poly.

PBVH painting also dramatically improves the performance and flexibility of weight painting mode. It should be much less frustrating working on armature skin weights now.

In realtime applications, artists will usually export high poly vertex colors to a texture which in turn is applied to a lower poly rig. It’s a pretty common workflow in other applications like mudbox.

Does anyone here know if it’s currently possible to export a high poly model as a bump map/parallax map which can be applied to a lower poly version of the same model? I used to do that a bunch in mudbox, but haven’t been able to do it in blender yet.

dirty vertex color option?

Ups, I did not reply with Quote…

Dirty vertex color option?

from 40s