Popup Vertex Group List (Weight Paint)

IMG_0006

Update 2019-09-18: Blender 2.80+ now supported!

Use this to add-on to show a list of vertex groups from your mesh and pick one to make it active.
This is especially useful if you like weight painting on fullscreen mode, or dislike the built-in way of having to click on bones to change group.

Download and instructions:

8 Likes

Very useful ! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @Safetyman!

New feature:

• Added an addon preference for it to automatically select the corresponding pose-bone when you select a vertex group.

I also moved the addon to Gumroad to spice up my catalog (it’s still 0+ though).
Since the code changed a bit you should remove the old version first before installing this new one.

Hi!
I have improved this popup list with a couple more features:

• “Relevant Groups” submenu: shows all groups that have weights for the current vertex selection (so it’s even quicker for you to change groups when weight painting). Select one or more vertices for this menu to appear.
  • Adjustable multicolumn layout: set the number of items per column to get a more convenient popup size.

The usefull thing. Thanks

Thx for the addon, I found it very useful.
Do you have plans for porting in to 2.8?

1 Like

@ZenYS Sure, I can add it to the to-do list.

1 Like

Update: Blender 2.80+ now supported, check the Gumroad page for more info!

2 Likes

-nevermind- It works with 3.0 (addon version 1.31)

1 Like

Thanks for testing it!

If you like this add-on, check out my commercial add-ons too:

Hi ive been using the addon for quite some time and in the recent versions im not quite sure in which actually but in either 3.2 or 3.1 ui within addon becomes slightly clustered up its not that big of a deal but popup window becomes like this whenever there’s more than one column of items

its bit clustered any chances for small fix for that?

1 Like

Hi.
Wow, that looks bad.

Upon debugging, it’s caused by adding operator elements to the popup UI.
I tried different ways of doing that, like filling in rows first then columns, or filling columns first then rows, using grid_flow(), using column_flow()… none of them work completely, they’re all broken in some way.

For the time being, I did fix a bug in the script that was preventing people to use the Dialog mode in recent Blender versions. This mode is labeled “Dialog (Select + Lock/Unlock)” in the add-on preferences), and still works as expected:

temp

However, the dialog doesn’t disappear right after you select a group – you either need to press Esc or hover the mouse outside the dialog for it to go away, which is slightly more cumbersome to use than the popup version that disappears on clicks.
You can find this new version, 1.3.2, over at Gumroad.

1 Like

Thanks for fast response and fix