Porsche Carrera GT - Short Action Car Chase Scene - Blazraidr

I like it :slight_smile: Im currently working on a nissan 370z, your topo is very good, how long have you been using blender?

I opened Blender for the first time 2 years and 10 months ago, and I’ve been using it ever since.

about the same length of time as me then :slight_smile: how many cars have you modelled because this is very good?

My first car model was a Camaro, and I followed the old 2.49 tutorial by Dark Scarab.

My second car was a Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe, which you can see a video of on my youtube channel. I’ve also posted it on these forums in the Finished Projects section a long time ago, if you want to find it.

This is my 3rd car which I’m modelling. I’ve also modeled a jet before, so that kind of helped.

Your topology… is AMAZING. Great work for only being your 3rd car model :smiley:

wow, im amazed that this is your 3rd model, i done a camaro a week back aswell, great looking car :slight_smile:
i’ll go hunt down your viper when i have time :smiley:
thats a good thread, i’ll be popping back there from time to time :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link to the thread! :smiley: Ill definitely use it for future reference :wink:

No new updates on the modeling, but I’ve updated the car material, and have been testing it out with colour. It seems to work well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30694260/Porsche%20Carrera%20GT/update_002/new_shader_002.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30694260/Porsche%20Carrera%20GT/update_002/new_shader_003.png

solid stuff, I likes

This is the carpaint node setup if anyone is interested.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30694260/Porsche%20Carrera%20GT/car%20paint.PNG

wow thats looking nice

Yeah, that is a cool shader you have there mate, curious, what is the layer weight node?
I have had an eye on this thread from the beginning, very good modeling as well.

Layer weight facing is 0.800, Gloss CTRL is 0.800, top Glossy BSDF is 0.150, bottom glossy is 0 and diffuse is also 0. The layer weight node, when using facing, gives a nice fresnel effect which is necessary for a car paint shader.

Hey, I was wondering, how did you get the wire-frame to work in Cycles? Or did you render in BI then in Cycles and the stitched them together?
I am working on my own car right now, and would like to use Cycles to do a wire-frame render, if possible, otherwise ill have to switch all the mats back to BI to render :frowning:

what is this gloss control is it a value only ?

thanks

Hey, I was wondering, how did you get the wire-frame to work in Cycles? Or did you render in BI then in Cycles and the stitched them together?
I am working on my own car right now, and would like to use Cycles to do a wire-frame render, if possible, otherwise ill have to switch all the mats back to BI to render

I first rendered out the Cycles image and saved it. Then I selected all the meshes and used the Setup Wire Materials addon to make black wireframe and white shadeless clay color. I then rendered it with Internal, saved it, and multiplied it over the Cycles image with the compositor.

what is this gloss control is it a value only ?

thanks

It is just a value node which I renamed. It’s nothing special.

I personally think a night scene would make everything look way more interesting. I mean… The police lights; blue and red lights bouncing all over the scene in the interesting darkness of the night, with street lamps, and all that stuff. Or maybe not, because it’s gonna be a highway. Although, that could make the moonlight the main source of illumination. ANYWAY. It looks that I’m planning your whole scene here :3. Don’t take it into consideration. I just wanted to say that a night scene could look very awesome, and also would a day scene. It’s up to you ;D

You suck. No seriously, im jealous. Ive made several attempts at cars w descent blueprints to help. After messing w them for a couple hours, I throw it away. How in the world do you get your lines so strait? Do you have a recommended tutorial on how to learn the style you use?
Ok man, keep up the excellent work, great job so far.

I’ve worked on this car for around 9 hours total I think. It wasn’t easy. I’ve uploaded the timelapses of my progress so far, if they could be of any use to you.

My first car model was of a Camaro SS and I followed an old tutorial by Dark Scarab (google). It was not a good tutorial, for it advised to use triangles and had disregard for edge flow. I did not know about edge flow and topology at the time so I took it as a good resource. It also took me a week to model it.

I guess my lines are “so straight” because I pay attention to the edge flow, and think of where the vertices should go before putting them there. It’s just how I’ve learnt to model over the few years I’ve been blendering. This style of modelling is referred to as Subdivision Polygonal Modelling iirc.

Some tutorials I would recommend are:
Grant Warwick- Hard Surface Essentials
Blender Cookie Porsche Modelling Series <— Haven’t seen it, though I just know it exists, and should be of help.

Topology Overview: The Head
Modeling a Human Head

The last two aren’t related to cars, however they should explain the most important thing when it comes to modeling - topology and edge flow.

Good luck, and thank you.

Ty very much for the information, I appreciate it!
Keep up the great work, I’m enjoying following this one.