portrait

Section 4 and 5

4 – LIGHTING, SHADOWS & REFLECTIONS

To light the scene, we use two lamps, a spotlight and a GI skydome

Here’s a small trick to point the camera at a fixed target and to get constant lighting regardless of the camera angle

Add an empty in the middle of the objects in the scene (Camera_target) and assign a Track To contraint Camera_target -Z, Y to the camera

Then the camera will always point to the center of the scene, no matter where its positioned

Next add another empty (Lamp_target) and add a Track To constraint Camera -Z,Y.
All that remains is to parent the three light sources to Lamp_target and the lighting will follow the camera when the camera is moved.

We also use an HDRI map for the reflections: beach_probe.hdr

5 – HAIR

To make the hair and the beard, we use a static particle system emitted by the mesh. For this we add a second semi-transparent material which will be used only by the hair and beard particles.

After roughly selecting the part of the mesh that will emit particles and making it a vertex group (hairs), we will procede to weight paint mode in order to specify the density and detailed location of the particles.

Then we use curve guides to make the particles move in the desired direction and thus determine the direction and length of the hair on various parts of the skull.

A screenshot of the hair

(I recommend, seeing the enormous amount of system resources used by the particle system, that testing be done with a Disp setting (% of particles shown on the screen) as low as possible)

Thanks a lot Orinoco, I’ve already added that part.

Alvaro.

there is only the last paragraph left, I don’t know how to translate it into english, it is a bit difficult to me.

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portrait

Alvaro.

Don’t worry about that, I decided to remove it.
It’s just a small speech about time render compared/ power of CPU/Ram (I’ve made this work on a real old and small CPU/RAM machine,and rendering time was very long, but it’s not really important)
Thank’s again Orinoco and Alvaro for your work, it’s really very nice! :wink:

I swear to god that is a portrait of my pe coach. So wierd it’s cool.

art_ligury: congratulations, in one of the last CGnewsletters, I saw a link to your tutorial. CGsociety’s loving you!! We are too. Great work.

art_ligury: congratulations, in one of the last CGnewsletters, I saw a link to your tutorial. CGsociety’s loving you!! We are too. Great work.

Yep, it is here:
http://features.cgsociety.org/newsletter/newsletter.php?id=282 cgwiki section

Congrats!
Alvaro.

Congrats to you, it’s also your job!.. :wink: (and all of them who gave some help and time to translating this report :slight_smile: )

alt_ligury, I am sorry that I don’t speak French, but I have a question about how you got your hair material to be associated with only your hair particles and not your head mesh. On my model, I created a vertex group that is roughly where the hairs will be emitted, but I can’t for the life of me find out how to assign my hair material to the particles that come out of it. Thanks for your help! Your tutorial is an inspiration!

p.s. I don’t want to hijack alt_ligury’s thread, so if anyone else knows how to do what I am asking, just PM me. Thanks!

Really fantastic work. Thanks very much for this tutorial.

great job! it would be great if video games came out with that level of detail. but they don’t.

1 Like

I found this site:

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Portrait

I don’t know if anyone else knows about this site, but it is a better translation than babelfish.

Hi, I’m now dive in modelling in Blender and never find a tutorial rich on examples and conteudo, I’m want some day to modelling as you…Congratulations!

Hi,

Magnifique! What a piece of art and thank you for the tutorial. Let’s see if I can make something of my own head…
In PS I added a blurred white dot in both your artificial eyes. A reflection on the eyes in Blender. Hope you like it.

Greetzzz,
Helen.

Attachments

Whoa-nelly! That is cool, alt_ligury! Wow! I am perplexed and speechless. I think I’d need a brain transplant to be able to model like you and Len. Maybe stem-cell treatments could help me?

ITS HIS EAR! i found it! i found why it looks CG! it his ear! his ear isnt as well done as the rest of the face.

good work by the way.

The mode is great I’ve recently been working my way into organics lately. Theres only a few small details I see. It looks like the texture might be streaching some at the forehead area just above the eye brows. Also the eye brow texture seems to run into the eye lids.

Maybe a few wrinkles on the eye lids would help too. All in all though very nicely done.

Wow! Love it!!! I just noticed something – the lips look a little dry. Or is that the real thing? I wish I could turn one of these oil portraits into something like that.

yes very good , but i think that guy is about to suicide. :confused:

Wow. That is incredible.
Ear is looking a little funky, though - like it’s different from the rest of the skin.