Precision Drawing Tools (PDT) Add-on for 2.8x

hahaha. indeed it will be very interesting. I will be wondering how long until he got used to it after all, practice make perfect! :grin:

:+1: :+1:

1 Like

Well, the first two attempts could have gone betterā€¦ Ā£$%&%$@Ā£-ing thing. :rofl: :joy:

Cheers, Clock. :beer:

EDIT:

I have revised the video with some comments, written of course, still no success voicing it, giving up for todayā€¦

I have been working on Tangents, difficult sums involved here (putting that mildly):

Still very much WIP, but we are getting there, if anyone has any suggestions for features to be considered in this regard, please advise me here, or over on DevTalk.

The system need centres and radii to calculate tangents, arcs are not stored as such in Blender so we have made routines to calculate these from arcs implied by three vertices.

It would be nice if there were routines in Numpy to help with the maths, I have gone right back to first principles in Trigonometry and Pythogorus to do this - do you know of any Numpy routines, a search of the Internet revealed zilch.

On another matter, I have given up on voicing the video, too many mistakes and I sound like a Muppet, so does anyone want to help with this?

Cheers, Clock ā€œNewtonā€ Mender. :beer:

3 Likes

A good idea would be to consult @stephen_leger on these math topics, if i recall correct he dealt with quite a lot of them in regards to his Archipack addon.

1 Like

Maths all sorted, no Numpy routines seem to exist to calculate tangents, so Trig and Pythagorus has been used. Now we have tangents working in all view orientations, here his an example in a weirdly rotated one:

The face represents two arcs and is drawn so Blunder can align the view, it seems to need a face to do thisā€¦

Cheers, Clock.

2 Likes

well, wellā€¦ :thinking: guess iā€™ll have to wait a bit longerā€¦ I was wondering when I will get to watch a video to learn more about PDT addon! :beer:

I hope you have been doing well!

What addon did you use to get the extra mesh objects in your video? ā€œSingle Vert, Round Cube, ā€¦ Gears, Pipe joints, etc.ā€

I think viewers might get confused with the tutorial thinking itā€™s part of your PDT addon, so it might help to add a note about where to download this.

It ships with Blender:

You just need to enable it.

Cheers, Clock.

2 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile: Itā€™s strange that you have to add a single vertex and then extrude to draw edges in Blender. (Even in the poly build tool, you need to start with at least a vertex first and then hold ctrl to draw.) That single vertex object is pretty useful and should just be in there by default until Blender has a draw vertex/edge tool that doesnā€™t need existing geometry. I canā€™t take a single vertex for granted anymore. :smile:

2 Likes

I have had message from a volunteer to voice the video for me, it might take some time, but we are on the roadā€¦

Cheers, Clock.

2 Likes

As a CAD designer whoā€™s recently picked up Blender, Iā€™m very excited to try this tool out. Thanks so much for this!

-TZ

Hi guys!

I saw that you mentioned NP_Station in your thread on Devtalk, but i couldnā€™t log in for some reason.

If you ever need anything from NP_Station feel free to use it for your own purposes, i waived all my rights in benefit of Blender Foundation and everything in it is released under GPL.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, we will look at how we can implement Align tools in PDT.

3 Likes

very useful addon, but not obvius how to use for non frequenty userā€¦ maybe you can to do some little GIFs using ShareX app, 1 gif for each feature and add it to wiki page.

thank you

1 Like

We are making video tutorials at the moment, fully voiced, not by me and in small doses so you will be able to watch just a simple process, or how to make a simple part. These will start coming on stream in a few days, depending how things go.

EDIT:

ShareX is not available on my Macā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

OK, The Trigonometrical Waves Generator is now built and under testing:

It works in the Working Plane as all other PDT functions, just needs some more testing and a few DocStrings to keep @ermo happyā€¦ :rofl:

I will upload this once I have tested the fudge out of it and am happy it will not break.

Cheers, Clock.

3 Likes

Hello clockmender
I have a problem as shown in the screenshot,
In an unequal-distance four-corner shape, I want to move the Cursor to the intersection of two blue lines. What should I do?

Ok, Select one of the two orange vertices, then SHIFT+Select the other orange one, then SHIFT+Select the white one with your mouse thus:

Set Operation to Move Cursor, then Click ā€œNormalā€ button:

The system will place the cursor on an imaginary line between the two selected vertices where a line from the active vertex (the white one) intersects with the imaginary line at 90 degrees.

Cheers, Clock.

2 Likes

Hell Clockmender,
Thank you so much for the tutorial, I know how to do it nowā€¦^^

1 Like

You might find this useful:

Itā€™s not totally up to date, but gives a good start.

1 Like