Project Olive character "Jonesy"

added his interior mouth

note to self: it’s always best to COMPLETELY finish modeling BEFORE you start rigging…

Attachments

Looks awesome dude! Glad to see this much progress on this project so far!

I would like to help but I can’t get my account to work on blendering.com, maybe ill try and make a new one.

note to self: it’s always best to COMPLETELY finish modeling BEFORE you start rigging…
Haha, join the club on that one! Looks like your rig is quite good judging on the quick pose. One comment I have at this stage re: materials, might want to tone down or turn off the sss.

At a guess and from watching the trailer, they have some ambient occlusion and solid meshes with pretty but basic materials. Not that you have to copy it by any means, it’s just given the ‘carved from wood’ style, the characters can afford to look a bit more ‘carved from wood’. Realistic effects at realistic levels on a stylised charcter might not work as well as sticking to all stylised. I’d like to see a half toon shader (ie toon shader with the rings blended together a bit - smooth set to .4 or something).

I know your materials are still to be tweaked and or textured, just thought I’d bring that up.

I also have to join the club of liking his hair too. :slight_smile:

haha, maybe i should start a “hair club for blen’” :smiley:

which materials are you talking about, the skin or the clothes?

yeah i’ve been playing with the SSS a bit, once i get a texture rolled out i’m sure i’ll play with it more. also after the textures are done, i’ll see if i like the toon shader. i’ve done a couple of test renders with that just to see, and i guess it looks okay…

Mainly talking about the skin, but if you went the ‘toon’ route, it would obviously be best to keep it uniform. Just suggestions. :slight_smile:

played with the toon shader settings, i decided against it. i was able to get a decent looking render with only shadow buffers (i had mentioned before that raytraced was required, apparently that’s not the case). also still need to do a texture map, at least for the skin/face. i may leave the clothing pure procedural.

anyways, got the rig re-done (had to redo it after i modeled the mouth and teeth :frowning: ) and banged out a quick walk cycle. i also added the soft-body for the hair, so it kind of bounces and blows in the wind as he walks.

check it out:

VIMEO
YOUTUBE

That looks really good! The softbody hair really adds a lot to the whole thing! Great work!

Good work. My only critique is that the walk is too uniform. His arms are rather unrealistic in the sense that they are extended too far away from the body. Also, when an arm comes forward, it would loosen things up a bit by dragging his hand just a little backwards, as if it were resisting the forward motion. Keep it up! I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Hey can we have the .blend for that guy already animated?

Real nice model! I think this is a cool idea.

The model looks awesome !! I saw the animation on youtube(I’m a subscriber)

@bigglesworth: yeah i had made the hand drag just a little, but i guess it wasn’t quite enough. i’ll work on that and bring his arms in a bit too.

@blenderman345: for now, we plan to release the supporting files for this project altogether after it’s completed. so to answer your question: yes, but not right now :slight_smile:

weight painted the face rig today, and played with some expressions. also textured him, he’s got freckles now :slight_smile:

he’s almost complete, but i don’t like the way the hands and fingers are rigged, i might go back in and adjust them. but he’s getting there.

Attachments

Looking good, mate!

i love the freckles, but you might want to keep them off the end of the nose, the upper lip and the chin. they look a little odd there because I’m not used to seeing freckles there in real life, but the “raccoon-stripe” of them across the cheeks and bridge of the nose looks awesome.

I get the dirty face in so much as he’s probably some sort of mechanic, but his hair looks a bit out of place now. Might want to dull the saturation of his hair colour a bit, I’m guessing the shirt texture comes later. Just thoughts.

@bendansie: the dirty face is the residue of a bomb going off too soon, as he’s the demolitions “expert” in this story. the shirt probably won’t have a texture, as it’s just a cotton “union suit” under shirt. altho if i need to put smudges and such on it, i guess i’d have to texture it… we’ll see what happens. for now it’s not.

adjusted the freckles as requested, and dulled the hair some. changed the color of his undershirt slightly, and added a pause in the middle of the walk. brought the arms in closer, adjusted the “hand swing”, and lessened the head side-to-side bob. the hair looks a little weird now; it seems to be blowing in the wind rather than just bouncing with his footsteps. i’ll have to look into it.

walk cycle take 2:
YOUTUBE
VIMEO

redesigned the goggles to be from that era rather than the modern look that they had. also added a subtle texture to the shirt.

Attachments

The shirt with the textures look a lot better! Great work! Can’t wait to see how far you go with this movie project!