psc10
  • Precision control
    psc11
  • Render animation with PSC
  • Possibility to combine all settings
  • Free vertex groups slots
  • The emitter doesn’t need a dense mesh

Limitations:

• Emitter must have UV map, ideally not overlapping.
  • Mesh changing modifiers must be applied to emitter.
  • Non-flatten emitter polygons should be triangulated.
  • Pointiness depends on topology.

Changelog
PSC v1.1

• Speed-up of calculations (stage 1)
  • Added feature Gather Camera - camera clipping with offset
  • Added Orientation - removes particles in the direction
  • Added Render Animation with PSC - PSC updates between frames
  • Added Animated Gather Camera switcher for consistent particles
  • Separated top/bottom Altitude feather
  • Fixed after recalculation changed active particle system
  • Fixed changing the order of particle systems show the hidden
  • Fixed unused temporary vertex colors are not removed
  • Fixed incorrect visualizers generated all at once
  • Fixed altitude visualizers can be created in the wrong collection
  • Fixed particles random scale changed after PSC update
  • Fixed particles emitted from verts don’t work with PSC
  • Fixed exception when invisible collider/gather collection is used
  • Fixed PSC defaults
  • Fixed a texture error in the old Blender version 2.80

Planned features for next versions:

• Speed-up of calculations (stage 2)
  • Distance between particle objects
  • Option to link collision settings
  • Settings presets
  • Collisions around particles with feather
  • Collisions by watershed
  • Improve pointiness
  • And more…

If you like this addon, you can support me by buying one of the two versions on Gumroad

Showcase:

17 Likes

What is the difference between the lite and full version? I tried to find differences, but so far I didn’t discover it.

Both versions are identical. The full version guarantees free future updates with new improvements and helps me continue to develop this add-on.

1 Like

This addon looks interesting, but I guess I’ll ask the question most are probably curious about. Most blender users that are looking for something like this have scatter (Paid).

Does this work with scatter? Does it complicate or compliment the workflow?

To me this looks like a collision scatter tool with some Boolean cutters? Is this meant to be a start of a similar addon with different methods? Just trying to clarify as there isn’t much info and a 2 minute time lapse. Would love to see more scene/workflow on this tool, thank you!

I don’t use Scatter add-on and I could be wrong, but Scatter uses vertex colors and depends on the emitter dense topology.
Changing the vertex colors will also change the distribution of the particles and cause the particles to “flicker” if, for example, you want particle distribution in animated camera frustum.

I use different approach and leave vertex groups free. Making particle collision don’t change particle distribution and artists have more precise control and still they can use vertex groups if they want final touch.
This add-on uses Blender particle systems non-destructively and you could probably use other tools without any problems, but I didn’t test it.

In my opinion Scatter is focused on replacing Blender particle systems workflow.
PSC is focused to complement native Blender particle systems workflow with simple way much as possible.

Scatter mainly distributes particle objects, but PSC mainly calculates the collisions of particle objects and removes them.

2 Likes

I’m working on the next update. The Altitude setting now has separate controls of top/bottom level feather.

psc1_1_01

2 Likes

Do you want clip out particles in animation without distribution changes? Do you want to keep the shadows of non-visible particles on the edges?

You can use the new feature together with the camera clipping offset.

psc1_1_02

3 Likes

Ok, bought!

Tested it out a few hours and works nice. I didn’t realize the first 2 seconds that we need particle system first. Once that expectation is set, it’s ok. I love the Self Colllisions, Gather around other particle, pointiness, valley, well actually all of the features. I will test more and see if users can combine it with other products that work with particles.

Is the camera clipping offset already included?

1 Like

The PSC add-on doesn’t create particle systems and must be set up first by user. Another add-ons might be handy for this task.
The PSC removes intersecting particles from existed particle systems according to the settings. The PSC has an advantage in cases where others addons fail. For example, the PSC doesn’t need the right topology and supports changes without changing the particles distribution. Cooperation with other add-ons, especially with the Scatter add-on, could be very powerful. I am interested in the result of your testing.

Features like Camera Clipping with Offset, are just a teaser for the new version 1.1, which I’m working on right now.

1 Like

Yes it works indeed with the Scatter addon, and they are complementing eachother. I’ve seen a question on the Scatter thread like “Is there a way we can avoid particles to intersect”. And that is now possible with the Gather Particles feature. I know that there are quite some people a looking for this. There was one solution in the past and that was (I forgot the name) something like a noise algorithm for particles.
But with this we can control all kinds of collisions. Surely that there is market for this.

So I tested it out and for those who want to try I suggest these steps:

• Start first with two simple particle setups with 6 bigger cubes and 500 small cones.
  • Later you can replace easily the cubes with plants from, for example the scatter addon. It’s really a piece of cake.
  • So you start very simple, and then you if you replaced the cones with daisies for example start with these settings like below:

Update: above is not the collision setup, but shows the collisions feature. There is a setting for Self collision in Collisions and you can also collide with other particles or objects

1 Like

Thanks for the nice addon!
It works nice with metaballs, very convenient:
PSC

2 Likes

The PSC can works with any type of particle object. Using Metaballs is a fun idea. :slightly_smiling_face:

Another feature for the upcoming v1.1 is to remove particles using Orientation.
As a bonus in the new PSC, you can animate and render any settings.

psc1_1_03

3 Likes

Is planned in next versions some control over particles on edges? I’m looking some solution to solve Scatter problem with grass on edges of curbs and pavements. Always a few clumps of grass are inside a curb or pavement. Is possible to erase one or tow selected particles by clicking on them in some “Edit mode” (it’s feature similar to Forest Pack addon for 3ds max). You are able in Forest Pack to erase one of two or more single trees or few clumps of grasses by “hand” after all items are scattered (for example You have scattered trees but one or two are to close to camera and You want to erase them).
Anyway - it’s really good addon. I saw a Youtube video and i love Your solution to prepare scattering based on UV maps.

You can do it in the current version using the Collision Collection. You can easily create a mesh enclosing your curbs or pavements with a certain offset and put them in a collection that is used as the collider.

psc12

If you want to remove some particles non-destructively, you can use the same technique using boxes placed at the particle position.

psc13

To remove particles close to camera, you can also use the Collision Collection with the sphere parented to the camera.

psc14

1 Like

Thank You for fast answer and all details how to solve my problems :slight_smile: Really good:)

1 Like

Next improvement, for the upcoming version 1.1, is to speed up the collision calculations.

Comparison v1.0 vs v1.1 (1 million particles with Self-Collisions):

• precision 256
    v1.0 - 5:42:27.5
    v1.1 - 19.3 sec

• precision 512
    v1.0 - 5:57:35.2
    v1.1 - 19.8 sec

• precision 1024
    v1.0 - 7:02:24.0
    v1.1 - 22.1 sec

• precision 2048
    v1.0 - 15:38:05.5
    v1.1 - 26.3 sec

• precision 4096
    v1.0 - 45:50:30.0
    v1.1 - 32.7 sec

Version 1.0 is slow with 1 million particles and I used only theoretical times.

3 Likes

You can follow me on Twitter for news about PSC.

I bring some news. PSC v1.1 will be released next week.
It’s right time to purchase actual version with free updates.

2 Likes

Excellent , works fine with blender 2.91 :grinning:

1 Like