Quick Favorites - Blender 2.8 Code Quest

news
(xrg) #1
7 Likes
(bnzs) #2

it will be very good if there will be ability to export Quick Favorites menus in file and then import it. Just like keyboard hotkeys…

And ability to change order of items in menu with drag and drop…

3 Likes
(TheRedWaxPolice) #3

This is probably asking too much, but I would like to have even different favorites menus for the 3 mesh component modes (verts/edges/faces), as I can see my favorites menu in the edit mode getting too crowded very quickly… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
(joahua) #4

That would be a cool tool for the workflow ! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

As Pablo is mentioning in the video - the Quick Favorites function in still a work in progress.
I hope they add a more elaborated way of arranging the collections of favorite shortcuts.

There is a nice free tool for Windows explorer called Foldergit. It is a utility were you with a right-click in the explorer can get access to folder shortcuts. So in many ways it is built around the same basic idea as Quick Favorites.

And Foldergit have a well thought through and easy to modify way of organising all the shortcuts.
With the possibility to add columns, separators and subfolders.

(Thinking Polygons) #5

Hahaha… It is not, trust me, I would love to have that capability too, it actually makes sense and would increase the flexibility a lot. :wink:

(Pitiwazou) #6

The best IMO would be to have a view of the menu or pie menu and append operators in it.
Edit the layout, add subfolders etc.

Something that allow people to do what they want like in zb.

(Thinking Polygons) #7

Even zmodeler has different menus for points, edges, and polys. But yes, be able to create menus and add anything you want like ZB is nice too.

(xrg) #8

Menu support for favorites. 2.8 still isn’t launching for me, so I can’t show it. :frowning:

blender2.8: UI: support adding menu’s to favourites

1 Like
(Pitiwazou) #9

Now this is interesting!

(Thinking Polygons) #10

Why is that?

(TheRedWaxPolice) #11

This is nice, but doesn’t work with all sub-menus… Lot’s of them when you right click does nothing… I hope that’s temporary…

(Pitiwazou) #12

I think they will add a quick menu editor.
We can imagine also a pie menu editor.

1 Like
(TheRedWaxPolice) #13

Nice… I hope we will be able to rearrange the order of the menu items there… And most importantly, be able to add any type of control there, like sliders, radio buttons, checkboxes and so on… :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Metin Seven) #14

I’ve just entered the interesting world of Blender 2.8, and am wondering if the option to reorder Quick Menu items has been implemented in the mean time? I haven’t found it yet.

(Thinking Polygons) #15

It’s still a dream. :v:

1 Like
(Metin Seven) #16

That’s a pity, but it’ll undoubtedly follow, hopefully soon.

(Thinking Polygons) #17

It’s good to have hope, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Customization doesn’t seems to be the goal of 2.8. :v:

(Metin Seven) #18

:slightly_frowning_face: I’m afraid 2.8 has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for a seasoned Blender user like me. Way too much change for a 0.01 version increment. I’m having trouble getting used to everything, can’t even find the simplest functions anymore in all the new tabs and sections, way too many keyboard shortcuts have changed, and I miss my old layers, to name some of my annoyances.

(zeauro) #19

That is not a 0.01 version increment. What was planned was a 0.1 version increment.
Unfortunately, time needed to accomplish that is more important than announced.
So, 2.80 will be a kind of 0.05 version increment release and the rest should occur in following releases.
That should also make them like 0.02 version.

2.80 will probably not be as fluent as expected for most of community members.
2.50 was an alpha, 2.51 a beta etc until 2.57 was released as stable one. But bugfixes of animation system really happened in 2.59. Then, there was great 2.6x and 2.7x reliable series.
They sincerely tried to make a revolutionary UI update as 2.5x series with less annoyances for users.
But they have to release something at beginning of 2019 to avoid to loose their contributors (sponsors or developers).
They still have 2 months or a little bit more. If progress is great during these 2 months ; maybe, they could obtain a little bit of extra time to make 2.80 better.

At least, it would not be as awful as 2.5 development. They are more numerous to work on a more massive blender. But they are more well-organized. So, 2.8 is evolving faster 2.5.
You should not have to wait 3 years before stopping to feel like that.
But maybe, it will take one year.
But remember, you are testing an alpha. Beta is not even out.
Nightly builds are an opensource advantage to test unstable development.
Although 2.80 may be frustrating by some aspects ; after 2 months of work it surely would be more reliable than what we have, now.

2 Likes
(Metin Seven) #20

Good points, @zeauro. Maybe I’m being impatient. I’m certainly not giving up… yet. :wink: