Radeon rx 580 for Blender 2.81 or newer?

My pc is old which lags on any complex scene,sculpting,any complex node setup. the specs of my old pc are: intel i5 3rd gen,16gb ddr3 and a 4gb geforce gt730. I am a learner to blender.After completing the beginner level,I want to start my journey to the next level.But my pc seems to be the biggest obstacle in this.I want to build my new PC with rtx 2060 super.But it goes way above my budget.Our local retailer is offering me a very good deal with gigabyte radeon rx 580 8 gb with a whooping $70 discount on the actual market price. Specs for my new PC are(what suits my budget): Ryzen7 2700x,2X16gb 3200 mhz ddr4,radeon rx 580 8gb.
My question is will this config be helpful to me ?? I know that I’m not getting CUDA or RTX on this build.All that I am looking for is a smooth and fast vieport.

Well, since you are aware of the limitations, why not?
Blender has problems with the viewport on any card right now, so yeah…

so it will worth the upgrade??

In comparison to your card now, most definetly yes.
I just wanted to remind you that a ‘smooth’ viewport is a general problem atm. But as a learner with not millions of polygons/ objects it should at least give you something workable.
And there is the ability to upgrade at a later point in time after all.
At least I am assuming we’re talking about a desktop PC.

definitely desktop PC. The retailer also assured me that I can return the GPU after few days if things don’t go as expected, and I can switch to Nvidia. But in that price range i can afford gtx 1660 6 gb (I will not getting that $70 discount).
will the extra 2 gb vram of rx 580 compensate the absence of CUDA??

No, you can just fit more data into your renders like more geometry and higher res textures.

Edit for things OpenCL related you should look out for the posts of user @Grzesiek he’s doing quite a bit of research in tgat regard.

which will give smoother viewport- gtx 1660 or rx 580. for rendering I can go for CPU rendering.I can also use my old pc in a network render.
Do you have links to any benchmarking result that contains both 1660,2060 and rx 580?? I have found a few,but they shows as a gamer’s perspective.I am not a gamer, I want to know from the field of 3dcg workflow. I just want to know the differences in respect of render time.

For NVIDIA I got you covered here:

I have no link for AMD at hand right now.

Would recomend you look at this link. shoudl give you a good view on actual performance.

the 1660TI is slighty faster then 590… so 1660 non TI vs 580 shoudl be similar as well.

If you can get the RTX 2060, then Go for that. THe RTX function give a 1.4 to 2.0 render improvements over regular CUDA.

1 Like

Here is a CUDA vs Optix comparision

The RX 580 offers an excellent viewport performance ( especially for the money ) and you dont need CUDA you can render on it using OpenCL. Also there is not much of a Memory Limit using Radeon’s becasue they can additionally use up to 50% system mem on top of that 8 GB ( albeit get slower that way ). Go with that until you can get a RTX 2070 or maybe get a used 1080 somehwere. More Vram is also good to have and when buying new there is no reason to go under 8GB nowadays - especially with the new viewport which will eat quiet a bit from your vram for its buffers which you will be missing when rendering. Also its nearly as fast as the 1660 while having more memory - and from my feel AMD’s Viewport Perf is better than nvidia’s ( i use both ). When you get the money together you still can add in your RTX 2070 whatever as 2nd card and leave one for background renderings. But at current discounts of teh RX 580 8gb its a no brainer - especially for beginners. And as mentioned already you do NOT need CUDA to render on the GPU - AMD runs on OpenCL which is essentially the same.

Cheers!

1 Like

so we can use both, nvidia and amd together in a system? I have came to know somehow that when we use twin GPU(with different size of vram) the operation runs on the smaller size.But can we use CUDA and opencl together while rendering?

That depends,

Yes and no. You can use them together via OpenCL altho as with any compute your limited by the vram of the smaller card. The more Productive way is it to run one Blender Instance ( and thats how i do it ) that runs on OpenCL incorporating the OpenCL GPU’s and the other Optix / CUDA. OpenCL works excellent for Background rendering Tasks as it does NOT need an extra CPU core to feed data in background like CUDA does. This allows for Example to do Animations or complex Frames in Background while your working on something. Additionally you can use the crowdrender Addon ( https://www.crowd-render.com/ ) to combine em together.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’m using Macbook pro mid 2015. Running Blender all version very smoothly, since the day Apple announced no more Nvidia I was planning to buy Radeon 580. I already have eGPU with nvidia gtx 970. Now when Nvidia is not supported in Apple I installed bootcamp windows 10 and there nvidia runs like a charm for Cycles. I also thought to buy Radeon so I won’t need to switch OS every time but cycles may seems not supporting Radeon Rx 580… Now I think I should also do some practice on Radeon ProRender https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-prorender-blender for Blender that is fully compatible with AMD cards and Blender… I’m not marketing or anyway supporting Radeon ProRender but just a solution to keep using Radeon 580 whoever has this GPU… . I can’t leave my GTX 970 btw!.