Realistic procedural stonewall for 2.8+

Hi all !

If i’m here it’s because i found lots of stonewalls textures but none suits my expectations.

Most of them, like the amazing bricks procedural shader Br'cks - Advanced Procedural Bricks [Free Download] use the basic blender nodes wich is far too repetitive for a sandstones wall.

Therefore i started a small procedural thing for eliminating all vertical & horizontal joints repetition.
Here comes the result:

Don’t look at the bricks colors ( they are for sandstone base color modulation ) but at the joints.

Those ones are all random ( horizontal & vertical ). This is the 1st step for a real random procedural wall.

As now am tired, i just give here the blend i made today.
Hoping you can change it and do awesome things with it :wink:
brickwall.blend (866.0 KB)

Hope you like it :slight_smile:
Enjoy and have fun with this !

Happy blending !

6 Likes

I added some distortion to make the mortar less regular. The nodes that I added are grouped in a frame.

brickwall_distorted.blend (1021.2 KB)

Edit: I added some nodes to make variations in the mortar thickness.

brickwall_distorted2.blend (1.0 MB)

3 Likes

hi @akikun :smiley:

This is exactely what i was going to do !
You made an amazing enhancement on this and i sincerely preffer the stones irregularity than the regularity of the brick texture node.
It’s much more convenient ( though not yet finished ) for making old-looking medieval buildings walls.

I’ll be back on this soon ( i got to finish my basilica texturing first ) for finishing the sandstone ( or any other kind of mineral ) and the joints content…

Thanks, congratz and happy blending ! :smiley:

1 Like

In 2 even if distortion is 0, mortar is not linear.

What do you mean with ‘not linear’ ?

It’s basically designed to be random^^

Oh ok i got it :wink:
You also have to set H and V thickness variations do zero.

Btw @Akikun did a nice and clean work. I’m a bit ashamed for my messy nodes part.
I will clean this ASAP

Happy blending !

EDIT: same thing as my 1st post but much cleaner with groups :slight_smile:

I also added some basic logical boolean operators ( wich are really missing in shaders code )
The result is the same as my 1st post ( except for the brick colors that i didn’t retrieve :rofl:

Here’s the blend.
brickwall.blend (925.9 KB)

Now i gonna integrate all this in @Akikun addings :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Here it is:
The @Akikun shader made cleaner with my part set up in groups :slight_smile:

result:

and blend:
brickwall_distorted2_cleaner.blend (1.1 MB)

Happy blending !

1 Like

I am glad you like it. You don’t have to be ashamed if your node setup is a mess. When I experiment with nodes, it’s very messy too. What’s important is to arrange the nodes properly when you are satisfied with the result so that when you come back later, you can easily see which part is doing what.

1 Like

Yes and also for other people to easily get in it :slight_smile:

Am baking gothic windows, so my comp is not very mighty :rofl:
i gonna give a try to sandstone material :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

Spent some time playing with the shader.
Simplified the 4D noise textures and added a sandstone texture coming from blenderkit.
I also applied some few dirt on wall…

I just got a problem with digging the joints…
The result:

and the blend:
brickwall_sandstone.blend (5.0 MB)

Happy blending !

1 Like

lil changes with the joints.
Am not yet satisfied as those joints need more irregularities, but it looks a bit better than the previous post :wink:

The blend is here :slight_smile:
brickwall_sandstone.blend (4.4 MB)

Happy blending !

You can add a copy of the setup I used to make the mortar irregular on top of the existing one with a smaller scale in the noise texture node.